• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massive Super-Predator Theorised In Australian Waters

The Neo Nerd

Massive Sea Creature Attacks, Kills and Eats A 3 Meter Long Great White Shark

Massive Sea Creature Attacks, Kills And Eats A 3 Meter Long Great White Shark | IFLScience

According to Australian scientists, a tagged 3-meter-long (9 foot) great white shark was killed and eaten by an even bigger predator, most likely a “colossal cannibal great white shark”

A healthy female great white shark, named “shark alpha” was tagged in Australian waters as part of a large-scale tagging project that set out to investigate the movement of these animals along Australia’s coast.

4 months after the shark was tagged the device washed up on the coast around 2.5 miles from where it was attached. When scientists retrieved the data from the tag, they were very surprised at what it revealed. The information showed that the device experienced a rapid plunge in depth, descending around 580 meters. However, there was also a concomitant temperature rise, increasing from around 46oF (8oC) to 78oF (25.5oC). The temperature then remained at 78oF for 8 days.

I am never going in the water again.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It probably hung around the Mekong delta too long and ate too much genetically modified rice floating down the river.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What could eat a 3 meter shark? I'm calling it now: lagiacrus. Those guys get 16 meters. EDIT: D'ough! I was thinking of Rathians! Lagiacruses... Lagiacrusi... get to about 25 meters.

...seriously, could it be that the tag was just torn off the shark and eaten while the shark got away?

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
What could eat a 3 meter shark? I'm calling it now: lagiacrus. Those guys get 16 meters.

...seriously, could it be that the tag was just torn off the shark and eaten while the shark got away?

My first thought was: another great white. That was considered in the article, as well.

The article also stated that it's possible that a chunk of it was eaten vs. the entire shark.

The Neo Nerd

At the bottom of the article it does discuss that something took a nibble out of it and took the tag with it.

That's why i put "theorised" in the thread title.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
At the bottom of the article it does discuss that something took a nibble out of it and took the tag with it.

That's why i put "theorised" in the thread title.

Okie-dokie. I didn't read the whole article; I just watched the video. ^_^

A giant shark-eating monster is just so much more exciting. :yes: Too bad it's unlikely. (Orcas and squid don't count as monsters; they're too mundane and well-understood.)

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Seems like it's probably another bigger Great White shark. Orcas don't dive as deep as sharks do and considering the depth, it was probably not an Orca.

The Neo Nerd

Seems like it's probably another bigger Great White shark. Orcas don't dive as deep as sharks do and considering the depth, it was probably not an Orca.

According to the seaworld website killer wales can dive at most to about 350m falling short of the 580m measured by the tag.

KILLER WHALES - Adaptations for an Aquatic Environment

Giant squids are able to dive down to atleast a kilometre so that is a possibility. There known habitat does include the southwestern parts of Australia.

Giant squid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia