• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracles

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why, are you looking for an argument?
In as much as this is a debate forum I would hope so.

And in answer to frbnsn, if miracles actually existed my guess would be that they wouldn't pop up for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and therefore be caused for a reason. So I don't see them as being contrary to the causal principle at all; the causal principle stating that everything is deterministic.

Shantanu

In as much as this is a debate forum I would hope so.

And in answer to frbnsn, if miracles actually existed my guess would be that they wouldn't pop up for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and therefore be caused for a reason. So I don't see them as being contrary to the causal principle at all; the causal principle stating that everything is deterministic.

Every thing must have a cause, right from the moment that It generated the illusion of the universe through will.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Every thing must have a cause, right from the moment that It generated the illusion of the universe through will.

Nope. The laws of thermodynamics, including the 1st law which accounts for causality did not exist until after this universe was formed. Therefore it it possible that our universe was uncaused.

danieldemol

Premium Member
can you identify god?
Only by a process of elimination which is admittedly problematic since we couldn’t rule out natural causes without a comprehensive knowledge of natural causes.

ETA which is part of the reason I don’t place much faith in miracles

ChristineM

Premium Member
Only by a process of elimination which is admittedly problematic since we couldn’t rule out natural causes without a comprehensive knowledge of natural causes.

ETA which is part of the reason I don’t place much faith in miracles

Nature is well understood.

Shantanu

Nope. The laws of thermodynamics, including the 1st law which accounts for causality did not exist until after this universe was formed. Therefore it it possible that our universe was uncaused.
Do you mean the law that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Beneficial happenings that we call Miracles do occur.
by definition they are unexplained.
Their causes are unknown.
An equally beneficial happening, that's cause is known, is not called a Miracle.

Miracles are usually put down to "God Did it"
However a more honest description, is that we have no idea how they come about, as we do not know of any mechanisms that might have caused them.
There is a very large difference between not understanding a cause, and denying that a cause exists.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
You are the person who is convinced that it told you all about the philosophy of causality.

Causality is not a philosophy. And you are the one laying down limits on how many words you will accept as education. And you are the one making claims that everything must have a cause.

So how about you stating in 30 words or less why everything must have a cause

Shantanu

Causality is not a philosophy. And you are the one laying down limits on how many words you will accept as education. And you are the one making claims that everything must have a cause.

So how about you stating in 30 words or less why everything must have a cause
Things were not as they are and they will change tomorrow: they were different yesterday, and the month before etc going back 14.5 billion years to the Big Bang such that every development was caused through evolution of the universe on whatever preceded it: do you accept that much?

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Things were not as they are and they will change tomorrow: they were different yesterday, and the month before etc going back billion years to the Big Bang such that every development was caused through evolution of the universe on whatever preceded it: do you accept that much?

Nope. Your train of events works well up to 10e-24 of a second after the bb and for everything above the quantum level.

Prior to the bb and after up to 10e-43 of second is unknown. Between 10e-43 and 10e-24 of a second this universe began to resolve itself including the formation of the universal laws that govern this universe.

Not for another 380000 years when the first atoms formed could those laws actually have real effect.

P.s. you post was more than 30 words... Your rule