• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Messiah and Mahdi in Bible?

InvestigateTruth

In the Hebrew Scriptures, Isaiah Chapter 7, a sign is given, that a Woman is With a child (see 7:14)
Then In Christain Faith, which is a later Revealtion according to Christian belief, in New Testament chapter of Matthew, this child was related to appearance of Jesus.

Likewise, in New Testament chapter of Revelation, there is a similar Prophecy regarding another woman with a child. (see Rev. 12:1)

Now, in Baha'i Faith, which is a later Revelation according to Baha'i belief, this verse in Revelation, is quoted in Baha'i Scripture as fullfilment of Prophecies related to the Mahdi of Islam. So, now this time this child is the Mahdi, promised one of Islam.

The explaination is that the woman is with 12 stars on her crown and has moon under feet and sun as her cloth and she is with a child (see Rev. 12)

Baha'i Scriptures interprets that, the Woman is the Islamic Revelation that came to Muhammad, which has a promised one, the Mahdi. The 12 stars are the 12 Imams, and the Sun and the Moon, were the emblem of the two Empires that were under feet of Islam, for the emblem of Persia is the sun, and that of the Ottoman Empire is the crescent moon.
and the Child is the Promised one of Islam to be born from Islamic Revelation, the Mahdi, who appeared as the Bab and in fact, continuing reading chapter of Revelation, the time that this child is to appear is 1260 years according to New Testament, which is exactly how long it took from Revelation of Islam to appearance of the Bab (the Mahdi according to Baha'i belief)

So, now the point of this thread is to compare, which prophecy can be seen to be fulfilled more clearly and accurately, and why?

Last edited:

Avoice

In the Hebrew Scriptures, Isaiah Chapter 7, a sign is given, that a Woman is With a child (see 7:14)
Then In Christain Faith, which is a later Revealtion according to Christian belief, in New Testament chapter of Matthew, this child was related to appearance of Jesus.

Likewise, in New Testament chapter of Revelation, there is a similar Prophecy regarding another woman with a child. (see Rev. 12:1)

Now, in Baha'i Faith, which is a later Revelation according to Baha'i belief, this verse in Revelation, is quoted in Baha'i Scripture as fullfilment of Prophecies related to the Mahdi of Islam. So, now this time this child is the Mahdi, promised one of Islam.

The explaination is that the woman is with 12 stars on her crown and has moon under feet and sun as her cloth and she is with a child (see Rev. 12)

Baha'i Scriptures interprets that, the Woman is the Islamic Revelation that came to Muhammad, which has a promised one, the Mahdi. The 12 stars are the 12 Imams, and the Sun and the Moon, were the emblem of the two Empires that were under feet of Islam, for the emblem of Persia is the sun, and that of the Ottoman Empire is the crescent moon.
and the Child is the Promised one of Islam to be born from Islamic Revelation, the Mahdi, who appeared as the Bab and in fact, continuing reading chapter of Revelation, the time that this child is to appear is 1260 years according to New Testament, which is exactly how long it took from Revelation of Islam to appearance of the Bab (the Mahdi according to Baha'i belief)

So, now the point of this thread is to compare, which prophecy can be seen to be fulfilled more clearly and accurately, and why?

NWT said:
(Revelation 12:5) 5*And she gave birth to a son, a male, who is to shepherd all the nations with an iron rod. And her child was caught away to God and to his throne.

In any version, I read the child to be our Lord Jesus who was caught away to God as to His throne.

InvestigateTruth

In any version, I read the child to be our Lord Jesus who was caught away to God as to His throne.

Well, the Chapter of Revelation is a "Prophecy Book". And Prophecy by definition is related to "Future Events". Jesus had come before the Book of Revelation was written. I am not sure how you conclude that the Prophecy is for Lord Jesus? Would you like to clarify? Thanks!

That's like if Jews interprete Isaiah 7:14 as Lord Moses. How would that be a Prophecy.

Avoice

Well, the Chapter of Revelation is a "Prophecy Book". And Prophecy by definition is related to "Future Events". Jesus had come before the Book of Revelation was written. I am not sure how you conclude that the Prophecy is for Lord Jesus? Would you like to clarify? Thanks!

That's like if Jews interprete Isaiah 7:14 as Lord Moses. How would that be a Prophecy.

It is unlikely that any is to take the place of the First born of Creation and the only Begotten Son of Jehovah. Part of the Chapter, it seems to me, is recounting what happened. Christ came into the world and was caught up out of it. The woman alternately represents Mary the mother of Jesus and the Global set of believers are her children. It is she, not her children, that are protected. Though it has been a while since I studied Revelation in depth, the woman may also represent truth. This may be why I see a shift in her meaning as I read through it.

Does that help at all?

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

It is unlikely that any is to take the place of the First born of Creation and the only Begotten Son of Jehovah.

Yes, it is unlikely, but not impossible.

"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." Rom. 8:14

So, Jesus was the only son of God in "His Time", but in my view the Scriptures is not saying that was the only son for all the time.

The only one who would take His place, would be His own Return.
But that depends on how we interpret Return.
Does it mean the Return of Jesus physically, or spiritual Return of Christ as a new person.

Well, the Scripture has already an example. Elijah was returned as a new Person, namely John the Baptist. Jesus was like a New Moses.
However because people of His time were looking for a physical Elijah, did not recognize John the Baptist who was return of Elijah according to Bible.

Part of the Chapter, it seems to me, is recounting what happened. Christ came into the world and was caught up out of it. The woman alternately represents Mary the mother of Jesus and the Global set of believers are her children. It is she, not her children, that are protected. Though it has been a while since I studied Revelation in depth, the woman may also represent truth. This may be why I see a shift in her meaning as I read through it.

Well, interesting interpretation. How do you interprete that the child went up for 1260 days?

Does that help at all?
Yes, so, let's keep up the converstation.

Avoice

Yes, it is unlikely, but not impossible.

"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." Rom. 8:14

So, Jesus was the only son of God in "His Time", but in my view the Scriptures is not saying that was the only son for all the time.

The only one who would take His place, would be His own Return.
But that depends on how we interpret Return.
Does it mean the Return of Jesus physically, or spiritual Return of Christ as a new person.

Well, the Scripture has already an example. Elijah was returned as a new Person, namely John the Baptist. Jesus was like a New Moses.
However because people of His time were looking for a physical Elijah, did not recognize John the Baptist who was return of Elijah according to Bible.

I must disagree. Jesus said "If you will" ... John was Elijah. That means to me that the spirit that Elijah gave to Elisha lay also on John to admonish at least the people to follow Jehovah.

Well, interesting interpretation. How do you interprete that the child went up for 1260 days?

Well to tell you the truth I'd not given it much thought. However, I got a surprise today. The Global church came under the domination of Constantine and became the Catholic church. It was that time that the Bible hid in the midst waiting for Martin Luther to study it's pages and post his Thesis. This no longer left the global set of believers protected.

With Martin Luther posting his Thesis. It became time for them to take up their crosses and follow Jesus instead of the Pope, start the reformation and the persecutions began again.

Yes, so, let's keep up the converstation.

Sounds good to me.

Avoice

Prophesy for God is more warning and admonition than prediction of future events. Though the "If" in each gives alternative futures, it is more about the spiritual state of the people and leaders.

Do the Jews think Moses is going to be born in the flesh again? I'd not heard that belief of theirs.

InvestigateTruth

I must disagree. Jesus said "If you will" ... John was Elijah. That means to me that the spirit that Elijah gave to Elisha lay also on John to admonish at least the people to follow Jehovah.

In either case, precisely speaking Jesus said Elijah has returned, and the Desciples understood Jesus was talking about John the Baptis:

"But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, ... Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist." Mat. 17:12-13

And the question was did Jesus mean His own physical Return, or the coming of another One, in His own power and spirit?​

Well, there is a hint in scrptures, That He meant His return as another person:​

Revelation 3:12 "Him that overcometh ....I will write upon him my new name."

That means the return of Christ would not be Jesus, but a New Name.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

12 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.”[a] And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.
7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
Reference : http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+12&version=NIV

i don't blame christians whom converted to atheism. :D

Do you think really those words are from God . :confused:

Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.

Dragon with 7 heads.

Why God needs to use riddles to tell us one simple thing.

You had mentioned that it was mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures and then in the new testament,so as you believe also in the quran then similar story should be mentioned as well,Where it is ?

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Well, I think let's go back to some of the fundamental parts of Religions.

The question is how does God speak to Prophets? Did the invisible Lord appear physically and spoke to them like a human?

From Islam, as well as Hebrew Scriptures, it is said God speaks to Prophets in Dreams and Visions.

"And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream." - Numbers 12:6

So According to Jewish Scriptures, How does God speak to Prophets? You can make the same point from Islam. Please refer to Quran and Hadithes.

But the Question is, when there is an inspiring dream, should this dream be interpreted literally or using symbols?

We can refer to an example in Quran, in Chapter of Prophet Joseph. The Man saw in his dream seven caws ate another seven caws. What was the interpretation of this dream? could the man intepret his own dream? Who could interpret it?
Can you please find this story in Quran? I have a question for you once you found it.
Because based on that I can reply to your other questions.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Well, I think let's go back to some of the fundamental parts of Religions.

The question is how does God speak to Prophets? Did the invisible Lord appear physically and spoke to them like a human?

From Islam, as well as Hebrew Scriptures, it is said God speaks to Prophets in Dreams and Visions.

"And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream." - Numbers 12:6

So According to Jewish Scriptures, How does God speak to Prophets? You can make the same point from Islam. Please refer to Quran and Hadithes.

But the Question is, when there is an inspiring dream, should this dream be interpreted literally or using symbols?

We can refer to an example in Quran, in Chapter of Prophet Joseph. The Man saw in his dream seven caws ate another seven caws. What was the interpretation of this dream? could the man intepret his own dream? Who could interpret it?
Can you please find this story in Quran? I have a question for you once you found it.
Because based on that I can reply to your other questions.

You didn't answer my question "where is the same story in the quran"

The verse in the quran about the king of Egypt is clear to be a dream which isn't the case for Isaiah & Revelation about the dragon with 7 heads and the angels fighting.

And the king said: Lo! I saw in a dream seven fat kine which seven lean were eating, and seven green ears of corn and other (seven) dry. O notables! Expound for me my vision, if ye can interpret dreams. (12:43)

InvestigateTruth

You didn't answer my question "where is the same story in the quran"
Why should the same story be repeared in the Quran? What would be the point when it is in the Book of Revelation?

The verse in the quran about the king of Egypt is clear to be a dream which isn't the case for Isaiah & Revelation about the dragon with 7 heads and the angels fighting.
You are right it is not clear if it is a dream, but Yes, that is the case in Isaiah and Revelation. If you read Isaiah 7, you see the Author says," The Lord spoke".

How does the Lord speak to Prophets? The answer is in the same Book "He speaks in dreams" and these dreams appear with Figures and Symbols. But you did not answer my questions.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Was he born in 1994. That was the fulfillment of the Prophecy in Rev when the Levy-Shoemaker comet impacted the planet Jupiter.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Well to tell you the truth I'd not given it much thought. However, I got a surprise today. The Global church came under the domination of Constantine and became the Catholic church. It was that time that the Bible hid in the midst waiting for Martin Luther to study it's pages and post his Thesis. This no longer left the global set of believers protected.

With Martin Luther posting his Thesis. It became time for them to take up their crosses and follow Jesus instead of the Pope, start the reformation and the persecutions began again.

Sounds good to me.

I beleive the meaning that you derive is not logiaclly drawn from the text and that it amounts to fantasy on your part.

InvestigateTruth

Was he born in 1994. That was the fulfillment of the Prophecy in Rev when the Levy-Shoemaker comet impacted the planet Jupiter.

There are several Prophecies in the Bible, when the year is calculated as 1844.

One way is related to the eighth chapter of the Book of Daniel, verse thirteen.

"In the eighth chapter of the Book of Daniel, verse thirteen, it is said: "Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot?" Then he answered (v. 14): "Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed"; (v. 17) "But he said unto me ... at the time of the end shall be the vision." That is to say, how long will this misfortune, this ruin, this abasement and degradation last? meaning, when will be the dawn of the Manifestation? Then he answered, "Two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed." Briefly, the purport of this passage is that he appoints two thousand three hundred years, for in the text of the Bible each day is a year. Then from the date of the issuing of the edict of Artaxerxes to rebuild Jerusalem until the day of the birth of Christ there are 456 years, and from the birth of Christ until the day of the manifestation of the Báb there are 1844 years. When you add 456 years to this number it makes 2300 years. That is to say, the fulfillment of the vision of Daniel took place in the year A.D. 1844, and this is the year of the Báb’s manifestation according to the actual text of the Book of Daniel."
Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 36-44

The Second way is in Daniel, chapter 12 verse 6:

"In Daniel, chapter 12, verse 6, it is said: "And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by Him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and a half; and that when He shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished."

"Time, times, and a half"is 3.5 days. each day of God is 1 year. 3.5 year is 1260 days, which again correspods to 1260 years.

"....each day of the Father counts as a year [According to Bible], and in each year there are twelve months. Thus three years and a half make forty-two months, and forty-two months are twelve hundred and sixty days. The Báb, the precursor of Bahá’u’lláh, appeared in the year 1260 from the Hejira of Mu
[FONT=Times Ext Roman,Times Ext Roman][FONT=Times Ext Roman,Times Ext Roman]ḥ[/FONT][/FONT]ammad, by the reckoning of Islám. "

And the year 1260 in Islamic Calander is the same year as 1844 in Christian Calander.

There are many other verses in Bible that talks about 1260 years, for example:

In the beginning of the eleventh chapter of the Revelation of St. John it is said:

"...But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months."

Forty two months is 1260 days, each day of God is a year according to Bible.

"This prophesies the duration of the Dispensation of Islám when Jerusalem was trodden under foot, which means that it lost its glory—but the Holy of Holies was preserved, guarded and respected—until the year 1260. This twelve hundred and sixty years is a prophecy of the manifestation of the Báb... "

Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions

And Finally the same year can be calculated from Islamic Hadithes and Quran.
According to Islamic Hadith and Quran, the Mahdi comes at the end of period of the People of Muhammad. and Muhammad said the period for my people is 1000 years. Now the flow of Revelation of Islam continued until the passing of the 12th imam in year 260 AH. and thus 1000 years after that is the year 1260 in Islamic Calander, which is the same year in Bible.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is unlikely that any is to take the place of the First born of Creation and the only Begotten Son of Jehovah. Part of the Chapter, it seems to me, is recounting what happened. Christ came into the world and was caught up out of it. The woman alternately represents Mary the mother of Jesus and the Global set of believers are her children. It is she, not her children, that are protected. Though it has been a while since I studied Revelation in depth, the woman may also represent truth. This may be why I see a shift in her meaning as I read through it.

Does that help at all?

i see no evidence to support this concept.

No doubt Jesus is the one who will rule all the nations.

I see no evidence to say that it was Mary. The author knew Mary and could have named her if she were the one. I think "global set of believers" is a stretch since the seed of the woman is a man and not necessarily all who keep the testimony of Jesus would follow him.

I believe the woman may be a symol of many things. The celestial woman which is part of the heavenly sign is Jupiter and Jupiter is the planet that is related to good religion and law. I think that she is also symbolic of Israel being attacked by her enemies and fleeing into the desert.

Muffled

Jesus in me
12 A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth. 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.”[a] And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.
7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
Reference : Revelation 12 NIV - The Woman and the Dragon - A great sign - Bible Gateway

i don't blame christians whom converted to atheism. :D

Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven.

Dragon with 7 heads.

Why God needs to use riddles to tell us one simple thing.

You had mentioned that it was mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures and then in the new testament,so as you believe also in the quran then similar story should be mentioned as well,Where it is ?

I don't believe that ever happens. It is possible for nominal Christians to do so but usually the problem is a materialistic view that rejects the concept of miracles not prophecy that is hard to understand.

Absolutely.

The comet was in pieces in a long trail like a dragon. The number 7 most probably is a symbolic number as opposed to an accurate count.

I believe He does that so only the wise can understand.

Avoice

i see no evidence to support this concept.

No doubt Jesus is the one who will rule all the nations.

I see no evidence to say that it was Mary. The author knew Mary and could have named her if she were the one. I think "global set of believers" is a stretch since the seed of the woman is a man and not necessarily all who keep the testimony of Jesus would follow him.

I believe the woman may be a symol of many things. The celestial woman which is part of the heavenly sign is Jupiter and Jupiter is the planet that is related to good religion and law. I think that she is also symbolic of Israel being attacked by her enemies and fleeing into the desert.

KJV from e-Sword said:
Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

Here she may represent either the global set of believers or the Bible itself as so many in the church persecute those who practice by what it says.

Avoice

I beleive the meaning that you derive is not logiaclly drawn from the text and that it amounts to fantasy on your part.

Jews do not believe in reincarnation and it is not a Christian teaching, therefore another explanation is needed. Since Elisha received the gift of Prophesy from Elijah who gave Elisha his share of the holy spirit, it is more likely that God gave that same portion of spirit to JtB.

Avoice

In either case, precisely speaking Jesus said Elijah has returned, and the Desciples understood Jesus was talking about John the Baptis:

"But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, ... Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist." Mat. 17:12-13

And the question was did Jesus mean His own physical Return, or the coming of another One, in His own power and spirit?​

Well, there is a hint in scrptures, That He meant His return as another person:​

Revelation 3:12 "Him that overcometh ....I will write upon him my new name."

That means the return of Christ would not be Jesus, but a New Name.

Ok are you talking Reincarnation or what in relation to John who represented Elijah?

Are you talking reincarnation or resurrection in relation to Jesus?

I do not believe the two are comparable.