• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind power

Spiderman

Veteran Member
How powerful are our thoughts?

Even an atheist knows that thoughts have power. They can change the way we feel and determine what actions we take.

But do our thoughts have power greater than that? According to scripture, yes.

Scripture speaks of faith that can move mountains. Essentially scripture tells us that our thoughts can move mountains.

It is biblical that our thoughts and words have power to change the world around us, cast out demons, cleanse lepers, give sight to the blind, and change the weather.

A person receives the Spirit of God into their heart with thoughts and sometimes words. Thoughts send vibrations, signals, and energy into the universe.

If all of this is true, I feel the need to be very careful what I think and speak. There is a litany of worthless thoughts I need to take captive in obedience to God.

Through effort and discipline, the mind can be trained to not think worthless negative thoughts.

Perhaps if we knew the power of our thoughts, we would strive very hard to not have worthless ones.

What are your thoughts about the power of thoughts?

Aldrnari

The power of the mind has been unknowingly tapped in the past under the guise of magical or religious rituals, imo. They have been studied, and modern science has found that results can occur in the form of placebos. I have experimented with some of this stuff, as well, and have found that it does work (at least, for me). It's pretty fascinating stuff. :)

I don't feel there is anything supernatural about it, though.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
The mind makes things real and unreal. its very powerful, and can be used against us. That's why not judging thoughts is a good remedy. :)

LionLooking

How powerful are our thoughts?

Even an atheist knows that thoughts have power.
Why single out atheists? I don't see how having no belief in any deity is relevant to understanding how the natural word works

. They can change the way we feel and determine what actions we take.
Very true. Positive and negative thoughts can affect our attitude and make us happier or more miserable.

But do our thoughts have power greater than that? According to scripture, yes.

Scripture speaks of faith that can move mountains. Essentially scripture tells us that our thoughts can move mountains.
If this is to be taken literally, rather than figuratively, then it is evidence that scripture is false. No one has been able to demonstrate this power.

It is biblical that our thoughts and words have power to change the world around us, cast out demons, cleanse lepers, give sight to the blind, and change the weather.
Yet no one can perform these miracles under scientific conditions (leaving aside demons).

Our thoughts are very powerful. They affect our outlook on life. But they are not so powerful that they can move external objects or cure diseases (save for the placebo effect, which apparently can cure some conditions - or at least make us feel better).

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Why single out atheists? I don't see how having no belief in any deity is relevant to understanding how the natural word works

Very true. Positive and negative thoughts can affect our attitude and make us happier or more miserable.

If this is to be taken literally, rather than figuratively, then it is evidence that scripture is false. No one has been able to demonstrate this power.

Yet no one can perform these miracles under scientific conditions (leaving aside demons).

Our thoughts are very powerful. They affect our outlook on life. But they are not so powerful that they can move external objects or cure diseases (save for the placebo effect, which apparently can cure some conditions - or at least make us feel better).
Yes obviously Christ was speaking figuratively , and I wasn't dissing atheists , but just making the point that we can all agree thoughts have power

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

What comes to mind currently is that the culture I am surrounded by seems to unwisely disregard the power inherent in words, story, idea, and thought. Perhaps it goes together with a general failure of humans to recognize powers and forces that they cannot easily perceive or point a finger to and isn't specific to American culture. Still, American culture in particular seems to not respect the power of story. I could name some possible reasons for that - cultural stories (yes, ironic) that disempower the power of story - but I'm not sure that's worth doing here.

Just mind your stories - the ones you listen to, the ones you tell to others, the ones you tell yourself. The stories you tell and listen to shape how you define reality. It's too bad this isn't explicitly taught to kids in school.