• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing conflict with humour!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I figured I would post this here but if peope want it moved to another part of the forum I wouldn't have any objections :)

Hope you are all well.

I was busy surfing the web for advice on handling disputes in a positive way - especially family conflict ...

I didn't expect humour to be prominent on the list but found this excellent site -

Managing Conflict with Humor - HelpGuide.org

They also have a few articles about improving or maintaining your mental health - for example -

Building Better Mental Health - HelpGuide.org

Enjoy your day!

whirlingmerc

I figured I would post this here but if peope want it moved to another part of the forum I wouldn't have any objections :)

Hope you are all well.

I was busy surfing the web for advice on handling disputes in a positive way - especially family conflict ...

I didn't expect humour to be prominent on the list but found this excellent site -

They also have a few articles about improving or maintaining your mental health - for example -

Enjoy your day!

Dealing with conflict with humor is a good strategy for diffusing a situation sometimes... there are other choices are well

nPeace

Veteran Member

Hope you are all well.

Enjoy your day!
I tend to like the advice from the Bible better, since the principles outlined leave no room for unseen problems.
For example...
Some humor can be taken seriously, and someone may try to pull a 'wise crack' and it backfires. :eek:

However, some people do share what has worked for them, and that's not a bad thing, I don't think.

Edit
:eek: See what I mean.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I tend to like the advice from the Bible better, since the principles outlined leave no room for unseen problems.
For example...
Some humor can be taken seriously, and someone may try to pull a 'wise crack' and it backfires. :eek:

However, some people do share what has worked for them, and that's not a bad thing, I don't think.

Edit
:eek: See what I mean.

Fair enough - I do realise that what is "funny" to one human being will not necessarily get the same reaction from another human being.

It's like everything - everyone has their own likes & dislikes & tastes & opinions & beliefs ...

And we ALL believe our way is the "right" way.

:)

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Hope you are all well.

Enjoy your day!
Lewis Black
his routine in Washington

nPeace

Veteran Member
Fair enough - I do realise that what is "funny" to one human being will not necessarily get the same reaction from another human being.

It's like everything - everyone has their own likes & dislikes & tastes & opinions & beliefs ...

And we ALL believe our way is the "right" way.

I don't believe my way is the right way. I believe I need guidance. I realize we humans tend to mess up too much. Especially when we stick out that our way is right, it seems to me a bit closed minded.

Now where can we find guidance that works well for everyone?
Do you have any ideas?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Lewis Black
Lewis Niles Black (born August 30, 1948) is an American stand-up comedian, author, playwright, social critic, voice actor, and actor. He is best known for his angry demeanour and belligerent comedic style, in which he often simulates having a mental breakdown. His comedy routines often escalate into angry rants about history, politics, religion, or any other cultural trends.

Is he your idea of good guidance?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Lewis Niles Black (born August 30, 1948) is an American stand-up comedian, author, playwright, social critic, voice actor, and actor. He is best known for his angry demeanour and belligerent comedic style, in which he often simulates having a mental breakdown. His comedy routines often escalate into angry rants about history, politics, religion, or any other cultural trends.

Is he your idea of good guidance?
satire and sharp critique

are the double edged sword

and he can do it with a smile...…
and make people laugh

at themselves

and others

and if the insight was dealt by sermon
it would sound more like damnation and hell fire

which do you prefer?

nPeace

Veteran Member
satire and sharp critique

are the double edged sword

and he can do it with a smile...…
and make people laugh

at themselves

and others

and if the insight was dealt by sermon
it would sound more like damnation and hell fire

which do you prefer?
The guy is a filthy mouth :nomouth:
I think people are entertained by the most disgusting things - not to mention, the stupidest... imo :innocent:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I don't believe my way is the right way. I believe I need guidance. I realize we humans tend to mess up too much. Especially when we stick out that our way is right, it seems to me a bit closed minded.

Now where can we find guidance that works well for everyone?
Do you have any ideas?

Interesting questions you pose!

Where does one turn to for advice - the Bible has worked for countless people but others use it to become judgemental jerks. Not you of course! :)

I agree with Mathieu Ricard who says that there is a wide variety of mind-training techniques to suit the huge number of different dispositions.

Ultimately I guess you have to trust your own instincts but some people seem to have better instincts than others.

I would say that a truly healthy belief system would be one that helps you rather than hinders you from becoming a kinder & more compassionate human beings. In "theory" that means you can sincerely follow any of the major religions and get a good result or a bad result if you mis-use the teachings to justify negative or judgemental attitudes.

Anyway, those are a few my thoughts and you are welcome to disagree if they don't feel "right" to you.

Cheers!

nPeace

Veteran Member
Interesting questions you pose!

Where does one turn to for advice - the Bible has worked for countless people but others use it to become judgemental jerks. Not you of course! :)

I agree with Mathieu Ricard who says that there is a wide variety of mind-training techniques to suit the huge number of different dispositions.

Ultimately I guess you have to trust your own instincts but some people seem to have better instincts than others.

I would say that a truly healthy belief system would be one that helps you rather than hinders you from becoming a kinder & more compassionate human beings. In "theory" that means you can sincerely follow any of the major religions and get a good result or a bad result if you mis-use the teachings to justify negative or judgemental attitudes.

Anyway, those are a few my thoughts and you are welcome to disagree if they don't feel "right" to you.

Cheers!

Can you give me an example of a "judgmental jerk", so that I can check "the mirror" to see if it fits me. :)

I understand what you are saying, but I am open to other people's views. I like to hear them, and see how they see things. So I hope you don't mind questions :). Some people don't seem to like them.

Years ago, I met an Asian girl, while engaging in the ministry (door to door). She said she was Hindu.
What I noticed about this girl... she was sooooo hospitable, very pleasant, and friendly. It was very refreshing.
She was also very gentle and delicate. I realized this from an experience she shared with us.
I have met other nice people too, and I know, and believe they are many people out there,with a good heart, and some good values.

I believe that the good in man is due to what the scriptures say at Genesis 1:26. We have within us the capacity, and potential to imitate Jehovah's attributes, through his spirit.
I also believe that man's problem is primarily religion. Due to the fact that religion is man's way of fulfilling that part of him he at some point in time realizes, but however, has been crafted by so many varying thoughts and ideas, man has been his worst enemy... as well as his neighbor's.
So the way I see it, there must be a way that allows man to be, not his or his neighbor's worst enemy, but quite the opposite.

My view is that that itis only possible, if man can get back to, or connect to the same source of the spirit that allows him to have good attributes in the first place.
I find the Bible is the place to start, for many reasons. Just to mention a few...
1) It's the oldest book on the creator of the universe and man, and coherently reveals his history to the present, and beyond.
2) It's principles and values work for all races, people, and generation... from my experience.
3) It is available to all people, and languages - for the most part, and still continuing to be made available to more.

Those are just a few.
Can I ask... what have you found in your experience, unites people of all races, backgrounds, nationalities, into one, so that there are no barriers - whether political, or national... so that they do not war against anyone, no matter what part of the world they are from?
What, in your experience, unites people to have the same moral values, and creates within them a love that bonds them as a family internationally... so that everyone living by those values are at peace?

I am interested in hearing your view.