• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mirror, Mirror On Our Wall: The Problem Of Mono-modal Faith

sealchan

I just finished a new post which attempts to cover the logical reasons why having faith only in the Bible is frought with issues of integrity that cannot be easily addresses and places one in a difficult position to defend their epistemology.

This post is a parallel one which is meant to discuss the same topic from a literary, metaphoric perspective...

If human history has taught us anything is that individuals or groups of individuals, no matter how generous or high-minded will eventually fall into self-serving attitudes that will eventually put themselves at odds with their own stated faith and its beliefs.

If we look into just one authority for truth, just one mirror to reflect upon ourselves in the light of that mirror's objective properties (say the specific stories, laws and other information in the Bible), we will inevitably loose perspective on a truth that is always greater than what a knower, his or her community of knowers and that point of reference (i.e. the Bible) has to say.

One's personal understanding always exists. One must work to make one's personal understanding match to that of an authority especially when a divergence arises that is problematic for that individual. That individual must either forego their own understanding willingly or hide that undeniable inner voice speaking "truth" within them. Given that none of us are perfect we can expect that in the story of our own personal understanding we will, over the course of our lives, need to live out one or more "story arcs" where our personal understanding gets corrected.

So as a Christian I have found it very important to keep several mirrors on my wall including the following:
  • The Bible
  • God's Creation especially as understood by science
  • Literary analysis including historical context and source material
  • Personal experience of grace and the transcendence of my own fears, faults and limitations
I trust that in my many mirrors, although I won't always see the same image, that my struggle to understand will yield a deeper, more three-dimensional understanding of truth than any one mirror can do. I may not always like what I see but I know that suffering comes whether you look for it or not. i would rather find it myself than wait around for it to find me.

A deeply distrust those who espouse one-way, one-mirror attitudes. I pray that the spirit of truth will help them to transcend such childish ways.

Any sincere comments, likes, dislikes and subscribes are welcome...

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I just finished a new post which attempts to cover the logical reasons why having faith only in the Bible is frought with issues of integrity that cannot be easily addresses and places one in a difficult position to defend their epistemology.

This post is a parallel one which is meant to discuss the same topic from a literary, metaphoric perspective...

If human history has taught us anything is that individuals or groups of individuals, no matter how generous or high-minded will eventually fall into self-serving attitudes that will eventually put themselves at odds with their own stated faith and its beliefs.

If we look into just one authority for truth, just one mirror to reflect upon ourselves in the light of that mirror's objective properties (say the specific stories, laws and other information in the Bible), we will inevitably loose perspective on a truth that is always greater than what a knower, his or her community of knowers and that point of reference (i.e. the Bible) has to say.

One's personal understanding always exists. One must work to make one's personal understanding match to that of an authority especially when a divergence arises that is problematic for that individual. That individual must either forego their own understanding willingly or hide that undeniable inner voice speaking "truth" within them. Given that none of us are perfect we can expect that in the story of our own personal understanding we will, over the course of our lives, need to live out one or more "story arcs" where our personal understanding gets corrected.

So as a Christian I have found it very important to keep several mirrors on my wall including the following:
  • The Bible
  • Personal experience of grace and the transcendence of my own fears, faults and limitations
I trust that in my many mirrors, although I won't always see the same image, that my struggle to understand will yield a deeper, more three-dimensional understanding of truth than any one mirror can do. I may not always like what I see but I know that suffering comes whether you look for it or not. i would rather find it myself than wait around for it to find me.

A deeply distrust those who espouse one-way, one-mirror attitudes. I pray that the spirit of truth will help them to transcend such childish ways.

if god created all things, then why limit self to one flavor? or why limit self to one book? or why limit self to one prophet?

taste the rainbow.

revelation 10:1

Jeremiah Ames

• The Bible

I think you’re on a very good path. Keep it up.

I do have one question. You used the word “faith” a couple of times in the previous post and then again here. How do you define that word?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

• The Bible

One can expand upon ones personal mirror and consider that God is found in all His Names, who are the mirrors of God in this world. We can only reflect what they offer.

So Abraham, Krishna, Moses, Zoroaster, Buddha, Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Bab and Baha'u'llah are some of the Mirrors, or Names of God this world has seen.

Each age of God is given a Mirror that becomes the path to Salvation, each age has its own challenges and this age is the 'Day of God', the Day all past Mirrors of God have promised we would witness.

Regards Tony

sealchan

I think you’re on a very good path. Keep it up.

I do have one question. You used the word “faith” a couple of times in the previous post and then again here. How do you define that word?

I probably should have said epistemology instead of faith...but epistemology is a bit heavy and technical. Way of knowing is similarly abstract but maybe also has problematic new age associations.

By faith in this post I mean personally trusted mirror or source of knowledge not subservient to ones own needs and perspectives.

sealchan

One can expand upon ones personal mirror and consider that God is found in all His Names, who are the mirrors of God in this world. We can only reflect what they offer.

So Abraham, Krishna, Moses, Zoroaster, Buddha, Jesus Christ, Muhammad, Bab and Baha'u'llah are some of the Mirrors, or Names of God this world has seen.

Each age of God is given a Mirror that becomes the path to Salvation, each age has its own challenges and this age is the 'Day of God', the Day all past Mirrors of God have promised we would witness.

Regards Tony

I certainly find much of value across the different mirrors which are different religious traditions.