• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

love your enemy

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What's "higher" or "lower" depends on your presuppositions. For instance, if you presuppose that the more altruistic a teaching is, the higher it is, then perhaps there is no teaching higher than to love one's enemies, although such a teaching would surely be rivaled by the bodhisattva's altruism in spontaneously committing him or herself to enlightenment purely for the sake of others.

I think altruism ranks high. But to give to, to help, to forgive, to love those who are against you or hate you or hurting you seems to be the highest thing I could imagine a person could do

Well for 1 it's not easy in my experience... depending on how severe the wrong suffered is and by whose hand the wrong comes by seems to make a difference

What about the golden rule, which is to treat others the way that you want to be treated?
I guess they are very similar.
But anyone can show kindness to someone who returns or deserves it. It seems to be more of a challenge when it is someone who is undeserving or is against you.
To show love to everyone including a person who is harming you seems very high and admirable

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Is there any teaching higher than the teaching of Jesus to love your enemy?
As one understands, It was best for that time only.

Holy Quran:
[42:41] And the recompense of an injury is an injury the like thereof; but whoso forgives and his act brings about reformation, his reward is with Allah. Surely, He loves not the wrongdoers.
[42:42] But there is no blame on those who defend themselves after they have been wronged.
[42:43] The blame is only on those who wrong men and transgress in the earth without justification. Such will have a grievous punishment.
[42:44] And he who is patient and forgives — that surely is a matter of strong determination.

As one understands, It was best for that time only.

Holy Quran:
[42:41] And the recompense of an injury is an injury the like thereof; but whoso forgives and his act brings about reformation, his reward is with Allah. Surely, He loves not the wrongdoers.
[42:42] But there is no blame on those who defend themselves after they have been wronged.
[42:43] The blame is only on those who wrong men and transgress in the earth without justification. Such will have a grievous punishment.
[42:44] And he who is patient and forgives — that surely is a matter of strong determination.
That is interesting. I believe it is a current commandment for a follower of Jesus to "turn the other cheek ". As far as I know, He is the only one that commands His followers to do that.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Is there any teaching higher than the teaching of Jesus to love your enemy?

It seems to be the most difficult, for sure. Particularly if you're a conservative American, it seems. 'Dem Gays gotta go, the Bible says it's so!' (it doesn't).