• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minimalism

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For a long time i had a dream of living a minimalistic lifestyle, and finally it has happened, in the prosess of moving i got rid of everything i did not use, or had not used for a very long time.
Honestly the prosess of not gaining things but leaving them behind has cleared my mind in a very good way, and is a reason why i was able to come back to RF long before i thought would be possible.

Have you any experience with living minimalistic?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I'm actually going through a very similar process too. I'm moving in a couple days, and while I never had a lot of things to begin with, I am finding fat to trim. I'm excited to move on and see where things go from here!

Have you had to alter your hobbies to save space? Thankfully mine don't really require much, but technology makes it easier to save even more space for sure!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes. I took that lifestyle up 10 years ago when I moved out alone. I only have art and laptop and books as my extras.
That is very similar to what i have now too. Except i have a tablet and not a laptop :) my smartphone will soon be history too since i thinking of buying a Phone with only calling and texting, no internet on the phone :)

Gargovic Malkav

For a long time i had a dream of living a minimalistic lifestyle, and finally it has happened, in the prosess of moving i got rid of everything i did not use, or had not used for a very long time.
Honestly the prosess of not gaining things but leaving them behind has cleared my mind in a very good way, and is a reason why i was able to come back to RF long before i thought would be possible.

I think about it often. For my country's standards I already live a fairly humble life and I have a tendency to shy away from luxuries and too much wealth. But still, when I see how some 3rd world country people live, I realize I still have a pretty luxurious lifestyle... I'm quite content with my current situation though.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

We were minimalists ... until the kids came. Now that they've gone, we kept most of the accumulation. We rent rooms in the house for extra income.
I hope to die with little though. When Dad died, we moved his stuff to the goodwill store in the back seat of my car.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

.when we moved to france a lot of excess was left behind. But we have 3 kids meaning some stuff is important to keep

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
.when we moved to france a lot of excess was left behind. But we have 3 kids meaning some stuff is important to keep
Yes, i think every human being are at different stages in life, and minimalism are not always an opion for every person.
For me at age 43 it was the right time and place to make a dream come true.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, i think every human being are at different stages in life, and minimalism are not always an opion for every person.
For me at age 43 it was the right time and place to make a dream come true.

I found it helps a lot with spirituality in that your external environment is a reflection of your internal. I've never liked crowded spaces so it came easier for me than others. I think you're off to a good healthy start.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I found it helps a lot with spirituality in that your external environment is a reflection of your internal. I've never liked crowded spaces so it came easier for me than others. I think you're off to a good healthy start.
I have to admit that i do feel a lot calmer now then before i started my minimalistic way of living :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have had too much, and I have had too little. I find everything is best when things are 'just right'.

Before meeting my husband, I was very poor by American standards. My apartment was too small, and my son's room was in the living room. We kept a couch in the kitchen(which was decent sized), and that was our 'living room'. Everyone gathered in the kitchen(it was my son, 5 at the time, and a roommate and I living there). We had too little, but we were mostly happy. It was annoying though, to have to bring guests into the kitchen to visit, and sometimes we didn't have enough things like dishes, toiletries, etc. I had to be careful with money to make sure there was enough for bills and food, but didn't buy much else. I don't think I'd go back to those conditions, though, because being in too small a space was impossible to keep clean, and that caused stress.

However, I have too much now. My husband is a borderline hoarder, and there is too much stuff. Much of it is junk, but we can't get rid of it for this, that, or the other reason. Though our home has adequate space, I am constantly struggling to find places to put things, because there is just no room for 60 shirts, or 4 pairs of ruined shoes(that someone might use someday), or a candlestick that was found at a thrift shop 5 years ago that we can't light due to kids/cats. That is stressful, too. Sometimes I get 'closed in', and just start tossing things, but most of the time its not worth the argument.

I think what works best is to find that balance.... when you have enough to meet the needs of your body, mind, and soul, but not so much that it inhibits those very same things.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have had too much, and I have had too little. I find everything is best when things are 'just right'.

Before meeting my husband, I was very poor by American standards. My apartment was too small, and my son's room was in the living room. We kept a couch in the kitchen(which was decent sized), and that was our 'living room'. Everyone gathered in the kitchen(it was my son, 5 at the time, and a roommate and I living there). We had too little, but we were mostly happy. It was annoying though, to have to bring guests into the kitchen to visit, and sometimes we didn't have enough things like dishes, toiletries, etc. I had to be careful with money to make sure there was enough for bills and food, but didn't buy much else. I don't think I'd go back to those conditions, though, because being in too small a space was impossible to keep clean, and that caused stress.

However, I have too much now. My husband is a borderline hoarder, and there is too much stuff. Much of it is junk, but we can't get rid of it for this, that, or the other reason. Though our home has adequate space, I am constantly struggling to find places to put things, because there is just no room for 60 shirts, or 4 pairs of ruined shoes(that someone might use someday), or a candlestick that was found at a thrift shop 5 years ago that we can't light due to kids/cats. That is stressful, too. Sometimes I get 'closed in', and just start tossing things, but most of the time its not worth the argument.

I think what works best is to find that balance.... when you have enough to meet the needs of your body, mind, and soul, but not so much that it inhibits those very same things.
I agree that the balance is to what needwe have. And for my self, living alone the need is very little, but if my girlfriend shouldmove in with me, its not sure my minimalistic way of life would be enough for both :)