• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memorable & Meaningful Quotes

Deidre

"The most manifest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness."
—Michel de Montaigne

Mequa, you posted this ^^ on my profile...why does it mean this? I think I know why, but thought I'd ask lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've posted this a bunch lately, so apologies in advance if it's old news but it strikes me as consistently relevent;

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Deidre

I adore Nietzsche, myself.

''In truth, there was only one Christian and he died on a cross.''

Yes, that too is a quote from Nietzsche. He surprises me every day. If a heaven exists, I hope to be able to meet him. (if we are both there, that is. ;))

Spiderman

Veteran Member
images
images

Last edited by a moderator:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Three of my favourites:

"For every man the world is as fresh as it was at the first day, and as full of untold novelties for him who has eyes to see them." - T. H. Huxley

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

"If at first you don't succeed, there's one data point." - xkcd

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
"The way I see it, there are two types of people: those who spend their lives trying to build a future, and those who spend their lives trying to rebuild the past." -- Max Payne

(FYI: He's a fictional character.)

Deidre

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

so I can't cook a tasty meal...so sue me :p

fschmidt

Old Testament Reactionary
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for someone who I am not!"
- Kurt Cobain

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."
- Kurt Cobain

"There is no remembrance of those who came before; and of those who will come after there will also be no remembrance by those who follow them."
- Ecclesiastes 1:11

"The more I know about people, the better I like my dog."
- Mark Twain

Spiderman

Veteran Member
if you agonize a fat person for being fat, you increase the likelihood of them becoming more obese.

Deidre

How does one define friendship? I think you just know it when you see it, and you know what it isn't, when you don't see it. ~ me

Spiderman

Veteran Member
And there are those who will insist on seeing an enemy in those who have the best of intentions. And the prophecy winds up becoming self-fulfilling! If you look for the Devil around every corner you will find him. In places where the devil is absent, you can make him present! -me

Last edited by a moderator:

Deidre

Just do it ~ Nike

Probably one of the best and yet most succinct slogans of all time. So often we hem and haw over what to do, when setting out to take on a new endeavor...but, sometimes...we just gotta do it. And let the chips fall where they may...and figure out a strategy as we go along. :trophy: