• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Graves at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church

Why do you think if was headlined, promoted and promulgated to the detriment of people of faith?

• It was totally unintentional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was truly believed by the archaeologists - innocently

• The archaeology team were approaching it with bias

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • The media used an honest mistake for the purpose of "selling a story".

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • What is notable is that there was no visible retraction of the story

• The archaeology approached it with police information and simply came to a wrong conclusion.

• It was a planned effort to demean people of faith.

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Not a thread of truth in it! No bodies whatsoever.

Why do you think it was headlined, promoted and promulgated to the detriment of people of faith? Honest mistake? Other motives?

This has been verified in Canada, here in the States, and in many places worldwide, and there's no moral justification for the abuse that sometimes was involved.

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll as my "take" wasn't listed.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This has been verified in Canada, here in the States, and in many places worldwide, and there's no moral justification for the abuse that sometimes was involved.

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll as my "take" wasn't listed.
Yes... there have been abuses. Not denying what are verified abuses... but knowing the anti-religious position of Canada has shown, it really makes me wonder why this false accusation. We know that a person is innocent until proven guilty. In this case it was "guilty" with no proof and no real retraction. IMV

Kenny

Premium Member
I have no idea what motives they had.
But quite a few Indian children here
died while "attending" Catholic schools
re-education detention centers.
Should the graves be dug up for verification?
Yes... it is back to innocent until proven guilty. I have no problem with exposing abuse. Then again, are all deaths because of abuse? Or are there real diseases that one couldn't stop in those days!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes... there have been abuses. Not denying what are verified abuses... but knowing the anti-religious position of Canada has shown, it really makes me wonder why this false accusation. We know that a person is innocent until proven guilty. In this case it was "guilty" with no proof and no real retraction. IMV
Where the problem comes in is that there's usually no way today that we can tell with any certainty whether that child was abused or died of other causes. However, we do know that there definitely was some abuse involved, and even a little bit would be unacceptable. Much the same occurred in Australia, and the government there has acknowledged it.

Also, the abuse of the Amerindians throughout the Americas was rampant.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What "anti-religious position of Canada?"

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Not a thread of truth in it! No bodies whatsoever.

Why do you think it was headlined, promoted and promulgated to the detriment of people of faith? Honest mistake? Other motives?

I wouldn't overstate the case by saying there wasn't a thread of truth in it. With so many indigenous children in those boarding schools, you can't say none of them died from abuse, either. It's a complex history, including that some indigenous parents wanted their children to attend those boarding schools, even if the children didn't want to be there. To some parents, the chance for education trumped anything else. But regardless of what parents wanted, those children were stripped of their heritage. And that's a horrible history for Canada, and for the U.S.

Kenny

Premium Member
I wouldn't overstate the case by saying there wasn't a thread of truth in it. With so many indigenous children in those boarding schools, you can't say none of them died from abuse, either. It's a complex history, including that some indigenous parents wanted their children to attend those boarding schools, even if the children didn't want to be there. To some parents, the chance for education trumped anything else. But regardless of what parents wanted, those children were stripped of their heritage. And that's a horrible history for Canada, and for the U.S.
They didn't find one grave in this case.

Kenny

Premium Member
I realize that they didn't in this case. What about other cases?
Where guilty is, it is. No problem on my side... what I didn't like is the sudden jump to conclusion and the lack of clear retraction and admission of error.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Where guilty is, it is. No problem on my side... what I didn't like is the sudden jump to conclusion and the lack of clear retraction and admission of error.

Agreed. Maybe because the possibility wouldn't surprise me at all, the headline didn't surprise me even if it turns out to be unsubstantiated in this case. There are also stories about the women's and children's homes in Ireland, another horror story.