• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind/body dualism and quantum mechanics

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla

Assumes dualism. For those insisting on declaring materialism true and dualism false, don't expect me to reply.

Randomness
Toss a coin: 50% heads, 50% tails. But in a vacuum on a perfectly flat surface by a robot that throws exactly the same each time: 100% heads. I'll use this analogy in a moment.​

Wave function probabilities
Imagine a spinning top having measuring lines around its rim. Using a high speed cameral taking photos randomly, there is even chance of finding the top in any position.​

By analogy: Consider an electron in one of its orbitals having a probability function shaped like a barbell. Assume it's explained my some kind of multidimensional "rotation" such that, when observed randomly it appears as based on its probability function.​

Thus it is the randomness of when the observation/measurement is performed that causes the probability function to manifest and that causes the electron to appear "randomly" in one of its possible locations -- same as with the coin toss.​

Measurement / observation
Measurement or observation triggers the wave function collapse. There is some physical aspect of the measuring device that interacts, causing the collapse.​

I propose God is the one observing and measuring. By using the word God, I refer to some non-material conscious agent having super powers.​

An example from evolution
Suppose at a particular time in the distant past, God wanted lifeforms to evolve more advanced eyes than the primitive patches on the skin that detect light. God would consciously observe these patches more carefully, thereby triggering more wave function collapse events, resulting in more mutations and gene copying errors. Natural selection would do the rest.​

This explains: the creation of the universe with it's fine tuning, evolution directed via intelligent design, and human free will; anything requiring quantum mechanics "random" wave function collapse.

Thermos aquaticus

Thus it is the randomness of when the observation/measurement is performed that causes the probability function to manifest and that causes the electron to appear "randomly" in one of its possible locations -- same as with the coin toss.

How does that apply to the double slit experiment where electrons run into the detection screen on the other side of the double slit? In that experiment the screen acts as an observer. From what I have read, the observer doesn't need to be a conscious being. The observer simply needs to be a pair of particles that are capable of interacting.

Suppose at a particular time in the distant past, God wanted lifeforms to evolve more advanced eyes than the primitive patches on the skin that detect light. God would consciously observe these patches more carefully, thereby triggering more wave function collapse events, resulting in more mutations and gene copying errors. Natural selection would do the rest.

In this system, the DNA and the things it interacts with are the observers and it is these observers that continually collapse the wave functions.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Assumes dualism. For those insisting on declaring materialism true and dualism false, don't expect me to reply.

Randomness
Toss a coin: 50% heads, 50% tails. But in a vacuum on a perfectly flat surface by a robot that throws exactly the same each time: 100% heads. I'll use this analogy in a moment.​

Wave function probabilities
Imagine a spinning top having measuring lines around its rim. Using a high speed cameral taking photos randomly, there is even chance of finding the top in any position.​

By analogy: Consider an electron in one of its orbitals having a probability function shaped like a barbell. Assume it's explained my some kind of multidimensional "rotation" such that, when observed randomly it appears as based on its probability function.​

Thus it is the randomness of when the observation/measurement is performed that causes the probability function to manifest and that causes the electron to appear "randomly" in one of its possible locations -- same as with the coin toss.​

Measurement / observation
Measurement or observation triggers the wave function collapse. There is some physical aspect of the measuring device that interacts, causing the collapse.​

I propose God is the one observing and measuring. By using the word God, I refer to some non-material conscious agent having super powers.​

Suppose at a particular time in the distant past, God wanted lifeforms to evolve more advanced eyes than the primitive patches on the skin that detect light. God would consciously observe these patches more carefully, thereby triggering more wave function collapse events, resulting in more mutations and gene copying errors. Natural selection would do the rest.​

This explains: the creation of the universe with it's fine tuning, evolution directed via intelligent design, and human free will; anything requiring quantum mechanics "random" wave function collapse.
The wave function does not collapse due to mental observations or their would never be a double slit issue. Its physical measurement thats science refers to as observation. QM is not proof of an outside super observer, that would be a misunderstanding of of the double slit experiment.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
The wave function does not collapse due to mental observations or their would never be a double slit issue. Its physical measurement thats science refers to as observation. QM is not proof of an outside super observer, that would be a misunderstanding of of the double slit experiment.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Yes, I am aware that matter needs to interact with a wave function in order for it to collapse. Pure spirit cannot collapse the wave function.

Since creating this current thread I have proposed in my more recent thread a way it could work which I hadn't thought of at the time.

Thermos aquaticus

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Yes, I am aware that matter needs to interact with a wave function in order for it to collapse. Pure spirit cannot collapse the wave function.

Since creating this current thread I have proposed in my more recent thread a way it could work which I hadn't thought of at the time.

Perhaps we could go back to your original example.

By analogy: Consider an electron in one of its orbitals having a probability function shaped like a barbell. Assume it's explained my some kind of multidimensional "rotation" such that, when observed randomly it appears as based on its probability function.

So how do we determine where the electron is, how do we observe it? I could be wrong, but I think we use high energy photons such as X-rays. It is the X-ray and the detector that act as the observer. We humans simply set up a system where these particles will interact.

I'm not sure how you start with this type of setup and then get to your proposition that the act of God observing DNA causes more mutations.