• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for some interesting book suggestions?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow book-lovers!

I hope you are enjoying your time here on the forum today as we speak.

I found this reading list for anyone who is on the look-out for a book or two to read.

Most were new to me so I can't vouch for the quality but they sure do sound worthy of a read or two!

Here's a taste -

I’ve always devoured books. Why, exactly, I’m not sure. Obviously a big reason to read is because it’s fun. As Petrarch, a famous book lover observed some 700 years ago, “books give delight to the very marrow of one’s bones.” But if I was honest, I would say the real reason that I’ve spent so much time with my nose inside this book or that book is because I have been searching for something: a way to life. There is a Latin expression: liber medicina animi (a book is the soul’s medicine). That’s what I’ve been after.

My whole life and career, I’ve been seeking out, reading, and taking notes on books that can teach me things. How to live. How to learn. How to find happiness. How to understand the past. How to prepare for the future. How to succeed. How to manage relationships. How to be a good person.

Books To Base Your Life on (The Reading List) - RyanHoliday.net

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

:)

anna.

but mostly it's the same
The only two books on the list I've read are Hamlet and Rules for Radicals. Kind of a nice match. : )

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I've read only a few from that list, so thanks for the ideas!

Here are a few more suggestions. Some are because of the ideas, some are because of the quality of writing. I'll try to avoid (I hope), some of the more obvious choices:

The Gone-away world, Harkaway: I'm only 100 pages in, but this is some of the most delicious writing I've encountered in a looooong time.

Hyperion, Simmons

Sometimes a Great Notion, Kesey

I am a Strange Loop, Hofstadter (amazing ideas)

Confederate General from Big Sur, Brautigan (Trout fishing in America, a close second)

Electric Kool-aid Acid Test, Wolfe

My Ten Years in a Quandary, Benchley (amazing how office life hasn't changed in 100 years)

Illusions, Bach

Crack in the Cosmic Egg, Pearce (ideas)

Tao Te Ching, Wilhelm translation

Touching the Void, Simpson

Information Anxiety, Wurman (ideas)

Design of Everyday Things, Norman (ideas)

Be Here Now, Ram Dass

that's a start, HNY !

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I've read only a few from that list, so thanks for the ideas!

Here are a few more suggestions. Some are because of the ideas, some are because of the quality of writing. I'll try to avoid (I hope), some of the more obvious choices:

The Gone-away world, Harkaway: I'm only 100 pages in, but this is some of the most delicious writing I've encountered in a looooong time.

Hyperion, Simmons

Sometimes a Great Notion, Kesey

I am a Strange Loop, Hofstadter (amazing ideas)

Confederate General from Big Sur, Brautigan (Trout fishing in America, a close second)

Electric Kool-aid Acid Test, Wolfe

My Ten Years in a Quandary, Benchley (amazing how office life hasn't changed in 100 years)

Illusions, Bach

Crack in the Cosmic Egg, Pearce (ideas)

Tao Te Ching, Wilhelm translation

Touching the Void, Simpson

Information Anxiety, Wurman (ideas)

Design of Everyday Things, Norman (ideas)

Be Here Now, Ram Dass

that's a start, HNY !
Touching the Void by Joe Simpson and Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell are two must read books for those interested in the abilities of humans to endure and persevere against almost impossible odds. I had the pleasure of attending a lecture by Joe when he described his 'journey' and of course have read the book.