• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mammon

Lady B

noob
OK? What is it saying?

How about this?, instead of me telling you what it is saying, Go read the last few chapters of Luke 15, see the context, Go into Luke 16 and continue down past verse 20. You really can't take this verse out of the context and understand it,But I am sure you will see what it is saying in all of it's entirety. Look who Christ is speaking to, 3 groups, tax collectors, the Pharisees and his disciples. Keep in mind the animosity going on between them. ok?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I might try another go of it. The reason why is I think it is important to realize that there is another way people have put something between their will do do God's will and their ability to do so. The key word is mammon. It is being taught it means money, riches, worldly goods and such but I say it means "treasure one puts faith in".

3126 mammōnás – a Semitic term for "the treasure a person trusts in" (J. Thayer) who is transliterated as "mammon."

[3126 (mammōnás) is probably an Aramaic term, related to the Hebrew term ̓aman ("to trust," J. Thayer).]

If it was what you say it is why then is the used word not thēsaurous as in Matthew 6:19, 20?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

and

Matthew 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

It is because it's meaning is not limited to physical possessions. And there is a world of difference between having money and trusting in it. But also in having faith (a treasure) and trusting in it. Having wisdom (another treasure) and trusting in it. Knowing truth (the finest treasure) and trusting in it. Anything that is trusted in in this life shall be called mammon.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust toward YHWH with all heart on understanding not lean

Sharing your heart to trust in anything else is called mammon. The most common mammon is money.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."

Do you see that his treasure is ONE pearl? The pearl is symbolic. It does not picture worldly wealth because he sold everything he had to obtain it. Now he has a pearl.

Can anyone make me understand how he can possibly "make friends" with his pearl?

Mammon means the natural trust one has in whatever is considered a valuable possession. Wisdom is a valuable possession. Can we make friends by means of it? Yes! Should we put our trust in wisdom before YHWH? No! Because it is not possible to serve both.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I might try another go of it. The reason why is I think it is important to realize that there is another way people have put something between their will do do God's will and their ability to do so. The key word is mammon. It is being taught it means money, riches, worldly goods and such but I say it means "treasure one puts faith in".

3126 mammōnás – a Semitic term for "the treasure a person trusts in" (J. Thayer) who is transliterated as "mammon."

If it was what you say it is why then is the used word not thēsaurous as in Matthew 6:19, 20?

Matthew 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Sharing your heart to trust in anything else is called mammon. The most common mammon is money.

Mammon means the natural trust one has in whatever is considered a valuable possession. Wisdom is a valuable possession. Can we make friends by means of it? Yes! Should we put our trust in wisdom before YHWH? No! Because it is not possible to serve both.

Scripture does give the answers, actually wisdom is not the enemy here, the hoarding of material wealth and false doctrine is.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Scripture does give the answers, actually wisdom is not the enemy here, the hoarding of material wealth and false doctrine is.

Of course wisdom is not the enemy. :facepalm: (My first face palm)

Trusting in one's own wisdom is dangerous. No?

Rev Hydrogen

Continuity Guru
Mammon is caused by desire, a feature of the conscious mind.

Desire is natural there.and can be a thing or wanting others
to behave as you want them to.
Once the desire is attained it settles down into a relationship.
Another desire is formulated or an exiting one crumbles.
So it becomes a cycle of happiness and sadness as desires are
met/not met. Inner tension is the result of the gap between the way we want them to be and the way they are.

Cutting to the chase,
fulfillment of desires results in the egos ability to affirm and
assert itself in the social environment.

This platform of discourse has evolved in humans
and is not much different in its raw form, than how the ego's of higher mammals like dogs work.

the introduction of reflective thinking and time -5 (odd) million years of hominid evolution has not changed this excellent platform of storage and considered response any great deal.

------------------------------------------

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not know if "why not?" is rhetorical. So I shall answer it by saying there are very few people who will talk to me. And thank you once again!