• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maize's Native American Q&A thread

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm taking a class this semester on the Native People of North America. I had my first class meeting last night and it looks like it's going to be a great class, but lots of work outside class. So I thought I'd start a thread just for me to ask specific questions that may (probably) will come up throughout the semester, just so I can keep them all in one place.

Let me start off my telling you what I'll be reading in this class:

Intro to Native People of North America by Mark Sutton (textbook)

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog (mom had this one, I don't have to buy it) :woohoo:

Anyone read any of these?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've read Bury my Heart... -- Disturbing.

In the same vein, I'd recommend the classic Black Elk Speaks, By John G. Neihardt.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Nope , haven't read any of them . And chances are , you will get to Black Elk Speaks . :)

Hope that you enjoy Maize . I would like to take that class too . { perhaps , some day }

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I've been meaning to read 'bury my heart..." but havent been able to purchase a copy yet.
"lakota woman" is a wonderful book! Its a great view on the 60's-70's indian civil rights movement and the culture on the res. It made me laugh and cry.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
here is a book you might find interesting...
"American Indian Contributions to the World"
it is filled with wonderful information on the things that we take for granted that came from or were indipendantly developed as well by the First nations.

http://www.kporterfield.com/aicttw/

such things as chewing gum, parkas, modern contraceptives and the constitution of the USA.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I have to do an Annotated Bibliography for this class, based on one of the topics, events, or people in Dee Brown's, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. I have chosen to do the Ghost Dance and need peer-reviewed journal articles for this. I am planning on visiting the library for an afternoon someday soon, but thought I'd ask you guys if you have any favorite or good articles on this subject. I can use books as well, but would prefer articles. Thanks.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Maize , read " Black Elk Speaks ". He was where . It was his Vision that started the Spirit Coats . He was wounded at the first Wounded Knee , while wearing his coat . Read the book . :) It is short .

Lightkeeper

kreeden said:
Maize , read " Black Elk Speaks ". He was where . It was his Vision that started the Spirit Coats . He was wounded at the first Wounded Knee , while wearing his coat . Read the book . :) It is short .
Isn't Black Elk the one who said "wherever you are is the center of the Universe?" This is quoted frequently as being highly spiritual.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Yes , those are his words . :) Having had a Vision where he visited " the center of the Universe ", one of his last request was to visit the mountian in his Vision . Asking Neihardt to go with him , he added that anywhere is the center of the universe .... Take that as you will . A Vision is a very powerful and personal thing . Perhaps he felt that he was saying too much , or perhaps he honestly believed that ? I can't say . :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have to say that I feel that is very accurate. You are the center of your Univerce, you can not live life and have it be any other way. If you are not happy with yourself and your relationship with creator than you can not live a good and happy life. Happiness and spirituality must come from within.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I feel horrible that I tried reading "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" in one of my high school classes and could not get past the writing style. Maybe I wasn't mature enough, or maybe it was because it was 'required' reading. I'll have to try again.

I had never heard the quote about being the center of your universe, but I don't think I've found one yet that speaks more truly to me than that one. You simply must be.

martha

Hi Maize,

Please take the time to find a book called, "The Soul of an Indian", and other writings from Ohiyesa, aka Charles Alexander Eastman. New World Library.
The back cover reads in part...Ohiyesa, a Dakota Indian also known as Charles Alexander Eastman, has been described as the "most incisive and sensitive of Native American thinkers" and has been called "an Indian Thoreau"
Born in southern Minnesota in 1858, he attained postgraduate degrees and went on to advise U.S. presidents, always working toward greater understanding between Indians and whites. Later in life, he returned to his native forests of the Midwest and devoted himself to the traditional ways, often going into the woods alone for months at a time.

A short quote is, page 6..." The worship of The Great Mystery is silent, solitary, free from all self seeking."
" It is silent, because all speech is of necessity feeble and imperfect; therefore the souls of our ancestors ascended to God in wordless adoration." "None can exhort or confess or in any way meddle with the religious experience of another. All of us are created children of God, and all stand erect, conscious of our divinity. Our religion is an attitude of mind, not a dogma."
In my humble opinion, this small, (76 pages) book is awesome.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
The book is only 300 pages long Linwood . :) You can do it . ;)

It is a very sad story though , for a number of reasons .

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
kreeden said:

I'm pulling it out today! I might have read some of it before, I can't remember. Thanks. :)