• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mathematics, Discovered or Invented?

Heyo

Veteran Member
One of the age-old questions that we haven't debated recently (at least not in the last year).

I think that mathematics is discovered. One piece of evidence is that maths has been discovered multiple times independently.
We assume it even to be so universal that aliens on other planets must have discovered it, if they have technology.

Tagging @Polymath257

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I go with a mixture of discovery and invention.

Usually, mathematics starts with a vague intuition. We then invent formal systems that capture some aspects of that intuition. After that, we discover the consequences of the rules we invented.

Independent discovery generally happens because there are similar intuitions flying around. Often the specifics are different as invented by different people. Over time, the community decides which concepts are most productive as mathematics and those become standards assumptions.

I don’t think that mathematical objects are “out there” in any meaningful sense. We choose what is of interest and study those things. We choose our axioms to show that study. Unlike physics, say, I do not think an alien race would necessarily arrive at the same results in point set topology as we have.

Heyo

Veteran Member
You don't need @Polymath257.
It's enuf that I agree with you.
(This is a common topic here.)
I thought it must have been, but there was no thread within the last year and the search function didn't find anything either (which can be totally due to the inability of the search function, but it worked somewhat lately).

There have been tangents if different threads, though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought it must have been, but there was no thread within the last year and the search function didn't find anything either (which can be totally due to the inability of the search function, but it worked somewhat lately).

There have been tangents if different threads, though.
The search function doesn't seem as
powerful as it's been in years past.
But since it's that hard to find, tis
useful that you started this thread.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I go with a mixture of discovery and invention.
I agree that some esoteric fields of maths are invented, the question is where the border is.
Usually, mathematics starts with a vague intuition. We then invent formal systems that capture some aspects of that intuition. After that, we discover the consequences of the rules we invented.

Independent discovery generally happens because there are similar intuitions flying around. Often the specifics are different as invented by different people.
Like number systems? That is just convention. The maths stay the same, if you do it in a binary or sexagesimal.
Over time, the community decides which concepts are most productive as mathematics and those become standards assumptions.

I don’t think that mathematical objects are “out there” in any meaningful sense. We choose what is of interest and study those things.
What is interesting is the internal consistency.

We choose our axioms to show that study. Unlike physics, say, I do not think an alien race would necessarily arrive at the same results in point set topology as we have.
I don't think that we chose the axioms. Once you discover counting (and that is discovered as it has empirical roots, countable things are "out there"), addition and subtraction follow logically. The same goes for the laws of identity, commutation, transition, etc.
I think that we can agree that not only the natural numbers are "from god" but at least all mathematics until calculus.

Shaul

Premium Member
I don't think that we chose the axioms. Once you discover counting (and that is discovered as it has empirical roots, countable things are "out there"), addition and subtraction follow logically. The same goes for the laws of identity, commutation, transition, etc.
I think that we can agree that not only the natural numbers are "from god" but at least all mathematics until calculus.
So you are writing that axioms can serve as a basis for mathematics. Yet some would object if axioms were used to support the divine.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One of the age-old questions that we haven't debated recently (at least not in the last year).

I think that mathematics is discovered. One piece of evidence is that maths has been discovered multiple times independently.
We assume it even to be so universal that aliens on other planets must have discovered it, if they have technology.

Tagging @Polymath257
It's a mixture of both.

Some of math involves fundamental relationships of numbers, geometry, etc., and some of it involves useful techniques.

For instance, the idea of arranging a set of equations into a matrix isn't dictated by any fundamental properties of the universe.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So you are writing that axioms can serve as a basis for mathematics. Yet some would object if axioms were used to support the divine.
The difference is that the axioms in math are useful and give verifiable, reproducible results. Use those axioms and your GPS satellites actually work.

Using axioms "to support the divine" is only a matter of pulling arbitrary stuff out of your butt. There's no way to verify their correctness or usefulness.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Tagging @Polymath257

Math IMO is a language, so in this sense created. It is used to describe the universe, which is discovered.

Shaul

Premium Member
The difference is that the axioms in math are useful and give verifiable, reproducible results. Use those axioms and your GPS satellites actually work.

Using axioms "to support the divine" is only a matter of pulling arbitrary stuff out of your butt. There's no way to verify their correctness or usefulness.
You should look up the definition of axiom. It doesn't comport with what you wrote.

Shaul

Premium Member
You claim to be a math teacher, right?
I don't claim it, I was a STEM teacher. I am now retired. Although I have taught many subjects over the years. You dismissed any use of axioms for any discussion of the divine out of hand before even hearing it. You claim to be open minded, right?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Tagging @Polymath257

I suppose every culture will eventually have a need to count stuff or measure stuff. It may be somewhat innate, at least in terms of determining size and amounts. I can imagine people being aware of who has bigger piles of food or which animals are bigger. I'm not sure about animal species, although I've heard about some species where the mother is able to count their offspring (though I'm not sure if that's true or just an old tale).

The language likely evolved along with the spoken and written language. 7 is still 7 regardless of what language you use to express it, so that's universal. But then, the same could be said of a tree, which would still be a tree regardless of what language is used. So, perhaps it can be said that math is discovered, but the language is invented. Although "invented" may not be the right word here.

vulcanlogician

Independent discovery generally happens because there are similar intuitions flying around. Often the specifics are different as invented by different people. Over time, the community decides which concepts are most productive as mathematics and those become standards assumptions.

