• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation

Draupadi

I heard that meditation is good for depression. I want to go into advanced meditation that enhances my spirituality and maybe bring me in touch with a Deity. Any suggestion for a good book or site for the beginners?

Sees

Dragonslayer
You can download free audio guided meditations or read some steps with a Google search. I think metta "loving-kindness" meditations from Buddhist traditions are a great start that will help boost/bring a positive and happy attitude.

I do meditations on Gods, ancestors, land spirits but they are very specific.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I heard that meditation is good for depression. I want to go into advanced meditation that enhances my spirituality and maybe bring me in touch with a Deity. Any suggestion for a good book or site for the beginners?

"Meditation" has many different meanings and connotations. There is no standard definition, although probably each one has something to do with quieting the mind.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

The Secret Of The Universal Mind Meditation by Kelly Howell is a very easy guided meditation. Usually in my meditations it's not so much me getting in touch with a Deity but allowing myself to be open to a Deity getting in touch with me.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
"Meditation" has many different meanings and connotations. There is no standard definition, although probably each one has something to do with quieting the mind.

If only. Meditation has become synonymous with visualization techniques, which tends to do the exact opposite.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Agreed. And many are describing contemplation instead of meditation.

More words ... what's contemplation?

@Gjallarhorn ... well, then I would be wrong. Never heard of meditation as a method to get the mind racing, but then you learn new things all the time.

This whole thing is a big problem for people like Draupadi who come and ask a simple question. :)

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

There is a podcast that I believe is still available that has a large number of good guided meditations that you can use. You may or not like her style, but it is called Meditation Oasis. I used some of these when I was first learning and found several of them helpful. Her methods are more Eastern than what I do nowadays, but most people favor those kinds of forms rather than the types that I do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[
quote=Vinayaka;3856396]More words ... what's contemplation?

@Gjallarhorn ... well, then I would be wrong. Never heard of meditation as a method to get the mind racing, but then you learn new things all the time.

This whole thing is a big problem for people like Draupadi who come and ask a simple question. :)
[/QUOTE]

Contemplation is focusing the mind on a thought or idea. In meditation you should focus on emptying the mind of thoughts. Granted it's not an easy task, but one should strive for "mindfulness".

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Contemplation is focusing the mind on a thought or idea. In meditation you should focus on emptying the mind of thoughts. Granted it's not an easy task, but one should strive for "mindfulness".[/quote]

In your view. And herein lies a problem.

It was a question posed, not for an answer, but to illustrate that there would be a variety of answers. depending on tradition, which books you're read, and more.

My view would be that meditation comes after attention and concentration, and it is a stilling of the mind until only awareness exists, and then contemplation comes after that, when this stillness is focused into one concept, in order to gain a deeper understanding of that concept, from the inside out, like awareness hovering over it. Again ... that is just my view/understanding, and by no means is it that of every Hindu, or anything like that. It's what I've been taught. Again ... not that it's definitive.

So ... I'm not saying my view is correct, or your view is wrong. I'm just saying that within the schools of Hinduism, of Buddhism, of new-age, of western yoga, etc. there are many views as to what meditation or contemplation (or reflection or relaxation) actually is.