• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minnesota School District Reaches Agreement on Preventing Gay Bullying

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hopefully some good will come of this, and it won't face too much opposition or get shot down.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/e...ct-reaches-pact-on-antigay-bullying.html?_r=1
After years of accusations that it had failed to stop antigay bullying and a spate of student suicides, Minnesota’s largest school district has agreed to sweeping changes designed to prevent harassment based on sexual orientation in a plan that federal officials call a national model.
The sprawling Anoka-Hennepin district, just north of Minneapolis, approved a legal agreement on Monday night with the federal government, which has been investigating the district for civil rights violations, and with six students who had sued the district on charges that they had suffered unchecked harassment. Under the agreement, which must be signed by a federal judge, the Departments of Justice and Education will monitor the district for five years.

But some conservative Christian parents in the district, who had formed the Parent’s Action League to preserve the neutrality policy, called the agreement a “travesty.”
The lawsuit was meant to “abolish conservative moral beliefs about homosexuality,” Laurie Thompson, a spokeswoman for the league, told The Star Tribune of Minneapolis in an e-mail. “Making schools safe for ‘gay’ kids means indoctrinating impressionable, young minds with homosexual propaganda.”
I wonder if she has any idea how mean and hateful she sounds. It's very sad that some people are so concerned about society living up to their moral standards they would so readily forgo on the safety of children that outside of their moral code.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
But some conservative Christian parents in the district, who had formed the Parent’s Action League to preserve the neutrality policy, called the agreement a “travesty.”
The lawsuit was meant to “abolish conservative moral beliefs about homosexuality,” Laurie Thompson, a spokeswoman for the league, told The Star Tribune of Minneapolis in an e-mail. “Making schools safe for ‘gay’ kids means indoctrinating impressionable, young minds with homosexual propaganda.”

I think we all know what this translates as, and what is actually meant here.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently it is beyond this woman to realize that one can morally disagree with something and still play nice in the sandbox...

Asking

“Making schools safe for ‘gay’ kids means indoctrinating impressionable, young minds with homosexual propaganda.”
I sometimes wonder if Christians such as herself realise how much the rest of society tolerates them and their often objectionable views and beliefs. If the rest of society was to adopt her attitude I'm fairly confident she wouldn't enjoy the negative attention directed towards her and her children.

If thats they way she wants to play it then I guess we can start feeding Christians to the lions again and if she complains well we can just point out that any lawsuit against such practice would be an attempt to abolish atheistic moral views about Christianity.

My patience with these kind of people is wearing thin. Tolerance of others within a society is not intented to be interpreted as an open invitation to practice intolerance just because it's part of your belief system.

The idea is to encourage people to tolerate and look beyond their differences so that they can get on better but some people just don't seem to get this.