• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Materialism

Sirktas

Magician
There are two definitions when searched:

ma·te·ri·al·ism   [muh-teer-ee-uh-liz-uhm]
noun
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.
the philosophical theory that regards matter and its motions as constituting the universe, and all phenomena, including those of mind, as due to material agencies.

It's obvious that materialism makes us human, but, as the former suggests, at what point, if at any, does it become unhealthy or seemingly unnatural, a weakness? Is there a 'genetic destiny' for those who are highly materialistic?

Some people choose, are raised, or meant, to be concerned only with themselves and their possessions. It just seems to me a shallow form of survival/existence, but can those people be truly happy? Probably?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
People whom haven't the intuition to maybe see anything beyond this life act all... hmm.. desperate? Don't worry.. I understand.. Conversations like these make me feel old when I'm not even past the middle of my life. Happiness based on external criteria is both temporal and irrelevant. There is so much more to life than what most can see... perhaps that is the cruel joke of it... Nothing comes with you when you die... you are left with yourself and your notions... How healthy is your psyche? Can you live with it forever? If not.. quit f--uckin around!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Can anyone say as to why *Materialism* is also a path or a way or a religion??

Love & rgds

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There are two definitions when searched:

It's obvious that materialism makes us human, but, as the former suggests, at what point, if at any, does it become unhealthy or seemingly unnatural, a weakness? Is there a 'genetic destiny' for those who are highly materialistic?

Some people choose, are raised, or meant, to be concerned only with themselves and their possessions. It just seems to me a shallow form of survival/existence, but can those people be truly happy? Probably?

I'm personally an extremist, and I get pleasure from it.

I see the only basis of morality is pleasure and pain.

Some things do need to be done in moderation in order to be enlightened (pleasure).

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
How healthy is your psyche? Can you live with it forever? If not.. quit f--uckin around!

Excactly. If you can't figure out what to do with yourself on a Sunday afternoon, what the hell are you going to do with eternity?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\