I'm not certain what my conclusions are to this query. But I do seem like to push back on the "invented" position. So I'm stuck somewhere between mathematical realism and your position. It seems to me that the Pythagorean Theorem says something genuine about right triangles. The things it says are 1) provable and 2) universal to all right triangles. Does the Pythagorean theorem not say something true about right triangles?

If you tightened up your skeptic's hat really hard like that and then contemplated science, you could claim that "gravity isn't real. It's just a human invention that explains the motions of massive objects." What would be your reply to that objection?

I don’t think that mathematical objects are “out there” in any meaningful sense. We choose what is of interest and study those things. We choose our axioms to show that study. Unlike physics, say, I do not think an alien race would necessarily arrive at the same results in point set topology as we have.

I'm not asserting anything one way or the other concerning the topic. And I recognize that it falls more within your purview than mine. So I'm just kinda asking what your opinion is with my objections-- rather than challenging you.

But wouldn't you suspect that a rational alien would arrive at the same conclusions about triangles as we have? Like, it'd be weird to find a space-faring civilization who rejected the Pythagorean theorem, wouldn't it? Almost inconceivable. (Or would you disagree with that notion?)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I wouldn't. I'm waiting for some believer to come up with a set of axioms and operations which describe a system of divinity that is as consistent as mathematics. That would show that the divine is a Platonic ideal.
But the reality is that there is no system to the madness. All the divine "axioms" are just rectally derived claims with no connection to each other, and usually contradictory.
Mathematical axioms are discovered through the "observation" of numbers and forms.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A similar question is what are the irreducible "Events" Rules" necessary to cause a functioning universe to come into existence.
Are they the same for all universes.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not certain what my conclusions are to this query. But I do seem like to push back on the "invented" position. So I'm stuck somewhere between mathematical realism and your position. It seems to me that the Pythagorean Theorem says something genuine about right triangles. The things it says are 1) provable and 2) universal to all right triangles. Does the Pythagorean theorem not say something true about right triangles?
No, it says something about right triangles *if Euclidean geometry is assumed*. But, since the early 1800's, we know that there are non-Euclidean geometries that are just as internally consistent as Euclidean geometry. In these geometries, such basic 'facts' as Pythagorus' theorem and that the sum of the angles of a triangle is a straight angle are simply false. Furthermore, such geometries are more appropriate in many situations (for example, spherical geometry is non-Euclidean as is the geometry of general relativity).

I can easily imagine situations where an alien race would first arrive at a non-Euclidean geometry where Pythagorus' theorem fails.
If you tightened up your skeptic's hat really hard like that and then contemplated science, you could claim that "gravity isn't real. It's just a human invention that explains the motions of massive objects." What would be your reply to that objection?
Unlike mathematics, the motions of the bodies is objectively measurable. As long as those motions are correctly predicted, we have a *physically* equivalent theory.

This has a long history even in human physics. Newton described gravity in terms of a force which acts at a distance. Lagrange described it as a 'potential' that acts locally. There is also description where the motion maximizes an 'action' in a way that has been interpreted as teleological. These theories are *completely* equivalent in the motions they predict and are considered by physicists as just different ways to approach certain physics problems. That they are philosophically very different is simply seen as irrelevant.

Einstein described it as a distortion of the geometry of spacetime. But there is also a Lagrangian description of Einsteinian gravity. Again, these are equivalent in the predictions of motion, which is ALL that is important for the physics.

So, no, I would NOT necessarily expect that an alien race would arrive at the same *laws* of physics as we have (even to the current approximation), but I *do* expect the two systems to make the same predictions about observable motion.
I'm not asserting anything one way or the other concerning the topic. And I recognize that it falls more within your purview than mine. So I'm just kinda asking what your opinion is with my objections-- rather than challenging you.

But wouldn't you suspect that a rational alien would arrive at the same conclusions about triangles as we have? Like, it'd be weird to find a space-faring civilization who rejected the Pythagorean theorem, wouldn't it? Almost inconceivable. (Or would you disagree with that notion?)
I see it as easily conceivable. if their planet is small enough, or the history of their math is different enough, they may easily have come to spherical geometry as the basis of their geometrical thinking. And in that system Pythagorus' theorem is simply false.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree that some esoteric fields of maths are invented, the question is where the border is.

Like number systems? That is just convention. The maths stay the same, if you do it in a binary or sexagesimal.

What is interesting is the internal consistency.
Even consistency changes definitions under paraconsistent logic. Don't assume that the binary logic we default to is the only possible one. For example, there is a history of four-valued logic in Buddhist systems.
You are assuming that items have enough duration to be counted in a consistent way. This relies on the temperatures involved being low enough that things maintain identity.

Even with 'counting', there are several variants that have been seen in human history: is 0 a number or not? Is 1 a number or not? is the collection of all counting numbers a completed entity? Are numbers that are far, far more than anything relevant to the observable universe actually meaningful?

The way I would put it is that we have found that much math useful for forming physical theories that can be tested. I would *not* assume that an alien race would arrive at the same math as we have. There are simply too many *known* alternatives.