• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marat/Sade

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
or The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade

A recent thread about the Marquis de Sade had me remembering the 1964 RSC production of this play, which I saw at least three times. Glenda Jackson was hardly known then (her performance here no doubt helping her rise to fame), or many of the other cast members, apart from Patrick Magee(*) or Ian Richardson perhaps, but I can remember the effect the production had on my teenage mind. I thought it was just stunning - and a bit shocking. I recently found a DVD version (Spanish, but in English too) of the later film (1967, and having much of the original cast) and it is just as good as I remembered it.

So, has anyone else seen this since I know it did have later productions and went quite early to America?

(The first few minutes and more available apparently if one searches)

Marat/Sade: The play that began a stage revolution

* Magee was in a another RSC play, Afore Night Come, where he was decapitated rather brutally with a pitchfork. I only saw that play once.

Theatre: Afore Night Come