• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

meteor shower or divine intervention - what do you think?

What do you think about the account in Joshua 10:7-11?

• Hallucination

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meteor Shower

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Divine Intervention

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • They Made The Whole Story Up

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

t3gah

There is an account in the Bible book of Joshua that states that God sent down rocks and boulders to kill an enemy of Israel. Joshua was battling heavy forces according to the scriptures. There are many possible explanations that could expain what happened during the battle and they are:

Hallucination
Meteor Shower
Divine Intervention From God
They Made The Whole Story Up

(world english bible)

Joshua 10:7 So Joshua went up from Gilgal, he, and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valor. 10:8 Yahweh said to Joshua, “Don’t fear them, for I have delivered them into your hands. Not a man of them will stand before you.”

10:9 Joshua therefore came on them suddenly. He went up from Gilgal all night. 10:10 Yahweh confused them before Israel, and he killed them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them by the way of the ascent of Beth Horon, and struck them to Azekah and to Makkedah. 10:11 It happened, as they fled from before Israel, while they were at the descent of Beth Horon, that Yahweh cast down great stones from the sky on them to Azekah, and they died. There were more who died from the hailstones than who the children of Israel killed with the sword.

Divine Intervention.
The Israelites were fighting a war against the Lords enemies, and this happens.
How often does a random meteorite strike happen?Especially on a battlefield? Things like this happen in the Bible at a rate and such weirdness that it doesn't seem to be made up. How could people think of something like that?
I definitely think Divine Intervention.

fromthe heart

I assume it was as it said...hailstones...could have been meteor since it says stone but I feel it was just real bad hail from a storm. Hail CAN kill you. From heavens can mean any area from earth up to wherever the universe goes.

Just MY opinion.:)

jvi

Stones from Heaven are truths of God that destroy lies. The sword of God is truth. Joshua spiritually killed a bunch of pagans by using the truth of God.

You can spiritually kill whole peoples by showing them the lies of their pagan ways. For example, by using the truth of God I could spiritually destroy all of pagan Freemasonry and all of its Nimrod religions.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
fromthe heart said:
I assume it was as it said...hailstones...could have been meteor since it says stone but I feel it was just real bad hail from a storm. Hail CAN kill you. From heavens can mean any area from earth up to wherever the universe goes.

Just MY opinion.:)
Why 'JUST my opinion?' there should be no need to 'belittle' your view; I agree with what you said. Oh Blast! I realize I do exactly the same thing in my posts......:eek:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God were going to miraculously intervene in human affairs he could certainly find a more productive -- and less bloody -- way to go about it. If God really wanted to promote peace, amity and proper religious opinion He could easily bellow forth his injunctions from the heavens for all to hear and vaporise all weapons of war. He could override all electronic media and clearly explain his will to everyone.

Couching His will in countless arcane texts in archaic languages has produced nothing but strife for countless generations.

You cant win wars without killing people. Honestly, God used violence in different forms a couple of times, such as bringing down the walls of Jericho, which allowed His army to kill or enslave the men inside of the town. Men are too strong on earth, it seems to just convinve them, because they are either too proud, ignorant, or hate the Lord, and then when His armies come around, the lords "Chosen" or the army on the right side when. For example, if an army was happening to kill everyone and everything in their path, someone would intervene at the Lords will. Hard to explain.

Hope

Princesinha
Divine intervention. As the Creator, God can control and use whatever forces of nature He desires. Quite simple! :D

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Things like this happen in the Bible at a rate and such weirdness that it doesn't seem to be made up. How could people think of something like that?
"Beowulf" has a hell of a lot of random weird crap going on. So do many other stories. Does that make the bible true? The Qur'an has a lot of stuff like that happening as well, but do you believe in that blindy?

Just MY opinion.
smile.gif
I'm gonna agree with you here. It was hail. Hail forms more in warm places, and I'm gonna assume that that area was warm. And yes, hail can kill.

If the Bible says it, it is true.
smile.gif
Hmm... Indeed.

On the third day of creation, God gathered up the lower water and formed a flat surface with four corners. These corners are mentioned throughout the Bible (Ezekiel 7:2, Revelations 7:1). Of course, we know the Earth is not flat. Is the Bible right, or is reality right?

The Bible says that God made two great lights (the sun and the moon), but we know from exploration that the moon is not a light since it is merely reflecting the light of the sun, so, again, which is right, the Bible, or reality? The Bible legitimizes the occult practice of astrology on this day by stating that one of the purposes of stars is to serve as "signs" (Genesis 1:14).

Because the Bible says something does not make it true.

Stones from Heaven are truths of God that destroy lies. The sword of God is truth.
Nice theory. Work on it a bit more.

Joshua spiritually killed a bunch of pagans by using the truth of God.
Did you know that Abraham, the Father of Three Faiths, one of which was Judaism, which eventually gave birth to another, Christianity, was a so-termed "pagan"? Yes, that's right, Abraham worshiped multiple Gods, not just your God. Crazy isn't it.

Pagans are of no less worth than Christians. If (and only if), your God is the true one, he would still think us equal, because, indeed, he is supposed to be all merciful, and Jesus said that all were equal before his eyes. Gods, what a pompous attitude you have. :banghead3 You say that as if pagans are of little worth at all; as a plague, which is to be destroyed.

You can spiritually kill whole peoples by showing them the lies of their pagan ways. For example, by using the truth of God I could spiritually destroy all of pagan Freemasonry and all of its Nimrod religions.
Hmm? You can, can you? Destroy me then. I dare you. Truly, I do. I want you to destroy me. Use the mighty power of your truths. Damnit, why are you so intolerant! :mad:

You cant win wars without killing people.
Nonsense.

Honestly, God used violence in different forms a couple of times, such as bringing down the walls of Jericho, which allowed His army to kill or enslave the men inside of the town.
Apparently, they also raped the women, and killed the children, while you're oh so merciful God stood by and watched. Goody.

I'm not meaning this as an attack on Christianity, but some of you seem to have an attitude of intolerance that is not right. Your religion is not necessarily the end all be all religion of the world. It may be, or it may not be, but either way, pagans and other non-Christians are not the scum you scrape off your shoes. We are equals, as are our beliefs.

MrMorden

On the third day of creation, God gathered up the lower water and formed a flat surface with four corners. These corners are mentioned throughout the Bible (Ezekiel 7:2, Revelations 7:1). Of course, we know the Earth is not flat. Is the Bible right, or is reality right?
the bible never says that the earth is flat. people read too much into symbolic passages. however, the earth creates the illusion of being flat, and perhaps that is what was meant. or parhaps flat means stable here. a stable surface that humans and other land-dwelleres and readily live on. or perhaps any multitude of other possiblities that ultimately dont matter one way or the other.

The Bible says that God made two great lights (the sun and the moon), but we know from exploration that the moon is not a light since it is merely reflecting the light of the sun, so, again, which is right, the Bible, or reality? The Bible legitimizes the occult practice of astrology on this day by stating that one of the purposes of stars is to serve as "signs" (Genesis 1:14).

Because the Bible says something does not make it true.
again, the moon produces the illusion of being luminous, and does indeed serve as a light. the bible does not say the the moon produces its own light, it simply does not say anything to the contrary.

i dont see how the bible legitimizes the occult practice of astrology, perhaps you can enlighten me

i agree with that last sentence that just because the bible says something, doesnt make it true. humans must use the brains the god gave them, however, i believe the bible for other reasons

Did you know that Abraham, the Father of Three Faiths, one of which was Judaism, which eventually gave birth to another, Christianity, was a so-termed "pagan"? Yes, that's right, Abraham worshiped multiple Gods, not just your God. Crazy isn't it.
i think you are missing something here, please clarify what you mean by this

Pagans are of no less worth than Christians.
i agree

If (and only if), your God is the true one, he would still think us equal, because, indeed, he is supposed to be all merciful, and Jesus said that all were equal before his eyes.
and indeed we all are

Gods, what a pompous attitude you have. :banghead3 You say that as if pagans are of little worth at all; as a plague, which is to be destroyed.
the simple fact is that some believs are destructive and simply not good for anything. the people may not be any less important, but their beliefs are simply harmful. call me a hypocrite, but while some would call the christian beliefs harmful, i challenge one to do so and support why. as well as to what exactly its harming

I'm not meaning this as an attack on Christianity, but some of you seem to have an attitude of intolerance that is not right. Your religion is not necessarily the end all be all religion of the world. It may be, or it may not be, but either way, pagans and other non-Christians are not the scum you scrape off your shoes. We are equals, as are our beliefs.
i agree with most everything you said here, except that our beliefs cannot be equal. while it is impossible to prove my beliefs as right, it is also impossible to prove anyone else's beliefs as right, but that doesn't mean that neither are right or that both are right. it is hard to discuss these matters in a forum, but i challenge you place before me your beliefs. i will look on them objectively with an open mind as much as possible.

while i agree that the idea that its possible for everyone to have his/her own repsectie beliefs and that they all be equal is an easy diplomatic and somewhat enticing perspective, but it well could not and probably isnt true. this line of reasoning justifies anything. as ive said before and ill say again, i cant see room for more than one, central truth, for if there was then indeed there would be an infinite number of truths. either one or infinty, i cant see anything in between for obvious reasons. and if thats true then life ultimately means nothing and we're back to one central truth. as well as every murderer and rapist in history has been justified and should be no more guilty than the rest of us.

call me whatever you will but i find this notion disturbing to say the least. so while i cant prove anything i believe, i will continue to believe it until someone can present an argument that i cannot resolve. arrogant and hypocritical? perhaps, but i cant see anything else. so i challenge you to open my eyes. if they are indeed closed that is.

A

angellous_evangellous

Seyorni said:
If God were going to miraculously intervene in human affairs he could certainly find a more productive -- and less bloody -- way to go about it. If God really wanted to promote peace, amity and proper religious opinion He could easily bellow forth his injunctions from the heavens for all to hear and vaporise all weapons of war. He could override all electronic media and clearly explain his will to everyone.

Couching His will in countless arcane texts in archaic languages has produced nothing but strife for countless generations.
Christians and Jews do teach that a day will come when God will do just this. Jews look forward to the "day of the Lord" and the coming of the Messiah, in which time God will judge the entire world and bring all life into submission - and the coming of the Messiah will "override all electronic media and clearly explain his will to everyone." Chrisitans look forward to the coming of Jesus, in which precisely the same events will occur through Jesus Christ.

Your "nothing but strife" comment is an absolute statement, and absolute statements like this are almost universally false. What about all of the countless scholars that gave thier life to Christian theology, Christian devotion, and the study of ancient languages. The Bible only caused strife where it was abused.