• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man arrested after facial recognition software mistakenly identifies him

Shaul

Premium Member
Of course there are more issues involved in this case than just technology issues. There are also civil rights issues involved. But this was the best fitting forum I could find.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The problem with facial recognition software is it seems to be quite often wrong, and it also tends to be worse at distinguishing between African American people - which, when push comes to shove, really isn't a good look - let alone not being good for the innocent people affected.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The problem with facial recognition software is it seems to be quite often wrong, and it also tends to be worse at distinguishing between African American people - which, when push comes to shove, really isn't a good look - let alone not being good for the innocent people affected.

But to play devils advocate... is it worth it if a potential serial killer such as Bundy/BTK/Ridgeway is caught early in their career?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
But to play devils advocate... is it worth it if a potential serial killer such as Bundy/BTK/Ridgeway is caught early in their career?

I see it as, although that is a positive, the bad might outweigh the good in general, with this technology.

But I could be wrong.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Human cops appear to be even worse at recognizing their targets.
Facial recognition is useful, but there are bugs in the software, &
in protocols for using the results.
AI could be quite useful to find people who've
aged, lost weight, wear disguising features, etc.
But cops should be careful about using it, lest
they fall into the trap....
"But the computer said so!".

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Randal Reid of the great state of Georgia was arrested on a warrant issued by Louisiana. The warrant was for the crime of theft and issued based on his identification by facial recognition software. Except the software had made a mistake and he was not the person that committed the crime.

Facial recognition tool led to mistaken arrest ofp Georgia man, lawyer says
Like I mentioned elsewhere, technology ai, will stop being a tool and take on a role as an offical.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Facial recognition is one tool. It makes mistakes, but so do human eye-witnesses.

How many people have been falsely arrested/convicted because a human misidentified them?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Of course there are more issues involved in this case than just technology issues. There are also civil rights issues involved. But this was the best fitting forum I could find.
I'm wondering how this was deployed. Are there enforcement officers walking around with cameras or is there government surveillance hardware posted all over the place?

Shaul

Premium Member
I'm wondering how this was deployed. Are there enforcement officers walking around with cameras or is there government surveillance hardware posted all over the place?
In this case, according to the article, there were cameras in the stores where the thefts took place.