• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracles in the Quran

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Is this one actually real? I thought it was a WikiIslam thing or from a weaker hadith. Source?
Apparently, according to Islamic legend, one wing has a poison, the other has the cure. That is why you have to dunk the whole fly in. (Ewwww.)

Sees

Dragonslayer
Actually it isn't.
This thread is for people to discuss 'miracles' in Islam. If there are miracles in it then it must point to something.

The prophet said: If a fly lands in your drink, dip it all in and then take it out.
?

oh-thats-nasty...jpeg

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Apparently, according to Islamic legend, one wing has a poison, the other has the cure. That is why you have to dunk the whole fly in. (Ewwww.)
Yeah, this is the same one I've heard, but I never knew where it was found. Is it really found in Bukhari?

Of interest, maybe:
Islamic science has come to this pitiful end » Pharyngula

All I've really seen on this when Googling is from "answering Islam", "answering Christianity", "WikiIslam", and forums, really.

Yuusif12

The outer surface of flies contains antibiotics killing bacteria and viruses. Because the flies come into so much contact with germs
The best way to release (liberate) these antibiotics is to dip the fly in the liquid.

1- Danny Kingsley , The new buzz on antibiotics, ABC.net.au, 1 October 2002.

2- Fruit Flies May Pave Way To New Treatments For Age-related Heart Disease, Burnham Institute, 2007.

3- The ointment in the fly: antibiotics, The Economist, December 3, 1994.

4- Protein in Fly Saliva Speeds Healing of Incisions, Wounds, Auburn University, 23 Jan 2005.

5- Fruit Fly Insight Could Lead To New Vaccines, Stanford University, March 11, 2007.

6- The fly effect: Russian scientists invent new medicine with the help of flies, St. Petersburg State University, 2006.

(Then He turned to the sky when it was smoke)

Last edited:

Xaseui

Is this one actually real? I thought it was a WikiIslam thing or from a weaker hadith. Source?
WikiIslam quotes all its sources. A simple Google search for "Islam fly disease" tells us what source it is. In this case the source is Sahih Bukhari 4:54:537:
The Prophet said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink), for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease."Sahih Bukhari 4:54:537
This issue is explored in detail with references at Wikiislam if you search "Diseases and Cures in the Wings of Houseflies"

Yeah, this is the same one I've heard, but I never knew where it was found. Is it really found in Bukhari?

Of interest, maybe:
Islamic science has come to this pitiful end » Pharyngula

All I've really seen on this when Googling is from "answering Islam", "answering Christianity", "WikiIslam", and forums, really.
It took me 5 seconds to Google "Islam fly hadith".

Last edited:

Yuusif12

The fact that no one at that time could bring anything like it.

And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful.

The Almighty said: (Then He turned to the sky when it was smoke) separated 11:

These verses were mentioned in the conference: Scientific miracles of the Qur'an, which was held in Cairo, and when a Japanese professor (Yoshidi Kosei) heard that verse he got surprised and said, this stunning fact did not reach scientists until very recently, after cameras caught a star, which is composed of a large mass of thick dark smoke. And then he said before this, we based stars forming on a false hypotheses that the sky was fog. and said this may be added to the miracles of the Quran.

Last edited:

Looncall

The fact that no one at that time could bring anything like it.

And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful.

The Almighty said: (Then He turned to the sky when it was smoke) separated 11:

These verses were mentioned in the conference: Scientific miracles of the Qur'an, which was held in Cairo, and when a Japanese professor (Yoshidi Kosei) heard that verse he got surprised and said, this stunning fact did not reach scientists until very recently, after cameras caught a star, which is composed of a large mass of thick dark smoke. And then he said before this, we based stars forming on a false hypotheses that the sky was fog. and said this may be added to the miracles of the Quran.

Stars have nothing top do with smoke or fog, but rather with nuclear reactions.

This sort of islamic blather is beneath contemptible. I am amazed that muslims are so ignorant that they do not realize this.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
We placed firmly embedded mountains on the earth, so it would not move under them… (Qur'an, 21:31)
This is actually one of my favorite hoaxes. It might sound plausible to primitive people who thought the world was flat, like a rolled out carpet, to people on the Saudi Peninsula who well aware of tent pegs. Contrary to this passage, the mountains do not stop the ground from shaking or moving.

idav

Being
Premium Member
So am I understanding this right? If the quaran manages to get something right it is a miracle? Farbeit that be it for them to have real knowledge and science to put in the book, it must have come from god?

Here is a gem from the quran that says to wash hands, must have come from god, people couldnt have just figured that out being a civilization and all?

5:6*O ye who believe!*When ye rise up for prayer, wash you faces, and your hands up to the elbows, and lightly rub your heads and (wash) your feet up to the ankles. And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. Andif ye*are sick or on a journey, or one of you*cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it.Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Here is a gem from the quran that says to wash hands, must have come from god, people couldnt have just figured that out being a civilization and all?

this touches on one of the things that has always bothered me about certain Muslims who promote the ignorance of Mohammed (and in really extreme cases Islam and humanity in general) in order to convince themselves of the "authenticity" of the Koran.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
So am I understanding this right? If the quaran manages to get something right it is a miracle? /quote]

I think it's unfair to ascribe that pattern only to the Quran. It appears to be the case for all religions.

Middle Class Christian American gets his cold cured after prayer: MIRACLE!

Child dies of cancer at the same second: God moves in mysterious ways.

AmbiguousGuy

We placed firmly embedded mountains on the earth, so it would not move under them… (Qur'an, 21:31)

But the earth certainly does move under mountains. Do you know anything about plate tectonics?

Look at the Hawaiian islands for an example. They have mountains on them, yet they all move.

suzy smith

Life is for having fun
What I would like to know is this. For many years I have debated with Christians and have had some very good debates.
Then about a year ago I got my copy of the Qur'an and started trying to understand this religion and debate with Muslims but it’s a very different experience. As can be seen here with this debate there is no reasoning whatsoever with them most of the time.
Its all a bit unnerving to me.

Last edited:

Yuusif12

I know I can't convince you to believe like this. Even if an angel came and slapped you on the face you would still dismiss it as hallucination.

Regarding those who disbelieved, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe. * God hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty they (incur).

suzy smith

Life is for having fun
I know I can't convince you to believe like this. Even if an angel came and slapped you on the face you would still dismiss it as hallucination.

Regarding those who disbelieved, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe. * God hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty they (incur).

O.K. why has God set a seal on my heart then. What have I done except not listen to you tell me you are right without any real evidence? And if an angel slaps me on my face I will first go ouch! and then listen to him. I am an atheist not an idiot.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Wow.
You must think really highly of yourself .

I mean, the arrogance you show thinking you can unseal the hearts and hearing of those god himself has sealed....

Who else is it told has such arrogance?

AmbiguousGuy

Or maybe you've just made a mistake and believe in a God who isn't real.

And maybe now you are angry that other people won't make the same mistake. So you claim that they have hardened their hearts against the truth and they will suffer greatly for refusing to embrace the same God as you embrace.

Maybe that is the reality here?