• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love, sex, and spirituality

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe that love is spiritual, but sex is not love, so sex is not spiritual. I believe that sex for the purpose of procreation is spiritual, since it is sex out of love for a potential new being that will be created, but aside from procreation, sex is a physical act that is engaged in to gratify the desires of the flesh in order to experience physical pleasure.

On the Spiritual Singles dating site there is a Profile question about sex, and men can choose between Not Important, Somewhat Important, Important, or Extremely Important. The bulk of men I have viewed say sex is Extremely Important. Why does a man who claims to be spiritual say that sex is ‘Extremely Important’ in a relationship? Often the same man also says that spirituality is ‘Extremely Important.’ I consider this contradictory since the man is saying two things that cannot both be true, since they are in conflict with each other.

Why pretend that sex is spiritual? Anyone who has ever read the Bible knows that sex that is engaged in to gratify the desires of the flesh is not spiritual because the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit.

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

John 6:63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

1 John 2:16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

Galatians 5:16-17 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I believe that love is spiritual

I agree.

but sex is not love

I agree.

so sex is not spiritual.

I disagree. Sex can be one of the more spiritual things there is in life.

I believe that sex for the purpose of procreation is spiritual

For that purpose alone? I disagree.

I consider this contradictory since the man is saying two things that cannot both be true, since they are in conflict with each other.

I disagree that there's a contradiction.

I'm a pagan, and I see the merits of sex. Doesn't mean I have a super high libido.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I don't think sex is merely an act of gratification of the flesh. Many people express their love through physical affection, including kissing and hugging. So, too, do people like to spend time with those they love doing something they both enjoy. Sex is one way to have both of these things, and it is often a symbolic affirmation of commitment.

From what I hear from those who care about it, anyway.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Sex and sexual desire developed in our species through eons of evolution. When I have sex and experience the myriad sensations that accompany it, I am living out the legacy of survival of our species.

I am tapping into the creative force of life.

I find a lot of spiritual inspiration in this.

But I understand other folks don't. They have their own ways of tapping into the creative and inspirational forces of life. The diversity of our species is a strength. :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a hard question, but how can a relationship be purely spiritual? Its people, and people seem to be only partly spiritual. They can also be confused about what is spiritual, since physical things can affect spiritual ones.

But there are people who do believe sex is spiritual and also that physical things are spiritual. For example some believe in nonduality. For example in duality some people believe music is physical, but in non-duality there is no difference between physical and spiritual.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I believe that love is spiritual, but sex is not love, so sex is not spiritual. I believe that sex for the purpose of procreation is spiritual, since it is sex out of love for a potential new being that will be created, but aside from procreation, sex is a physical act that is engaged in to gratify the desires of the flesh in order to experience physical pleasure.

On the Spiritual Singles dating site there is a Profile question about sex, and men can choose between Not Important, Somewhat Important, Important, or Extremely Important. The bulk of men I have viewed say sex is Extremely Important. Why does a man who claims to be spiritual say that sex is ‘Extremely Important’ in a relationship? Often the same man also says that spirituality is ‘Extremely Important.’ I consider this contradictory since the man is saying two things that cannot both be true, since they are in conflict with each other.

Why pretend that sex is spiritual? Anyone who has ever read the Bible knows that sex that is engaged in to gratify the desires of the flesh is not spiritual because the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit.

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

John 6:63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

1 John 2:16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

Galatians 5:16-17 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
I see no contradiction as sex is supposed an expression of love and affection, and facilitates bonding between the partners. It's much more than just the physical.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Sex can be spiritual. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Apparently for you, sex isn't, so you probably don't value sex as much as some people. For Baha'is, sex is restricted to married couples. And I would argue that in most cases, if two married people are having sex, that is spiritual.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
For Baha'is, sex is restricted to married couples. And I would argue that in most cases, if two married people are having sex, that is spiritual.
It really irks me when religions shame sex like that, as well as other things (holidays, dancing, reading certain books, freethinking, blood transfusions, etc) I really wish people would think for themselves why is it so wrong? instead of throwing away one of life's greatest pleasures (like I did in my youth). But this is just my opinion.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

We are body, mind and soul, and these things are separate and have important aspects to each. Sex is a drive, so it tends to rate pretty highly in the need department.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
It really irks me when religions shame sex like that, as well as other things (holidays, dancing, reading certain books, freethinking, blood transfusions, etc) I really wish people would think for themselves why is it so wrong? instead of throwing away one of life's greatest pleasures (like I did in my youth). But this is just my opinion.

Sounds like you've been spending too much time at the Kingdom Hall, my friend. :confused:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There's nothing spiritual about eating potato chips, but many find it extremely important once in a while.

Well, maybe you just haven't found the right chip... :rolleyes:

I have no problem with how you feel on the topic. Your feelings are yours, and you have every right to them.

However, many people feel differently. As many have already stated, there are aspects of sex(connection with the partner, one and another's bodies, mysteries of life, etc) that many do find deeply spiritual.

Its okay that you don't get that from it. But some really do. Not all come from the same strict Abrahamic background, and are allowed to approach sexuality differently. Perhaps this isn't what's compatible for you, but it is out there, and is legitimate.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
sex is a physical act that is engaged in to gratify the desires of the flesh in order to experience physical pleasure.
Not true. Sometimes in a relationship, one person takes care of the other without any physical gratification for themself. Intimacy in these cases is all about the other person, and has nothing to do with physical pleasure. The one who is providing, without physical gratification, is experiencing the spiritual dimension of sex.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A woman needs to feel safe and loved in order to desire sex (usually).

A man needs sex in order to feel safe, loved and desired.

Both POVs are Holy and Blessed.