• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Liberation

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
This post is reposted with permission:
Traditionally clothing was really different between men and women and women had to wear skirts and dresses, never pants. And women's shirts were called blouses. Gradually this has broken down for women but less so for men. Now the term is "top" which can apply to men's and women's shirts.

I have narrow and relatively small feet for a guy so I look at some women's athletic shoes when the construction is the same. I once surprised a shoe clerk by asking if they had a "B" size "women's" shoe that would fit me. The sales clerk said he'd heard women asking for men's sizes but never a man asking about women's sizes.

I also had a couple of women tell me I was "daring" for wearing a purple t-shirt for goodness sake.

Very very slowly men are getting the freedom women have to wear anything.

What purple t-shirt was I wearing? Perhaps this one
loving-wolves-ls-t-shirt-10070.jpg

Men are held hostage by colors? Who makes up these silly rules, and who enforces them?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Men are held hostage by colors? Who makes up these silly rules, and who enforces them?
The Patriarchy, of course.

But in all seriousness, it's the Matriarchy.
Try wearing a Hawaiian shirt to a funeral service.
See how Mrs Revolt reacts.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Wear a pink shirt and pants and walk by a construction site. That will tell you who enforces the color rules.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some initial thoughts:
Violate the dress code and you'll get negative reactions from all sides. Clothes are status markers. They signal social rank, mores, attitudes and politics. They enable society's norms and social hierarchies.
Your clothes signal your 'place'. They signal others how they may most comfortable interact with you.

If someone makes a sartorial claim that seems inappropriate, others of both sexes (all sexes?) will react, they may be put off, they may be angry or confused; amused or threatened.

When women began donning masculine attire it was scandalous. It was a claim for higher status and privilege. Males felt threatened and unmanned by the arrogance, women just from the rent in their delicate social position.

Men donning lower rank markers is disturbing, particularly to low status men, as Sunrise pointed out in post #8.

People form tribes; "status communities," that interact with different status communities in socially prescribed ways. People like things familiar and predictable, particularly those with 'conservative' neurological patterns. Novelty and unpredictability is threatening.

crossfire

Premium Member
Is it a Jungian Persona problem? What is this thing that makes one brave {or reviled} to defy? I'd like to have a discussion with it in order to try to understand its rationale behind the rules it makes.

crossfire

Premium Member
Some initial thoughts:
Violate the dress code and you'll get negative reactions from all sides. Clothes are status markers. They signal social rank, mores, attitudes and politics. They enable society's norms and social hierarchies.
Your clothes signal your 'place'. They signal others how they may most comfortable interact with you.

If someone makes a sartorial claim that seems inappropriate, others of both sexes (all sexes?) will react, they may be put off, they may be angry or confused; amused or threatened.

When women began donning masculine attire it was scandalous. It was a claim for higher status and privilege. Males felt threatened and unmanned by the arrogance, women just from the rent in their delicate social position.

Men donning lower rank markers is disturbing, particularly to low status men, as Sunrise pointed out in post #8.

People form tribes; "status communities," that interact with different status communities in socially prescribed ways. People like things familiar and predictable, particularly those with 'conservative' neurological patterns. Novelty and unpredictability is threatening.
So, if the clothing manufacturers started making men's clothing in "daring" colors, and women were the only ones brave enough to wear them, does that mean that those women would be considered to be "daring" and "brave?" Probably not, since little girls seem to be the only ones brave enough to don the pink tutu.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, if the clothing manufacturers started making men's clothing in "daring" colors, and women were the only ones brave enough to wear them, does that mean that those women would be considered to be "daring" and "brave?" Probably not, since little girls seem to be the only ones brave enough to don the pink tutu.
LOL, That would mean the clothing manufacturers don't know their business.
Little girls aren't threatening to anyone. They're not yet players in the game. They can wear whatever they want.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This post is reposted with permission:

He’s describing a consequence of sexism: when women are viewed as inferior, it’s understandable for a woman to want to behave “like a man,” but not vice versa.

In this case, the way to improve things for men is to improve the status of women.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think most black guys look better in pink than white guys usually do. White guys often look pallid, to me.
Tom

I can understand that, I am biracial so I am not exactly a man of dark complexion but I look like a tanned Mexican on a good day and an awkward Jew on my worst. :D

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Eh @Sha'irullah what is race except humans making a big deal over skin pigmentation? Your skin is your skin. Nothing good or bad about it, or my very pale skin either. Only what society has wrought based on wrong views and conceptions.

I think you're pretty handsome based on the pic thread.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Eh @Sha'irullah what is race except humans making a big deal over skin pigmentation? Your skin is your skin. Nothing good or bad about it, or my very pale skin either. Only what society has wrought based on wrong views and conceptions.

I always thought race was some ancient joke that became the first meme. There is probably the spirit of some dead African laughing his butt off about how we took the joke seriously. My personal theory is that most bad ideas start off as very funny jokes.

Like Nazism . . . obviously a homosexual joke gone wrong. Nothing heterosexual about that attire.

I think you're pretty handsome based on the pic thread.

And thank you, I am told my hippie demeanor and lack of shaving experience is apart of my boiling hot appeal. :cool: