• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mathew takes Isaiah Chapter 7 way out of context

sincerly

What do you call the Scriptures of the Hindu's? Like let's say the Bhagavad Gita? You might very well call it myth wouldn't you? Why do you think it is not the truth? Because it doesn't line up with your beliefs? Yet, it's true to them. So let's look at your Scriptures. Why don't most Jews believe Jesus is their Messiah? Because it doesn't line up with their Scriptures. They could careless about a virgin birth. It is not one of their prophecies about their Messiah.

Christianity is fine, wonderful. It's great, in a lot of ways. But which version of it? Your Scriptures have enough ambiguity in them by themselves, but throw in the Hebrew Bible and Christians are all over the place in their beliefs. If they can't agree on what is the truth, how can they be trusted? How can their Bible be trusted? It has some good points, but it also has a lot of mythological things in it. A rapture? A war in heaven with good angels fighting bad angels? A return of the King of Kings on a white horse? An anti-christ and a beast? Who knows, it might be true. But let's ask a few questions and double check a few "prophecies" to make sure it's true. So far Ramah weeping and the "ha almah harah" sound like someone was making up a good story. And the story of Satan and hell? That's Christian mythology not Jewish.

The Christian "mythology" is amazing. Dead people coming out of their graves and walking around town. Jesus dead three days and comes back to life. He walked on water and healed people. And even his birth, fantastic, a virgin birth, amazing, but true? It sounds to unreal to be fact. So what is wrong with questioning the "fantastic." Why trust what some ancient writer said about Jesus, after all, Matthew wasn't there at the birth, neither was Luke. Who were their sources and why do they tell different stories? It sounds like religious mythology, and then, add in the non-canonical stories. Now they are some very creative stories. But, I'll bet you don't believe them. Why, because the writers weren't credible, and they had some agenda. Who doesn't?

Hi CG D, Again, You can not or will not see the truths of the Biblical Scriptures by choice. That is your conclusion and witness as to the validity of the Scriptures.
It is the Biblical Scriptures which are under discussion and not other forms of "Beliefs".
I have shown you multiple times the prophesied (Dan.7:25; 2Thess.2:34) where there would be a "falling away" of "believers" from the Truth of GOD'S word to falseness of teachibgs. That "power" is still present today and continues to distort the teachings which GOD GAVE.

From the original serpent(Adversary) false presentations of GOD and HIS Truths, they have been multiplied into an untold number and still growing.

The same Messiah of the OT is the Same Messiah that is the fulfillment revealed in the NT.(Dan.9:24-27)

For the greater history of the Israelite people, It was one of disobedience and not of being in obedience to the Creator GOD. Never-the-less, there was always a "remnant who were obedient."
That is why we have Isaiah's written account -----both kings--- in fulfillment of GOD'S instructions via MOSES before the Israelites and mixed multitude entered the "promised land". If they defiled the land with false gods and practiced their beliefs they would be scattered. Where are the Jews today? Scattered all over this earth. Still in disbelief of the most important teachings given by GOD concerning a right relationship to GOD and Mankind.
Rejection began in the Garden of Eden and is the mode of operation in the lives of the majority today.
How much longer will it take to fill earth's "cup of iniquity" and close earth's(mankind's) history???
The "Everlasting GOSPEL" is about the only pleasant news from around the world.

However, those who were/are in disobedience choose to listen to the false prophets rather than the true Prophets of GOD with the Truth of the salvation message---that---yesterday and today.

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
Of course you find it questionable, How else would one find the prophecies of the Scriptures declared by GOD be interpreted by one who declares that the Scriptures are a myth and the God revealed in them a myth.

Myth, again. Myth this, myth that.

You're being petty and tiresome.

You read but don't comprehend what I've written.

I make no mention of Jeremiah 31 being a myth. Are you damn blind or something?

I've stated that Matthew had misrepresented Jeremiah's verse about Rachel, I didn't call the verse a "myth". They are not the same things, so stop espousing this nonsense about myth.

Clearly, you need learn to some etiquettes, and stop baiting me with this whole myth. It's utter rude and petty for you to keep bringing this us. Go bother someone else, if you feels this irritating needs to say "myth" each time you reply to my posts.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
You can not or will not see the truths of the Biblical Scriptures by choice.
Of course there are "truths" to be found in the Bible, but which Bible and which interpretation of the Bible? God had a lot of rules that called for people to be stoned to death, is that the Law of God or the rules of an ancient people ascribed to God to give the rule more clout?

Did Moses and Aaron have a walking stick that turned into a snake? Wow, a miracle of God, or mythology of an ancient people? The problem is the Pharaoh had a cane turn into a snake also. Where did he get the power to do that sort of miracle? Do things like that happen today? Some people probably think so. Or, was it all a mythological story to show the people the power of their God through a Joseph Campbell type of "power of myth"?

For me, it doesn't have to be literally true, but the purpose of the story had power and meaning for the Hebrew people. I know that most Christians have to be committed to a very literal belief. I don't have to. Was Jesus born of a virgin? It sounds like mythology to boast his stature, to make him "a God." But Jews don't need their Messiah to be God. So where did these ideas come from? They didn't need the virgin birth and didn't see that one verse as being prophetic about the Messiah. Why do Christians? Because you need Jesus to be God. You need Jesus to be the one and only truth. Yet, he is divided into hundreds of different ideas of who and what he is by people calling themselves Christians. So I can't trust them. Who can I trust? The NT? That's what I'm doing. Is the story in the NT consistent and does it make sense? Not really. Unless you allow out of context "proofs."

sincerly

Myth, again. Myth this, myth that.

You're being petty and tiresome.

You read but don't comprehend what I've written.

I make no mention of Jeremiah 31 being a myth. Are you damn blind or something?

I've stated that Matthew had misrepresented Jeremiah's verse about Rachel, I didn't call the verse a "myth". They are not the same things, so stop espousing this nonsense about myth.

Clearly, you need learn to some etiquettes, and stop baiting me with this whole myth. It's utter rude and petty for you to keep bringing this us. Go bother someone else, if you feels this irritating needs to say "myth" each time you reply to my posts.

So, it is you who is doing the misrepresenting. The Scriptures and Matthew are true.
Why should I not counter your posts which is NOT according to the general purpose of the Scriptures----By a GOD that is seeking to save the lost of Mankind and that by a BEING incarnated into human form by a Virgin. It has been you that has claimed it all to be a myth.(by each post you produce---in/as your signature.)
Let's see...."misrepresented" = not presenting facts= falsehood=lie=myth.

sincerly

Of course there are "truths" to be found in the Bible, but which Bible and which interpretation of the Bible? God had a lot of rules that called for people to be stoned to death, is that the Law of God or the rules of an ancient people ascribed to God to give the rule more clout?

Did Moses and Aaron have a walking stick that turned into a snake? Wow, a miracle of God, or mythology of an ancient people? The problem is the Pharaoh had a cane turn into a snake also. Where did he get the power to do that sort of miracle? Do things like that happen today? Some people probably think so. Or, was it all a mythological story to show the people the power of their God through a Joseph Campbell type of "power of myth"?

For me, it doesn't have to be literally true, but the purpose of the story had power and meaning for the Hebrew people. I know that most Christians have to be committed to a very literal belief. I don't have to. Was Jesus born of a virgin? It sounds like mythology to boast his stature, to make him "a God." But Jews don't need their Messiah to be God. So where did these ideas come from? They didn't need the virgin birth and didn't see that one verse as being prophetic about the Messiah. Why do Christians? Because you need Jesus to be God. You need Jesus to be the one and only truth. Yet, he is divided into hundreds of different ideas of who and what he is by people calling themselves Christians. So I can't trust them. Who can I trust? The NT? That's what I'm doing. Is the story in the NT consistent and does it make sense? Not really. Unless you allow out of context "proofs."

True, GOD is not in anyway forcing People to Believe HIM. and Your "I don't have to" is your conclusion to the whole matter of the "Biblical Narrative".
The Jews?? Jesus told them the same thing/principle. "They have Moses and didn't believe him."
You claim others "pick and choose", but fail to see that it isn't truth, but that which is in agreement with what you have already concluded. And that is your rightful decision.
"Who can I trust?"--- you have made that clear in these posts.
Yes, the Christian Faith is splinted into a unknown number of false "faiths" and that was prophesied. The Mother harlot has many daughters.
ONE who is truly seeking will be guided in the correct direction to find that "pearl of great price" and the Kingdom of GOD.
The "doubter" will never find anything, but "fool's gold"---A counterfeit really does have many characteristics of the TRUE GOD---otherwise, it wouldn't be easy to be "beguiled"/deluded.
May the Holy Spirit guide you rather than being grieved by you. Again, your choice.

gnostic

The Lost One
sincerly said:
So, it is you who is doing the misrepresenting. The Scriptures and Matthew are true.
Why should I not counter your posts which is NOT according to the general purpose of the Scriptures----By a GOD that is seeking to save the lost of Mankind and that by a BEING incarnated into human form by a Virgin. It has been you that has claimed it all to be a myth.(by each post you produce---in/as your signature.)

Again, I'm getting nothing more than ignorant BS from you. I supposed that all I ever going get from you.

Just because I have sad that Matthew have misrepresented Jeremiah's verse, doesn't mean I think Jeremiah 31 to be a myth. You only read the verse - just a single verse from Jeremiah 31 (verse 15). I sought to understand the whole chapter, because there are more to the chapter than one verse.

If you can't understand the distinction than you only demonstrated how ignorant you truly are?

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Prove to me you not ignorant?

Step 1:
What does Jeremiah 31 means? (Referring to the whole chapter, not just verse 15.)
What does Israel, Ephraim and Samaria have to do with Jeremiah 31?​
Step 2:
What does verse 15 have to do with Jeremiah 31?
How is verse 15 related to Jeremiah 31? Or do you think it has nothing to do with the rest of the chapter?
What does verse 15 mean in Jeremiah 31?​
Lastly, why did Matthew used verse 15, when the original context (Jeremiah's version) of the verse was so different to Matthew's version?

sincerly

Originally Posted by sincerly

Again, I'm getting nothing more than ignorant BS from you. I supposed that all I ever going get from you.

Just because I have sad that Matthew have misrepresented Jeremiah's verse, doesn't mean I think Jeremiah 31 to be a myth. You only read the verse - just a single verse from Jeremiah 31 (verse 15). I sought to understand the whole chapter, because there are more to the chapter than one verse.

If you can't understand the distinction than you only demonstrated how ignorant you truly are?

The Scriptures are a revealing of the purpose and the plan of the Almighty Creator GOD from the "beginning to the ending. It has been your purpose to declare it all as not so---that is what a myth is---right?
It is you who are ignorant to think a Believer in the GOD you claim is a myth is going to be tolerant of your disbelief. Certainly, you have the option to call the Scriptures BS, and myth---and you may convince others, but your two "signatures" do say what you actually believe concerning all those posts and what you are attempting to convince others concerning.
I'm not just looking at the one verse and its immediate chapter, but the whole of the Scriptures and how they do fit the plan which The Almighty GOD has from the very beginning sought to re-establish a restoration of all things to the original plan HE had in mind. That is seen in chapter32 and the gathering will not be to the old Jerusalem, but to the earth made new and the New Jerusalem which will not be earthly, but brought down from Heaven to the earth made new.

You are still kicking against the goads. The goal/end results of GOD is a myth to you.---and that is the choice you have chosen. The Scriptures remain a witness to their validity, regardless of how much you have tried the undermine them and destroy their foundation.

gnostic

The Lost One
Sincerly:

I see that you've replied to me, twice, but didn't bother to answer my questions in regarding to Jeremiah 31 at post 1027.

gnostic said:
Step 1:
What does Jeremiah 31 means? (Referring to the whole chapter, not just verse 15.)
Step 2:
How is verse 15 related to Jeremiah 31? Or do you think it has nothing to do with the rest of the chapter?
Lastly, why did Matthew used verse 15, when the original context (Jeremiah's version) of the verse was so different to Matthew's version?

Additional question is:
And why do you think 31:15 is related to massacre in Bethlehem, and not the deportation of people from Ephraim when Samaria had fallen?​
The above questions are legitimate questions, trying to figure out how much you understand Jeremiah 31, and how verse 31:15 is related to chapter 31?

Can you answer these questions?
And can you answer these questions without bringing up "myths", again?

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What do you call the Scriptures of the Hindu's? Like let's say the Bhagavad Gita? You might very well call it myth wouldn't you? Why do you think it is not the truth? Because it doesn't line up with your beliefs? Yet, it's true to them. So let's look at your Scriptures. Why don't most Jews believe Jesus is their Messiah? Because it doesn't line up with their Scriptures. They could careless about a virgin birth. It is not one of their prophecies about their Messiah.
Come on Sincerly, one person's Scripture is another's myth. Believers made Matthew Scripture. If Matthew "proves" his story as true by taking verses from the Hebrew Scriptures, then it has to make sense. It has to fit in with the context. It doesn't. Islam quotes the Bible. Are they using it correctly? Or, are they taking things out of context? Is the Quran Scripture? Or is it myth?

sincerly

Sincerly: I see that you've replied to me, twice, but didn't bother to answer my questions in regarding to Jeremiah 31 at post 1027.

Originally Posted by gnostic, post 1027
Step 1:
Step 2:

Additional question is:
And why do you think 31:15 is related to massacre in Bethlehem, and not the deportation of people from Ephraim when Samaria had fallen?
The above questions are legitimate questions, trying to figure out how much you understand Jeremiah 31, and how verse 31:15 is related to chapter 31?

Can you answer these questions?
And can you answer these questions without bringing up "myths", again?

Hi Gnostic, I see you didn't acknowledge my answer:
You have the scriptures before you---and disbelieve them---one convinced against their will is of the same opinion still.

To answer that last question first. I see the Biblical Scriptures as a whole---from Genesis to Revelation. you are keying in on the fulfilled prophecies as related to the life and birth of Jesus Christ and spinning them into your opinions of "myths".
I see those prophetic writings as Jesus said and was recorded in Luke 24:27, 44-48, "And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: "

Therefore, years later, when those writers took in hand to "set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us", those things contained the "understanding" which Jesus Christ revealed to them and that were taught by the "eyewitnesses" to the events.

You certainly can continue to believe your opinions, but they are contrary to the Scriptures as has been shown in the large picture.

Jeremiah is no different. Jeremiah was written before the Babylonian captivity and Rachael was not alive at that time. She had died in child birth long before the Egyptian period of slavery. The children of Ephraim were from her son and comprised the northern kingdom of Israel which did reject GOD and "back-slide" to the point of attacking Judah. Jeremiah symbolically wrote that she wept as they were displaced.
However, that does not void the prophetic use of the event as pertaining to the slaughter of the children in the region of Bethelem by herod's army. Noah's Flood and the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah are still prophetic signs of the second coming of Jesus.

sincerly

It is the Scriptures which are testifying against your "myths".

Originally Posted by CG Didymus

Come on Sincerly, one person's Scripture is another's myth. Believers made Matthew Scripture. If Matthew "proves" his story as true by taking verses from the Hebrew Scriptures, then it has to make sense. It has to fit in with the context. It doesn't. Islam quotes the Bible. Are they using it correctly? Or, are they taking things out of context? Is the Quran Scripture? Or is it myth?

Hi CG D, The Biblical Scriptures have one purpose/goal/ending to all things written within its pages. That purpose is the restoration of mankind and the universe to the Creator GOD who made it all. That "Big Picture"/"elephant" which most cannot see for looking at that lie which is pleasing(deluding) to them.
Yes, personal opinions are hard to give up when one is satisfied with what "seems right" to them.

"Satisfaction" is the key word as it denotes that "Truth" is not what one should seek in this world. Therefore, until one is convinced in their own mind that there is a Creator GOD.
"I,m O.K. and You are O.K."----the aim of the ecumenical council--reigns today. Tolerate that which GOD said was abominable/contrary to HIM/HIS Will.

Genesis establishes the fact that there is a Creator GOD. As I gaze upon all the "flora and fauna" around me, I am convinced that, Yes, there is a CREATOR.---All I survey could not have come about by spontaneous combustion---a "big bang---out of nothing."

Therefore, the Scriptures reveal/show how a loving gracious GOD has been leading HIS created mankind from disobedience and death to being Redeemed and restored as originally planned. Look at Deut.32:7-12, "Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. For the LORD'S portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance. He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him."

GOD has been in charge and brought about HIS Will even in rebellion. It is when one forgets the manner/principles by which one is lead that chastisement comes into the lives of HIS people.

Moses is refreshing the minds that GOD had separated the people at the tower of Babel. All those knew of the Creator GOD and the Principles which Adam had given to Noah via Noah's grandfather and father. Therefore, no matter into which part of the earth those separated ones occupied---they chose to retain or reject that which "seemed right "/pleasing to them.( Just remember, within 40 days after being lead by GOD and the miracles preformed in their presence---many were making a golden calf and wanting to return to Egypt---They, also, had said "what the Lord GOD says we will do.").

Paul says the same thing concerning the forgetting the way GOD has lead in the past. (1 Cor.10:6, 11), "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come."

Also, In Acts 17:23-31, Paul is recapping what Moses had said in Deut. 32 above to those in Athens with their many gods/beliefs.
The Scriptures in the parable of the "Pearl of great price" admonishes all true seekers to "sell all"---count nothing in this world as more valuable than Jesus and the eternal life one obtains by accepting that "Pearly gift".

I know of no other belief system than that given within the pages from Genesis through Revelation which meets the required instructions put forth by the Creator GOD of those Biblical Scriptures.

Whatever satisfies your opinions is your "will and testament".

