• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matthew 7:13-14

Frank Goad

If you read Matthew 7:13-14. It sounds like most people go to hell to me. When you read it.Is that what it sounds like to you?:(

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
IMO, if falls into the question as to whether one believes in Jesus or just some things about Jesus, much like we see in Matthew 25 with Jesus' Parable of the Sheep & Goats?

Skwim

Veteran Member
If you read Matthew 7:13-14. It sounds like most people go to hell to me. When you read it.Is that what it sounds like to you?:(
Sure does. And one doesn't even have to know about Christianity's hell in order to qualify for it. Now that's a loving god for you. :rolleyes:

Ellen Brown

Of course there is the issue that it's been over 2000 years since He is said to have said that. We don't really know much about those in the culture that he was speaking to. My suggestion would be to do the best you can in light of what you know.

The experts pile rule upon rule and conditions upon conditions. Look up the "Millstone passage", the effort will do you good sommat. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
To me, it says that many - the majority of people - are on the path to destruction. That doesn't translate to hell, to me, so I guess it depends on what one is taught.

Ellen Brown

To me, it says that many - the majority of people - are on the path to destruction. That doesn't translate to hell, to me, so I guess it depends on what one is taught.

And then there is "Come onto me, ye who are heavy laden".

nPeace

Veteran Member
And then there is "Come onto me, ye who are heavy laden".
Yes, that's a beautiful text. I love Jesus' loving appeal there.
Sadly, it is evident that many feel his yolk is not light at all, and so they take the other road, which seems more appealing to them, not seeing that the end of the road is destruction.

Ellen Brown

Yes, that's a beautiful text. I love Jesus' loving appeal there.
Sadly, it is evident that many feel his yolk is not light at all, and so they take the other road, which seems more appealing to them, not seeing that the end of the road is destruction.

It's been too long since I read about the debate between Arminianism and Calvinism. I can't explain the Psychology involved. Are some simply too proud to accept what is freely given? I've made many mistakes and sinned much, and then comes the remorse, contriteness and repentance. What I need now is mercy, and according to Micah 6:8 it is there. Sadly there are those who would rather take the hard way.

nPeace

Veteran Member
It's been too long since I read about the debate between Arminianism and Calvinism. I can't explain the Psychology involved. Are some simply too proud to accept what is freely given?
Pride evidently, is one part of the reason. The other part is mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 12.

I've made many mistakes and sinned much, and then comes the remorse, contriteness and repentance. What I need now is mercy, and according to Micah 6:8 it is there. Sadly there are those who would rather take the hard way.
Yes. According to that text, he has told us, and you are right - Modesty is opposite to pride.