• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ma'at

d.

_______
i would appreciate if some of you knowledgeable people would want to help me with this.

i was wondering if it is fair to compare ma'at to the concept of tao, or perhaps 'the one' of gnosticism? if not, how do they differ?

tao is best described as 'the way' of things, how things flow naturally and so on. it isn't manifested as an entity or being or a force. 'the one' is something similar as i understand it - a pantheistic concept of god as present in all things.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
There are certainly many, many similarities. Ma'at translates variously (and roughly) as "Right," "Order," "Justice," "Truth," "Harmony," and a number of other things but, in truth, there is no word in English that can encapsulate the concept adequately. When you are in ma'at, you feel it, you know it, but you can't really describe it. You just know that it's how things are meant to be.

It is, with my limited knowledge of Tao, quite similar to the idea of "the way." Heck,why don't we pull a quote directly from the House of Netjer (Kemetic Orthodoxy) site:

"...the best correlation to Ma'at we can think of outside Kemet is the Taoist understanding of Tao, "The Way"

Ma'at is, of course, also a Netjert (Goddess.) "Ma'at the Goddess" is not exactly a manifestation or personification of "ma'at the concept", though we often speak as if the two are distinct in that way to make things easier in general conversation, but really, the two are the same and there is no distinction. Ma'at is Ma'at.

As much as it feels like a cop out sometimes to say it, ma'at "just is." Much of the time you have to "see" it to know it and when see it, you always know it.

Reactions: d.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I've always pictured her as being the embodiment of wisdom. This is more my personal belief, as opposed to any extended study, simply because I picture a part of holy wisdom as being Justice. (As opposed to simply the law.)

Reactions: d.

d.

_______
thanks, great answer.

Revasser said:
There are certainly many, many similarities. Ma'at translates variously (and roughly) as "Right," "Order," "Justice," "Truth," "Harmony," and a number of other things but, in truth, there is no word in English that can encapsulate the concept adequately. When you are in ma'at, you feel it, you know it, but you can't really describe it. You just know that it's how things are meant to be.

It is, with my limited knowledge of Tao, quite similar to the idea of "the way."

it would seem so - would you think it's fair to suppose that it is two different ways for two cultures to describe/conceptualize at least roughly the same thing/sensation?

Revasser said:
"...the best correlation to Ma'at we can think of outside Kemet is the Taoist understanding of Tao, "The Way"

:rolleyes: wow. good to know i'm not completely off base here. :D

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
divine said:
it would seem so - would you think it's fair to suppose that it is two different ways for two cultures to describe/conceptualize at least roughly the same thing/sensation?

I think that's entirely plausible. I think it may just be one of those things that is part of the human "experience" rather than something specific to any one culture. You'll find a similar idea in many cultures and religions and while some have seemingly attempted to pin it down with brittle sets of morals and rules to follow, others have taken a more "mystical" view of it as something where perception of it is innate, but ultimately undefinable.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
i would appreciate if some of you knowledgeable people would want to help me with this.

i was wondering if it is fair to compare ma'at to the concept of tao, or perhaps 'the one' of gnosticism? if not, how do they differ?

tao is best described as 'the way' of things, how things flow naturally and so on. it isn't manifested as an entity or being or a force. 'the one' is something similar as i understand it - a pantheistic concept of god as present in all things.

That's acually a correct understanding of Ma'at. It's not incorrect. I have sometimes said that the way of Ma'at is like the Sanatan Dharma.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Heck,why don't we pull a quote directly from the House of Netjer (Kemetic Orthodoxy) site:

"...the best correlation to Ma'at we can think of outside Kemet is the Taoist understanding of Tao, "The Way".

:yes:

Dendera

But when thinking of Maat you must understand how unique it is to Kemet. The Ancient Egyptian religion was not founded by hermits,monks, or poets. Kemetic spiritual reality was based on political and practical ones. It's an agent, Ra, Horus or the Ruler himself that establishes Maat. And to do so one needed Power,some connection to Zep Tepi beginning time.Thus every ruler claimed to be descended from Horus.

Whereas Tao is a description of the inherent nature of the universe more like a science. It cant adequately be described and its not a moral code, because once it is apprehended as a code it's true nature is compromised. We dont have evidence that the AE philosophized or wrote books on the nature of Maat.It was an active principle,that had to be created with the restoration of buildings,resisting bribery ,and at a person level being silent, humble and hardworking.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
To me Ma'at is Beautiful! She is the goddess of Justice and Truth, She is one of the nine primary Neteru that I personally Work with on a Magical level, and I always invoke Her Name during every ritual working. We each have deep within the naos (spiritual center) of the soul or ba an individual hidden Truth. This is the province of Ma'at. To me, the great Work of Life is to strive towards Becoming the Truth of our own Being. Balance is also an important aspect of Ma'at - Balance can be interpreted in several ways, but one that I hold dear is the knowledge of that which we Are and knowing that which we are not (being aware of our limitations can guard us against trying to become something that we are not). And one way we can manifest Justice is by bringing into complete actualization all that which we Truly Are - the most noble, honorable, and powerful aspects of our Self. The Principle of Ma'at is essential in the great Work of Life.

Xeper em Ma'at= "Become the Truth of thine own Being."
/Adramelek\

Last edited: