• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men Just Don’t Trust Women — And It’s A Huge Problem

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If they open the door when it is happening, they open themselves up to being very vulnerable. I can see how this might be the source of the mistrust of women the article speaks about.
I do believe this might be what Carl Jung called Anima possession (anima is emotional) in a man in response to a woman being intellectual (Animus is intellectual.) The Anima development within a man is directly related to how that man views women. A woman with an undeveloped animus will be dogmatically opinionated and authoritative rather than a reasonable and wise guide, which enforces the distrust of women in this instance.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
While I think that Mr. Damon makes some great points in the article, such as how a lot of men distrust women's feelings compared to men's, I also think he may be projecting way too much. It seems to me that he is talking about his distrust of his wife's feelings as if it were necessarily a projection of men's attitude toward women's feelings in general.

That was my impression as well. And I also wonder if he's also projecting his own insecurities regarding emotions onto his wife. But who knows. On the whole the article didn't go in the direction I thought (and wished) that it would - commenting on the empirical evidence that both men and women exhibit prejudice when it comes to voice pitch and perceived authority. Things like that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It was interesting to me, and I would probably be quite similar to the author. Like him, I trust my wife implicitly in terms of how she acts. I'm not possessive, and admire many of her characteristics.
But I would commonly downplay emotional things in my head. Even though I know she's quite a grounded person. So from that point of view, I was nodding along.

On reflection, though, I think I ultimately trust emotional response LESS than other forms of communication regardless of who is providing it. If you want to have a chat, and have me nod along, listen, etc, then by all means, use emotional language. But if you want action, I tend to be much more methodical, and I trim the emotion (mentally) from the content almost entirely (for better or worse). This would be true when I've managed people also.

I guess my question to those here would be whether that then leads to an inherent bias in what I am acting on based on the means of communicating. Perhaps along gender lines, but also along lines of education or age (as examples).

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Doesn't matter if he does or doesn't, he makes a good point.
Actually, it does, as this subforum is open ONLY to those who self-identify as feminists. Those who don't self-identify as feminists are not allowed to post here at all.