1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for Home and Identity

Discussion in 'Are you new to ReligiousForums.com?' started by littlefire, Mar 15, 2017.

1. littlefire

littlefire You can call me Fio

Ratings:
    +46
    Religion:
    Applied love without a clear theoretical basis
    Howdy y'all,

I've only been surfing this site for 30 minutes and I'm already hooked. I'm littlefire and I'm a 21 year old formerly homeschooled German-Irish-Dutch-American bigender lesbian recovering-fundamentalist-evangelical-Southern-Baptist craving a new framework for my spirituality. Years of emotional and religious abuse (plus a few mental illnesses) have left me really disconnected from my family and former associates in churches and para-church organizations (and I was REALLY invested in biblical literalism, evangelism, and complementarianism, among other things), but escaping that environment and discovering parts of my identity that I wasn't allowed to touch before have helped me move past fear of hellfire and consider other religious traditions that can nourish my soul without crushing it and beating it into submission. I can't go into a church service anymore without having an emotional breakdown, and I dabbled in Quakerism for almost a year, but that still had too many Christian ties for me that neglected so much of the breadth of spiritual wisdom out there. I've started reading the Talmud and Bhagavad Gita and stumbled across Deanism via internet search, but I'm finding that I don't completely resonate with any one tradition. My background has scared me out of "buffet-style" religion, but I'm hoping that in this forum I'll gain the freedom and reassurance to find my own path.

I know this is a really really long intro and I apologize...
    I gotta ask a question too though - are there any people/forums on here that discuss spiritual gender non-conformity and/or spiritual naming? (I'm in a transitional/coming-out/weird period with my gender and am hoping to continue my journey of fully integrating that part of myself.)

ANYhoo.... thanks for reading this long crazy thing, and I look forward to meeting you all <3 Blessings!

-littlefire

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Quagmire

Quagmire Imaginary talking monkey
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,680
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
  3. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,018
    Religion:
    Love
    Welcome to RF. I hope you find what you are looking for

4. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,691
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Welcome, Littlefire.

5. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +15,419
    Welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mauricius Modestus

Mauricius Modestus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +915
    Religion:
    Traditional Stoicism, exploring Roman Paganism
    Peace, LittleFire. Though I don't understand what you've gone through, I feel glad to know you made it. You're very brave for that. I think it's wonderful that you're on your own search for truth! It is rough, believe me, but also very much worth it! I hope you find a path which speaks to your heart. :praying:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. littlefire

littlefire You can call me Fio

Ratings:
    +46
    Religion:
    Applied love without a clear theoretical basis
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Mauricius Modestus

Mauricius Modestus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +915
    Religion:
    Traditional Stoicism, exploring Roman Paganism
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Patience

Patience Let us dance with the wind and sing with the birds

Ratings:
    +25
    Religion:
    Mystic Panentheist
    @littlefire , welcome to the forum! Reading through your post, I relate to you a lot. I was also homeschooled, and went through some spiritual and emotional abuse too, and really relate to what you said about going to churches too, that's tough. I hope you find what you are seeking, and I am glad you joined the forum!

• Like Like x 1
  10. psychoslice

psychoslice Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,136
    Religion:
    my own religion
    Welcome sister darling:).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +8,207
    Religion:
    Advaitist Sanātan Hindu and a strong atheist.
    Welcome to the forum and keep searching for your way. I just like to mention that it is not necessary in Hinduism to consider BhagawatGita as God-revealed. It is a book of wisdom and you can choose from it what you like (we do not believe in crushing the soul). It is a seemingly simple but really a deep book. You get to know it after repeated readings. However, we (among Hindus) another set of beautiful books - the Upanishads (Upanishads - Wikipedia), particularly what are known as main/oldest Upanishads (Mukhya). They are concise books and contain the wisdom of Hinduism (There are translations of the Mukhya upanishads and these are not heavy tomes, 200 pages or so will have translations of the major 10). One Upanishad (Ishavasya) has just 19 verses. I would suggest that you see them too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FunctionalAtheist

FunctionalAtheist Hammer of Reason

Ratings:
    +330
    I believe there are many discussions here that will be of particular interest to you, though I'm not exactly sure where to point you as my interests are elsewhere. What I do know about any seeker, if you persevere, you will find!!! This is a great place to both seek and find.

I recall ages 15, 18, 21, 24, etc. and i recall torment, missery, misunderstanding etc., etc., etc., and today it seems like I never really had any problems, just viewing the world as if it were against me. Hard to explain. But as the years pass, you will learn and grow. And finding this forum, and reaching out the way you have here or elsewehere, I'm sure you wil find your peace of mind as I have.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tabu

Tabu Active Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Religion:
    BrahmaKumari Spirituality Walker
    Om Shanti
    Welcome to RF, Hope you find soulFuLLL nourishment here.
    From what I could make out from your question about gender of the Spirit.
    Brahma Kumari belief is that the spirit/soul has no gender because it is a point of incorporeal and spiritual energy , and has been on a long journey where it has played many human roles of both the genders.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +44,002
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Greetings!

You joined just in time for the new upgraded free RF breakfast buffet.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. allfoak

allfoak Alchemist

Ratings:
    +1,620
    Religion:
    My Life
    Welcome
    It is people like yourself that keeps me coming back here.
    There is nothing to fear.
    When i ventured out from my Christian roots i held onto this one idea.
    God would never condemn someone who is honestly searching for the truth.
    Know thyself.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. DawudTalut

DawudTalut Peace be upon you.

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Religion:
    Islam DIR
    Peace be on you. Welcome.

• Like Like x 1