• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magna Mater

biased

What can you tell me about Magna Mater that the Wikipedia article doesn't? I'm looking for a book recommendation on the basis I heard some jape that Christianity or Roman Catholicism is just Magna Mater in a new dress. Obviously, this is Protestant rhetoric/propaganda but it got me interested.

Stella Polaris

| Neutiquam Erro |
She's also called Kybele (Cybele). Here's some good, academic books about her.

In Search of God the Mother: The Cult of Anatolian Cybele - Lynn E. Roller
Cybele, Attis and Related Cults: Essays in Memory of M.J. Vermaseren (Religions in the Graeco-Roman World) - Eugene N. Lane
Soteriology and Mystic Aspects in the Cult of Cybele and Attis - G. Sfameni Gasparro, Sfameni

Mentioned in these:
Mother of the Gods: From Cybele to the Virgin Mary - Philippe Borgeaud and Lysa Hochroth
The Mother of the Gods, Athens, and the Tyranny of Asia: A Study of Sovereignty in Ancient Religion - Mark H. Munn

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Mary could also be Isis. The birth of Horus seems to qualify as a miraculous birth; possibly even 'immaculate conception' given that she didn't actually have sex with Osiris in order to conceive Horus.