• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Melchizedek's priesthood

Heneni

Miss Independent
It would seem that Abraham only met Melchizedek at that one time, after the battle, and gave Abraham a blessing, not the priesthood or high priesthood. In return, Abraham gave a tenth of the loot or whatever he owned. There is nothing to indicate an extended stay.

As far as I can tell, there was nothing priest-hoody about Abraham, which probably took years to acquire and learn.

Hmmm...interesting i never thought about it. Good point.

gnostic

The Lost One
henei said:
Hmmm...interesting i never thought about it. Good point.

I don't know if it is true or not.

But wouldn't office of high priesthood demands a lot of time and dedication to reach this stage of office. Melchizedek could not have possibly high priest overnight, would he? He would first be apprentice or whatever they call it, and then priest for number of years, before becoming high priest.

Prophethood on another hand, is different calling. It is god calling you.

Look at Moses and Jonah for examples. Did they choose to become prophets? No. They were chosen by you know who.

Do you think Melchizedek could have taught Abraham in a few days, weeks or years on how to become "high priest"? I don't think so.

That's my reasoning. I think all sort of insane, if not impossible scenarios, due to active (and over-) imagination. If I don't write it down or get it off my chest, it would make the room spins in my head, and then.... :thud:

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
I don't know if it is true or not.

But wouldn't office of high priesthood demands a lot of time and dedication to reach this stage of office. Melchizedek could not have possibly high priest overnight, would he? He would first be apprentice or whatever they call it, and then priest for number of years, before becoming high priest.

Prophethood on another hand, is different calling. It is god calling you.

Look at Moses and Jonah for examples. Did they choose to become prophets? No. They were chosen by you know who.

Do you think Melchizedek could have taught Abraham in a few days, weeks or years on how to become "high priest"? I don't think so.

That's my reasoning. I think all sort of insane, if not impossible scenarios, due to active (and over-) imagination. If I don't write it down or get it off my chest, it would make the room spins in my head, and then.... :thud:

I'm happy you got that off your chest! HE HE...

Well lets see.. its not clear whether mel completely dissapeared out of abrahams life. Maybe he did train him.....but i doubt it. Im inclined to think that the priesthood wasnt given over to abraham. Abraham did acknowledge mel's status. Also maybe this priesthood was something that was handed down from one generation to the next...not necessarily to the same nation or tribe though. Somewhat like a global priesthood. Consisting of priests from all over the world. What you say?

gnostic

The Lost One
madhatter said:
you clearly know nothing of the priesthood of our Lord
Obviously, I don't.

But if you expect me to believe that becoming a high priest means just giving a person a blessing at one time, and ZAP! you're official high priest, then such priesthood is hardly worth it.

Did you know that not once, Abraham called himself a prophet? But they had the calling, since God communicate with him directly or indirectly through an agent. He certainly doesn't say that he has Melchizedek's priesthood, because he is not a priest.

From what I can see and discern from reading the Genesis. He is a patriarch, a clan leader. That's how he see himself. God told him to leave his home, so he left his home, heading west. God told him to circumcise and his followers and so he did.

But if you expect me to believe that the Melchizedek's priesthood was passed on to Abraham, and he passed on his son, and so on, for the next generations, then I don't see know proof of it.

I need more than that, than assumption. Jesus never talk of any such priesthood. All this come from Paul's writings, and nowhere else in the NT.

Actually, and if my memory serves right, then I don't recall Jesus ever saying that held any priesthood. And the Apostles never claimed that they were priests. It was their duties to teach and spread the words of gospels, but none of them referred themselves anything but disciples.

I'd just distinguish prophet and priest as being two distinct callings. The former being harder to become because only a god can make a person prophet....by giving the fellow a call on the mobile....while the later required years of training from priesthood.

Last edited: