• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micah's vision of "world peace"

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you interpret Micah 4:1-5 (mirrored almost verbatim in the Book of Isaiah)? The verse "nation shall not lift up sword against nation" in its Isaiah variant is of course etched in stone on the Wall of Peace at the UN headquarters in New York. It presents a powerful image, especially for its time and place in the eighth century BCE Near East, of future peaceful arbitration between states and of the conversion of weapons of war into tools of agriculture.

Do you think it should be interpreted metaphorically as referring simply to the "world to come" and not actual world peace on earth? Is it merely pious hope? Or do you see it as a reality which will happen one day on earth? If so, how?

If viewed from a purely secular perspective, what do you think of this ancient Israelite's vision of a pacified world order given the context in which it was written down?

Micah 4

New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

4 In days to come
the mountain of the Lord’s house
shall be established as the highest of the mountains,
and shall be raised up above the hills.
Peoples shall stream to it,

and many nations shall come and say:
“Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
and that we may walk in his paths.”
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

He shall judge between many peoples,
and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away;
they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more;

but they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees,
and no one shall make them afraid;
for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken.

For all the peoples [will?] walk,
each in the name of its god,
but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God
forever and ever

Last edited:

CMike

It's a messaniac prophesy.

During the messianic era we will have world peace.

You can also find more of the prophesies in Ezekiel 37.

Dinner123

There will be peace at the Messiah's second coming. His first coming was foreshadowed in Joseph who was rejected of his brothers and ended up saving a lot of people. That is the suffering Messiah of Isaiah 53 and elsewhere. In fact there are many scriptures about it. But, anyway that is why Jesus said, think not that I come to bring peace, but a sword. For His first coming, there would be no world peace, but a sword of division. The polarization of the world as the hearts of men side with the now manifest good or the old evil. And, even the division of men's hearts as they sway in their own hearts between the two opinions. So, His first division brought division all over the world, but peace with God, for whoever accepts Him.

And even so called "Rabbis" of old have believed in two messiahs, but I don't know if they made the connection that these two were one Messiah with two separate comings. But in fact two comings must happen, because for a time the Messiah goes into heaven; He sits on the right hand of the throne of God which is heaven. (Psalm 110:1) But, at His second coming He comes in the clouds of heaven to break the kingdoms of this world like a potter's vessel as Nebuchadnezzar's dream showed and at last He will set up His kingdom on earth and it will fill the whole earth as the dream showed and He will reign establishing world wide peace.

So, if anyone says it's a lie and the Messiah only comes once; then explain how He will sit in heaven on the right hand for a time, and explain how He comes in the clouds of heaven as Daniel saw and yet is born in Bethlehem as the scripture says? That is clearly TWO comings. First He is born in Bethlehem; that is one coming. And then later we see Him coming in the clouds of heaven as Daniel saw. That is the second coming.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
How do you interpret Micah 4:1-5 (mirrored almost verbatim in the Book of Isaiah)? The verse "nation shall not lift up sword against nation" in its Isaiah variant is of course etched in stone on the Wall of Peace at the UN headquarters in New York. It presents a powerful image, especially for its time and place in the eighth century BCE Near East, of future peaceful arbitration between states and of the conversion of weapons of war into tools of agriculture.

Do you think it should be interpreted metaphorically as referring simply to the "world to come" and not actual world peace on earth? Is it merely pious hope? Or do you see it as a reality which will happen one day on earth? If so, how?

If viewed from a purely secular perspective, what do you think of this ancient Israelite's vision of a pacified world order given the context in which it was written down?

I think its fulfilled today among true christians who are at peace with their fellow man, who refuse to take up arms and join the military, who all worship the same God of Jacob as a united group.

Absolutely fulfilled today. ;)

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
I think its fulfilled today among true christians who are at peace with their fellow man, who refuse to take up arms and join the military, who all worship the same God of Jacob as a united group.

Absolutely fulfilled today. ;)

Eh, the scripture refers to 'nations' not individuals who all share the same religion.

Your comment would be similar to saying it's fulfilled today among true muslims who are at peace and refuse to take up arms. Or it's fulfilled today among all Heaven's Gate who are at peace and refuse to take up arms.

CMike

There will be peace at the Messiah's second coming. His first coming was foreshadowed in Joseph who was rejected of his brothers and ended up saving a lot of people. That is the suffering Messiah of Isaiah 53 and elsewhere. In fact there are many scriptures about it. But, anyway that is why Jesus said, think not that I come to bring peace, but a sword. For His first coming, there would be no world peace, but a sword of division. The polarization of the world as the hearts of men side with the now manifest good or the old evil. And, even the division of men's hearts as they sway in their own hearts between the two opinions. So, His first division brought division all over the world, but peace with God, for whoever accepts Him.

And even so called "Rabbis" of old have believed in two messiahs, but I don't know if they made the connection that these two were one Messiah with two separate comings. But in fact two comings must happen, because for a time the Messiah goes into heaven; He sits on the right hand of the throne of God which is heaven. (Psalm 110:1) But, at His second coming He comes in the clouds of heaven to break the kingdoms of this world like a potter's vessel as Nebuchadnezzar's dream showed and at last He will set up His kingdom on earth and it will fill the whole earth as the dream showed and He will reign establishing world wide peace.

So, if anyone says it's a lie and the Messiah only comes once; then explain how He will sit in heaven on the right hand for a time, and explain how He comes in the clouds of heaven as Daniel saw and yet is born in Bethlehem as the scripture says? That is clearly TWO comings. First He is born in Bethlehem; that is one coming. And then later we see Him coming in the clouds of heaven as Daniel saw. That is the second coming.

There will be one messiah.

The "second coming" is a purely Christian concept that has nothing to do with Judaism.

Tumah

Veteran Member

If you would like an explanation of why you are wrong, feel free to open a thread and cite all your proof-verse. I will be happy to explain it to you.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I agree with CMike that it is a messianic prophecy and describes what the world will be like once the messiah/messianic era arrives.

I find the Book of Micah to be very meaning, and think that his vision of the future will very much become reality. In Chapter 6, he writes "He has told you, O man, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you: Only to do justice, and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God." If we all do this, then I think it can one day come to be.

Benoni

If you would like an explanation of why you are wrong, feel free to open a thread and cite all your proof-verse. I will be happy to explain it to you.
I agree there is only one messiah, His name is Jesus and He has many comings not just a second, the so called second coming is not even written in the NT

Benoni

Amos 9:1 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:
12That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.
13Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
14And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
15And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

Clarity

How do you interpret Micah 4:1-5 (mirrored almost verbatim in the Book of Isaiah)?

There are two other interesting passages that mirror each other, and on the same topic.

Isaiah 2:4:
"They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks..."

Joel 3:10, the opposite:
"They shall beat their plowshares into swords, and their pruning hooks into spears..."

It's obvious that the prophets were reading each other and borrowing each others words.

During the monarchy period (for most of it), Israel was engaged in a civil war with Judah. Syria, for the most part, was Judah's ally, Israel sandwiched between.

At one point, Israel allied with Assyria to weaken Syria, and it backfired when the Assyrians plowed right through and attacked Israel (their plan all along on the road to Egypt).

These were terribly bitter years for all 12 tribes, and it doesn't surprise me that the prophets waxed melancholy about them either positively or negatively, with hope for better years or discouragement that it would just keep going.

(There was a time mentioned in II Kings that Jehu murdered all the members of the royal family in Israel, then headed south and murdered all the members of the Judean royal family, perhaps in an effort to consolidate the 12 tribes under him. He missed baby Joash, and the war continued.)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Eh, the scripture refers to 'nations' not individuals who all share the same religion.

Your comment would be similar to saying it's fulfilled today among true muslims who are at peace and refuse to take up arms. Or it's fulfilled today among all Heaven's Gate who are at peace and refuse to take up arms.

The scripture is fulfilled today among Christians as described at Amos 9:1 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:
12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name...,

those who are called by the name of God have seen the fulfilment of the prophecy.... and it will find an even greater fulfilment during Christ's Millennial Reign.

There is a world wide christian organization to be found in all nations today...and its wonderful.

CMike

I agree there is only one messiah, His name is Jesus and He has many comings not just a second, the so called second coming is not even written in the NT
That may be the christian messiah, the jewish messiah will fulfill the messianic prophesies.

james2ko

How do you interpret Micah 4:1-5 (mirrored almost verbatim in the Book of Isaiah)?The verse "nation shall not lift up sword against nation" in its Isaiah variant is of course etched in stone on the Wall of Peace at the UN headquarters in New York. It presents a powerful image, especially for its time and place in the eighth century BCE Near East, of future peaceful arbitration between states and of the conversion of weapons of war into tools of agriculture.

That is most certainly not the case today. Hence it is yet future. Its fulfillment will occur when the Messiah (Jesus Christ) returns to rule and bring peace upon the earth.

Dinner123

the jewish messiah will fulfill the messianic prophesies.
I like that. Yes, He will fulfil them. But, tell me who can fulfill the prophecies of the suffering Messiah; for example Isaiah chapter 53? Jesus has already fulfilled these prophecies. And these prophecies must be fulfilled as surely as any prophecy about the Messiah's kingdom and reign. I conclude that we must have a suffering Messiah as it is predicted in the Word. And the Messiah must fulfil it or if he doesn't then he isn't the real messiah, he is a fake.