• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loving/Kicking your enemy !!!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Do you really dislike your stepson at times or do you just dislike his behaviors? Perhaps it is just semantics, but I feel that to truly love someone, even in the "Christian" sense, you must find something about the person to like. Otherwise one is loving out of a sense of duty not connection to a person.

I know the term "Christian" sense is a poor choice of words, but could not come up with anything else. Not sure if it is because of my religious background or decreasing brain function due to advancing age. Am open to anyone's input - for better term, not concerning my advancing age.

No, sometimes I really dislike him -- his demeanor, not his actions, per se. But I still love him.

"Like" and "love" are two completely different dynamics. One is purely emotional. The other is relational. They may interact to make a pleasant "soup" of interaction, but they are not the same thing at all and can be separated.

"'Christian' sense" is perfectly fine. I'm a Christian.

sojourner

My Christian friends like love and others usually mention this verse whether directly or indirectly:

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matt 5:43

How practical is that?

Also, for non-christians, they might believe in the same thing, but not of course litreally, and they usually fail to represent how can the love for their enemy have any benefit.

To be honest, when i hear of the love your enemy thing, i feel its just for show only, and i never heard of any practical aspects of it other than posting it in forums and just speaking of it for the sake of showing the bright side of some beliefs, but of course, not in practical way.

It's eminently practical, from a spiritual standpoint. Only from a perspective of selfishness -- not selflessness -- can "loving one's enemy" be found impractical. Jesus taught selflessness. That's the Chrisian way. If you were Christian you would find that easier to understand. The basic tenet of Christianity is love -- no matter what.

Loving your enemy -- showing hospitality -- fosters amity and does not propagate enmity. What could (or should!) be more practical than that?

Does it come off as show sometimes -- or often? Yes it does. Nobody's perfect, but we all do the best we can. At least we have the little pinprick of light of this tenet to guide us through the darkness of human selfishness.

sojourner

Exactly...I often imagine those who purport to "love their enemies" proclaiming it whilst striking an intellectual pose, involving having a tobacco pipe in one corner of their mouths whilst regarding a lily....and then screaming seven kinds of obscenities at someone who takes their parking space about an hour later.

So what? It's regrettable that that happens, but no one is perfect. Many constantly hold Christians to a higher standard and are very quick to call "hypocrite," like we're not ordinary human beings or something. I don't know...maybe we should be held to a higher standard. How else are we going to put our light on a lamp stand?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its true that we can find in the bible about loving your enemy, but i don't imagine someone would be able to do it, and i haven't seen or read about one. Nonetheless, there might be few out there who possesses this spirit but most of people will mention it even though they know deep in their hearts that they won't forgive their enemies, how about loving them !!!

Phil Lawton

So what? It's regrettable that that happens, but no one is perfect. Many constantly hold Christians to a higher standard and are very quick to call "hypocrite," like we're not ordinary human beings or something. I don't know...maybe we should be held to a higher standard. How else are we going to put our light on a lamp stand?

Calm, lad...I was being light-hearted.

My point (if I'd had one) is that "loving your enemy" is a lofty ambition oft spoken of, but seldom out into practice.

maro

muslimah
My point (if I'd had one) is that "loving your enemy" is a lofty ambition oft spoken of, but seldom out into practice.

it's out of practice becoz it's against " human nature " , if any one here loves his

enemies , just let me know :D

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Its true that we can find in the bible about loving your enemy, but i don't imagine someone would be able to do it, and i haven't seen or read about one. Nonetheless, there might be few out there who possesses this spirit but most of people will mention it even though they know deep in their hearts that they won't forgive their enemies, how about loving them !!!

It's definitely not easy to do. But I think we need to define what love is first. If we're viewing love as that emotion of tenderness in the heart, or warm fuzzy feelings, then I'd say no one loves their enemies. But I believe true love for someone seeks their best, treats a person kindly irregardless of how they treat you, doesn't seek revenge, prays for them. (Jesus would be the perfect example, literally:).) That, by the power of God, is possible. Hard, but possible. 1 Corinthians 13 is a good chapter to read. I can be patient with someone, kind, not keep a record of wrongs, etc... even if they are my enemy and I don't have any affectionate feelings for them. Not that I do a good job of this mind you. I'm a work in progress:rolleyes:

Angelfire

Is there any point in loving your enemy while kicking him/her?

Do you really believe in such a thing?

If you said "yes", then why?

If you said "No", then why not?

I know this might sound funny for some of you but i'm really curious about this issue and i'm interested in serious thoughts.

Thanks in advance. :)

To love your enemies means to want for them what you want for yourself, like peace,
prosperity, safety. Kicking anybody is barbaric.

peace

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Is there any point in loving your enemy while kicking him/her?

Do you really believe in such a thing?

If you said "yes", then why?

If you said "No", then why not?

I know this might sound funny for some of you but i'm really curious about this issue and i'm interested in serious thoughts.

Thanks in advance. :)

As a Christian, I believe that the sin is what needs kicking at, not the sinner. We are frail humans who are easily led into doing things we ought not to do.

In an ideal society, people who sin (or break civil rules) would be far better being nurtured to show them the errors of their ways, rather than being punished, put into an environment where they will meet others of their kind, and learn to bear a grudge against the society that has punished them.

There is only one message from Christianity (though even I get it wrong often enough); the only answer to everything is "Love".