• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

masturbation

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
What is your religion's views and your personal views about masturbation? Why? What scriptural evidence is there for masturbation being wrong, accepted, or neutral? What have the leaders of your religion said and how authoritative or credible are these rulings?

I also have specific questions for some religions. Mods, is it ok to post the same subject on several DIR threads?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
There are a few theories about how Atum gave birth to Tefnut and Shu. They are written in stone, but several different versions are so any of them may be true.

1) Atum masturbated to create Tefnut and Shu.

2) Atum masturbated out Tefnut and sneezed out Shu.

3) The other theory I know of does not involve masturbation and is somewhat more graphic so I will not list it in this thread.

I figure if He can masturbate so can us mortals. :) He made us in His image for a reason!

Khale

What is your religion's views and your personal views about masturbation? Why? What scriptural evidence is there for masturbation being wrong, accepted, or neutral? What have the leaders of your religion said and how authoritative or credible are these rulings?

I also have specific questions for some religions. Mods, is it ok to post the same subject on several DIR threads?

My religions view's: Masturbate
My personal views: Masturbate
Why: Just a sec, let me finish up . . .

There is plenty of scriptural evidence supporting masturbation. Take for example Luke 13:18-13-:19
Luke said:
Then Jesus asked, "What is the kingdom of God like? What shall I compare it to? It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air perched in its branches."
This is a clear allegory for male masturbation. Note how Jesus compares a man's tree to the kingdom of heaven. He even insinuates that doing so will bring "birds" to the perch. A more uplifting speech about the bounties of self-pleasure I've never heard.

It's also worth mentioning that in the very next paragraph Jesus showers his praises on female masturbation. Comparing it to the process of leavening three measures of flour. Which, from my anatomical experience, seems about right.

RomCat

Masturbation is a disordered human act which
is objectively evil. It is the use of your sexuality
for purposes other than God wills. Even within
marriage masturbation is objectively evil.
Live your life as God intends and you will come
to experience true joy.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
to experience true joy.

And you know what god wills? I think not.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
One version of my religion's Mythology is that Atum masturbated to create Shu and Tefnut. I figure what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
to experience true joy.

Scriptural backing?

Mr Cheese

to experience true joy.

Yes some occultists view masturbation as an act that causes demons and angels to fight over semen....

misanthropic_clown

I don't think there is any scriptural basis for the LDS view against masturbation, but it is rooted in the standards of moral behaviour advocated by prophets which would be an equally authoritative source in our view. Essentially any pre-martial sexual activity is forbidden, and even within marriage, sexual activity is meant to be between husband and wife which would exclude masturbation.

There does seem to be a predominant attitude that masturbation is a serious thing, which I don't necessarily accept. For example, in the book "Miracle of Forgiveness" by (if I recall correctly) Spencer W Kimball, he suggests that masturbation is a precursor activity towards homosexuality. I find that view absurd, and I don't view masturbation as that big a deal.

Mr Cheese

masturbation is a healthy expression that releieves tension

it promotes health and wellness in the person doing it:
it prevents colon cancer
It releases nice endorphins
It prevents unhealthy sperm from fertilising eggs

As with all sexual activities, intention is everything
miscellaneous negative ideas:

Some would argue a spiritual seeker's greatest tool is the imagination
Too much perversion or too much redirtecting of the imagination in one way or another can result in a poor use of imagination

Occultist Samael Aun Weor, of the Gnostics (thelema press), which are one of the many groups that use the word Gnostic, but have very little if anythign to do with people that wrote texts like the gospel of Thomas.... describes in his book, the perfect matrimony:

How spilling of seed is wrong
He practises "non spilling" "tanrtic sex magic"
He states in his book that when we masturbate, demons and angels fight over the semen....

Occultist Alesteir Crowley had similar sentiments and believed a "spiritual child" was conceived through masturbation

Satanists and other left hand path (LHP) practioners often practise manuy forms of masturbation...

"every sperm is sacred....."
--Monty Python

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
How did I post to this thread twice? I really should slow down. Oh, and this makes three. Hey I can't skip something about masturbating.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think that my religion has a view on masturbation. My personal view: it keeps me sane. If it weren't for this personal outlet, i'd have lost my virginity years earlier. Everyone has a different level of sex desire/libido and those with stronger biological needs should have an outlet. It's much better than being driven to rape or pedophelia, which plenty of strict religious people have stooped to doing in their desperate conditions.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
monkeymasturbate.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciLllSAcF-8

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
to experience true joy.

By "true joy" do you mean a wet dream?