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Biblical Scriptures have one purpose/goal/ending to all things written within its pages. That purpose is the restoration of mankind and the universe to the Creator GOD who made it all.
The problem of purpose and goal: I was born and raised Catholic. Baptized as an infant. Went through First Holy Communion. Did any of that "save" me? I hung out with Pentecostals. They were "healed," slain in the Spirit, spoke in tongues and prophesied. Was any of that real? Both were Bible-based religions. Both seemed filled with myth and superstition. Why is your version and interpretation of the Bible better and more real than theirs? If I go back to "God's chosen people" and ask them, they give me a completely different story of God's reality and God's purpose than you. One of you is wrong. They came first, yet you tell me they are the ones that went astray, so God had to make some changes in his plan. So he had to send his Son, great. So I check it out. First book in the NT, Matthew and I find questionable quotes. Why? Who is this Matthew and did he really write the book? Why is his account different than Luke's? Supposedly Luke was thorough in researching the history, why didn't his findings agree with Matthew? Don't tell me that different eyewitness baloney, because they both weren't eyewitnesses.

Both better have asked several people and sorted out the facts from the fiction, but no. Two different accounts that have to be "harmonized." The family goes to Egypt after being at the temple in Jerusalem? Then why did Herod send his men to Bethlehem? Jesus was right there in town. If he did go to Egypt from there, and not to Nazareth like Luke says, that means the Magi had already visited the family? The family risked going to Jerusalem anyway and then ducked out of town to Egypt while Herod's men went and killed all the baby boys in Bethlehem? But then Luke, who researched the story, didn't mention that? Oh, I know, just have faith and believe. If it were only that easy, but I'd have to believe the Jews and people of all other religions, plus even some "Christians" are wrong and going to hell. That is in no way easy to do.

sincerly

The problem of purpose and goal: I was born and raised Catholic. Baptized as an infant. Went through First Holy Communion. Did any of that "save" me? I hung out with Pentecostals. They were "healed," slain in the Spirit, spoke in tongues and prophesied. Was any of that real? Both were Bible-based religions. Both seemed filled with myth and superstition. Why is your version and interpretation of the Bible better and more real than theirs? If I go back to "God's chosen people" and ask them, they give me a completely different story of God's reality and God's purpose than you. One of you is wrong. They came first, yet you tell me they are the ones that went astray, so God had to make some changes in his plan. So he had to send his Son, great. So I check it out. First book in the NT, Matthew and I find questionable quotes. Why? Who is this Matthew and did he really write the book? Why is his account different than Luke's? Supposedly Luke was thorough in researching the history, why didn't his findings agree with Matthew? Don't tell me that different eyewitness baloney, because they both weren't eyewitnesses.

Both better have asked several people and sorted out the facts from the fiction, but no. Two different accounts that have to be "harmonized." The family goes to Egypt after being at the temple in Jerusalem? Then why did Herod send his men to Bethlehem? Jesus was right there in town. If he did go to Egypt from there, and not to Nazareth like Luke says, that means the Magi had already visited the family? The family risked going to Jerusalem anyway and then ducked out of town to Egypt while Herod's men went and killed all the baby boys in Bethlehem? But then Luke, who researched the story, didn't mention that? Oh, I know, just have faith and believe. If it were only that easy, but I'd have to believe the Jews and people of all other religions, plus even some "Christians" are wrong and going to hell. That is in no way easy to do.

Hi CG D, Is GOD the Creator GOD or NOT??

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That is the question. Is your definition of who God is the true definition? And, how would we know it? We have to use the Hebrew Bible and the Christian NT. Do they match? Do they define God the same? Is his purpose the same? So who is God to you?

sincerly

That is the question. Is your definition of who God is the true definition? And, how would we know it? We have to use the Hebrew Bible and the Christian NT. Do they match? Do they define God the same? Is his purpose the same? So who is God to you?

Hi CG D, I realize that Franklin was rather fast with his post, But this post doesn't give your---yes or no?

The CREATOR GOD of the OT is the SAME Creator GOD of the NT. So, what say you?

Fletch

Hi CG D, I realize that Franklin was rather fast with his post, But this post doesn't give your---yes or no?

I kind of like how Elijah handled a virgin born sun/son god of his day:

1 Kings 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said , How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word

So how long will you be between two opinions? If the LORD be God follow him, but if Jesus, then follow him.

Fletch

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

Is he the same God of Islam, Baha'i, Hindu etc? In some ways it sounds like the same God being described, in other ways, it is different. The biggest difference for most born-again Christians is the trinity. Is the trinity something that the Hebrews believed in? Some verses make it sound like God is more than one. Other verses make it sound like there is one God and beside him there is no other. The evidence is too vague for me to know for sure. What say you? Jesus is God? The Father is God? And the Holy Spirit is God? And all of them are fighting against an adversary that they created?