• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation advice

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just curious - what is the best piece of advice you have received regards meditation?

Have a great day!

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
1. Do it regularly. Make it part of your daily routine.
2. Explore different approaches - there are many. Find one that suits you, but keep a flexible approach, don't get bogged down in this or that technique.
3. Find a comfortable posture. Stools and chairs are fine, no need for yogic contortions, you can even meditate lying down.
4. Talk to other meditators and share experiences.
5. If possible get some face-to-face instruction. Going on a meditation retreat is also a good way to learn and deepen experience.
6. Be patient with yourself.
7. Enjoy it!

PS Sorry, that's more than one thing, but I just kept adding to the list!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Perhaps that willing oneself to meditate is futile and useless.

No it isn't. It's a bit like doing regular physical exercise to get fit, some effort and application is required. Obviously meditation is about developing the mind rather than the body, but there are some similarities.

Last edited by a moderator:

buddhist

Do all you need to do to prepare your outer environment for meditation ... and just let it happen (internally). Don't try to force it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No it isn't. It's a bit like doing regular physical exercise to get fit, some effort and application is required. Obviously meditation is about developing the mind rather than the body, but there are some similarities.

Your mileage may vary.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My comment was based on numerous conversations with Buddhist meditators over a long period of time.

I'm happy for you. My comment was perhaps no less informed by the advice of others. But most likely by different sources. At any rate, the Buddhism DIR is not a debate forum.

Papoon

Just curious - what is the best piece of advice you have received regards meditation?

Have a great day!

Don't be a heroic, or a boyscout or a Calvinist.

What is often called meditation is actually an ego trip about self improvement, discipline or obedience.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The best advice on meditation is that you always practice it with two things as the foundation. You meditate with intention, and without expectation. Intention keeps you present, and being present without expectation keeps you open.