• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men, Violence, and Trauma

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The paper handed out to us at group today said

80 percent of homicide victims are men

93 percent of prison inmates are men

99 percent of executed prisoners are men in the last decade in America

Men are two to five times more likely to develop a substance-use disorder

75% of student suspensions, expulsions, grade failures, special-education referrals, school-violence casualties, and all other assaults are for boys

75 percent of teenage suicides are boys

70 percent of all suicides are male

80 percent of homeless are male

First off, do you think those statistics are accurate?

If so, what is your opinion about the reasons for it?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think its complicated.

I don't know if the statistics are accurate, or if they apply worldwide, nationally or to the locale of the handout. But I won't argue at all that these things do affect men at higher rates than women.

I can only speak for the Midwest, because cultures vary in how men are viewed and treated, but I think this culture has failed men. We have gotten so caught up in empowering women(and please understand I'm not saying that the idea of empowering women is bad) that we've forgotten that men still need love and encouragement, too. I don't know why it is so hard of us to understand that both functioning men and women are required for a healthy culture...

I think men also are more likely to receive 'tough love'. And while some people(I say people, not just men) need that, I find it highly detrimental to others. Some desperately need love and affection, but what they get told is toughen up and do better. We would do good not to group people's needs according to gender.

As to crime, men tend to be more likely to join gangs. I'm not sure why this is. I do know, however, the reason many men join gangs is because they're scared ****less of each other. So here we have men, scared, feeling unloved, unaccepted in some circles... and one thinks good will come of this? Of course not... And then we wonder why the suicide rates are so high???

When I see discussions of women, its usually positive. We(our culture) love women. I'm not saying women don't experience challenges. They absolutely do. There is institutional sexism that exists that entirely needs to be dealt with. But when you look at how we discuss men, its usually disparaging. We talk of the problems men cause, but how often do we stop to appreciate them?

I hope one day, we(as a culture) can stop and appreciate the wonderful things both men and women have to offer, and that when we aim to empower, encourage, and care for, we do this for all people according to need, regardless of gender(or any other physical factor).

We Never Know

No Slack
I think its complicated.

I don't know if the statistics are accurate, or if they apply worldwide, nationally or to the locale of the handout. But I won't argue at all that these things do affect men at higher rates than women.

I can only speak for the Midwest, because cultures vary in how men are viewed and treated, but I think this culture has failed men. We have gotten so caught up in empowering women(and please understand I'm not saying that the idea of empowering women is bad) that we've forgotten that men still need love and encouragement, too. I don't know why it is so hard of us to understand that both functioning men and women are required for a healthy culture...

I think men also are more likely to receive 'tough love'. And while some people(I say people, not just men) need that, I find it highly detrimental to others. Some desperately need love and affection, but what they get told is toughen up and do better. We would do good not to group people's needs according to gender.

As to crime, men tend to be more likely to join gangs. I'm not sure why this is. I do know, however, the reason many men join gangs is because they're scared ****less of each other. So here we have men, scared, feeling unloved, unaccepted in some circles... and one thinks good will come of this? Of course not... And then we wonder why the suicide rates are so high???

When I see discussions of women, its usually positive. We(our culture) love women. I'm not saying women don't experience challenges. They absolutely do. There is institutional sexism that exists that entirely needs to be dealt with. But when you look at how we discuss men, its usually disparaging. We talk of the problems men cause, but how often do we stop to appreciate them?

I hope one day, we(as a culture) can stop and appreciate the wonderful things both men and women have to offer, and that when we aim to empower, encourage, and care for, we do this for all people according to need, regardless of gender(or any other physical factor).

Tough love and you always have to be strong for others.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think toxic conceptions of masculinity plays a role, but as someone already said, it’s complicated.

When people are goaded into dangerous or violent things a common phrase said by peer pressurers is “come on, be a man,” “man up,” things like that.

Masculinity isn’t toxic, but some cultural conceptions of what it takes to be masculine are definitely toxic.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Tough love and you always have to be strong for others.

Its a bunch of crap, in my opinion. Tough love should be given or withheld based on personality, not gender. I know some men whom its driven to do unacceptable things, and some women who need it desperately.

Being strong for others should be based on the situation, too.

Another thing I was pondering over regarding the homeless situation: Locally, we have a homeless shelter that accepts just women and children. A homeless family my friend knew actually turned the father in a family away just based on his gender. How cruel! And how stressful for the children to see that daddy has to sleep outside, away from them(as if they're already not going through enough).

There are many avenues locally for women(especially if they have children) to receive help. Not so much for men. I can't imagine being a single father in the way things are set up around here...

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

At least it's good to read that men kill not women at the same high rate

75% of student suspensions, expulsions, grade failures, special-education referrals, school-violence casualties, and all other assaults are for boys

Seems that women are mentally and emotionally more stable

Accurate probably not, but they might be a good indication of the reality

My Master said "women have 7 divine attributes, whereas men only have 4" (more compassion, empathy, love etc). Makes sense

Fallen Prophet

I think it is even worse than what you are sharing.

The main cause is feminism.

Laika

Premium Member

I was aware that men are more prone to suicide and less likely to seek help for mental health issues. Its all very sad really. :(