• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matthew Shephard

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Yes... and no. :( Too emotional too discuss in depth..... I can't see a picture of Matthew, a person I never met, without having feelings of anger, sadness and frustration all at once. Unfortunely, it was his brutal death that brought homophobia and the killing of BGLT people for no other than they are BGLT, into the media spotlight. So in that respect we have made progress. But too much of it still goes on with people still justifying it however they see fit.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Yes and no... I am witnessing less blatant anti-GLBT than I had been in the last few years, but then again, I've moved from an uppity small Michigan town to big-town Iowa. You might not expect it, but there's a lot more tolerance here. In fact, I've been trying to set up (as a massage therapist) a healing program through the local groups. Maybe the situation hasn't gotten any better, but I no longer feel as futile about it! :)

About two years ago, Matthew Sheppard's mom was able to speak at our local community college, and I tell you- if the thought of such a bright, caring young man being killed for such an intolerable, senseless act hadn't made you cry already, you would to hear the woman speak. She seems like an incredible woman, and I hate the act that made her speak on such subjects, but I also know that a lot of people came away from that talk quite a bit more open-minded than when they came in.