• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for feedback on this interview with Russell Gmirkin

LAGoff

It's a 2 hr interview, so if you want you can skip to the part that most interested me, that starts at 53:00.
Russell Gmirkin is being interviewed. He is a scholar who writes books about how the Tanakh is [to a large extent] a recent 'production' (cf. biblical minimalism; aka, the Copenhagen School)
My feeling upon listening to this (especially from the 53 minute mark) is what can be called 'red-pilled'. (a Matrix reference)
I have been exposed to this biblical minimalism before, but this interview became so provocative at the 53 minute mark (thanks in large part to pertinent comments and questions from Gmirkin's interviewers here from the 53 minute mark) that it 'forever' changed my perspective; so I felt impelled to share it and want feedback from other observant Jews.
There are about 10 interviews with Gmirkin on YouTube

From Russell Gmirkin - Wikipedia: "... the Pentateuch was written in its entirety by a team of Jewish scholars working in the Library of Alexandria in 273-272 BCE, who also published the Septuagint Greek translation of the Torah around the same time."

From the end of Gmirkin's book (Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible): "The Torah and the Hebrew Bible -- understood as ancient literary implementations of the program found in Plato's 'Laws' -- demonstrate how extraordinarily successful Plato's legislative and literary strategies for nation building were when applied to the real world." ('real world' means Judaism, Christianity and Islam.)

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
"Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible"?

I truly do not understand why it can never be the opposite. It always must be that the Jews copied all of their stuff from other sources. Jews of old never had an original thought. Every festival, every holy text, every song, every ritual - all copied. It simply amazes me. All ancient people can do original things, but Jews cannot.

When I'll have the time, bli neder, perhaps I'll watch some of the video.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I have been exposed to this biblical minimalism before, but this interview became so provocative around 53 minutes (thanks in large part to Gmirkin's interviewers) that it 'forever' changed my perspective; so I felt impelled to share it and want feedback from other observant Jews.
I'm sorry that you will never get back the time you spent on this. Rather than sentence us to to same regret, how about you summarize in your own words Gmirkin's arguments and then tell us why you were so affected by them.

LAGoff

I'm sorry that you will never get back the time you spent on this. Rather than sentence us to to same regret, how about you summarize in your own words Gmirkin's arguments and then tell us why you were so affected by them.

Too lazy, but I added an edit to my OP that says:

From Russell Gmirkin - Wikipedia: "... the Pentateuch was written in its entirety by a team of Jewish scholars working in the Library of Alexandria in 273-272 BCE, who also published the Septuagint Greek translation of the Torah around the same time."

From the end of Gmirkin's book (Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible): "The Torah and the Hebrew Bible -- understood as ancient literary implementations of the program found in Plato's 'Laws' -- demonstrate how extraordinarily successful Plato's legislative and literary strategies for nation building were when applied to the real world." ('real world' means Judaism, Christianity and Islam.)

LAGoff

"Plato and the Creation of the Hebrew Bible"?

I truly do not understand why it can never be the opposite. It always must be that the Jews copied all of their stuff from other sources. Jews of old never had an original thought. Every festival, every holy text, every song, every ritual - all copied. It simply amazes me. All ancient people can do original things, but Jews cannot.

When I'll have the time, bli neder, perhaps I'll watch some of the video.

Gmirkin bemoans that it has been (and still is) widely accepted that 'Moses', the Tora, the Hebrew Scriptures influenced Plato and other Greek authors.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Gmirkin bemoans that it has been (and still is) widely accepted that 'Moses', the Tora, the Hebrew Scriptures influenced Plato and other Greek authors.
Yeah, I realize that. Which is why I'm constantly astounded.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Still haven't listened, but:
One wonders why their are quite a number of details in the Torah that do not line up with the 3rd century BCE Middle East and on the other hand, details that line up with findings from older eras. Did the Library contain enough exact information about the ancient world? I suppose we'll never know 'cause it was burned down.
I spent a considerable amount of time last summer looking at Plato's writings. While there are similarities between Plato and Torah (and when I say Torah, I mean the whole Torah, not just the Pentateuch), there are also many key differences. Does Gmirkin have a good explanation for the differences?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Too lazy, but I added an edit to my OP that says:

Why do you find Gmirkin any more compelling than any of the other folk out there pedalling peculiar theories?

LAGoff

Still haven't listened, but:

One wonders why their are quite a number of details in the Torah that do not line up with the 3rd century BCE Middle East and on the other hand, details that line up with findings from older eras. Did the Library contain enough exact information about the ancient world? I suppose we'll never know 'cause it was burned down.

I spent a considerable amount of time last summer looking at Plato's writings. While there are similarities between Plato and Torah (and when I say Torah, I mean the whole Torah, not just the Pentateuch), there are also many key differences. Does Gmirkin have a good explanation for the differences?

I recall he said something about how Plato counseled in his 'Laws' (or perhaps in the 'Republic') that any nation that attempts to implement his program should keep the old laws. I think Gmirkin (or Wajdenbaum 2016, see below) said that most of the laws in the Tora are actually not new. (c. 270 BCE) I suppose along with these old laws, there were -- of course -- old stories to be kept also, as per Plato's advice. These old stories and the new stories were to be authored / redacted by any future Plato-influenced author(s) / redactor(s).

My 'red-pilling' in listening to the above video (especially from 53 minutes on) occurred with how he -- with the help of the interviewers -- so clearly matched-up Plato's program (found in 'Laws' and the Republic, and Timaeus I think) with the 'program' (The Tora, etc.) I am involved with.

I later (just today) read a short (14 page) 2016 synopsis of this subject (that can be read on the internet and downloaded) called 'From Plato to Moses: Genesis-Kings as a Platonic Epic' by Wajdenbaum. Wajdenbaum and Gmirkin are protege's of Thomas Thompson, a pioneer of later ('Hellenistic') dating. I actually read Thompson's book (1999) about 18 years ago, but it took YouTube video's with Gmirkin to make a 'red-pill' connection between Plato's 'Laws', 'Republic', Critias, and 'Timaeus' (I think) and the only successful implementation of Plato's program (Judaism-- and by extension, Christianity and Islam)

Part 2 (II) of this (Biblical Interpretation Beyond Historicity: Changing Perspectives 7 - Google Books) collection of essays edited by Thomas Thompson has contributions from Lemche, Gmirkin, Wajdenbaum, and Muller. Lemche (1993) was the first to seriously propose that the OT is a Hellenistic (post-death of Alexander the Great) book that "creat[ed] an authoritative canon of laws and associated literature, drawing on earlier traditions, and presenting them as being divinely inspired and very ancient."

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a 2 hr interview, so if you want you can skip to the part that most interested me, that starts at 53:00.
Russell Gmirkin is being interviewed. He is a scholar who writes books about how the Tanakh is [to a large extent] a recent 'production' (cf. biblical minimalism; aka, the Copenhagen School)
My feeling upon listening to this (especially from the 53 minute mark) is what can be called 'red-pilled'. (a Matrix reference)
I have been exposed to this biblical minimalism before, but this interview became so provocative at the 53 minute mark (thanks in large part to pertinent comments and questions from Gmirkin's interviewers here from the 53 minute mark) that it 'forever' changed my perspective; so I felt impelled to share it and want feedback from other observant Jews.
There are about 10 interviews with Gmirkin on YouTube

Well, I finally got around to watching the video, except now it's no longer accessible. I'm now looking at some other interviews with him. I'll be frank, it's an eye-roll for me. The word parallelomania comes to mind.

Edit: I found a link to download it on SOTT's site, so I'll chip my way through it. But based on what I've heard so far, I doubt I'll have significantly different conclusions.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@LAGoff, well, I just finished listening to it. Below will be my thoughts on the interview. Before that, though, I'll say that I was incredibly unimpressed, to say the least, with the folks of SOTT who did the interview. It is clear they lacked a lot of knowledge in the fields of history, were not particularly knowledgeable in the works of Plato - not even the central ones most touted by Gmirkin, and in general, lacked an understanding of how literary parallels work. One example, of the third thing, is that early on, the woman there said that one time she read the story of David and Goliath, and was suddenly struck with the realization that that story is basically Perseus and Medusa. Why? Well:

a. Medusa could turn people into stone, and David put stones into his pouch.
b. Perseus cut off Medusa's head and put it into his pouch, and David had a pouch and cut off Goliath's head, but didn't put it into his pouch.

*groan...*

Gmirkin nodded along with all of their crazy suggestions, but I don't know if he did that to be polite or because he actually agreed with them.

Now for my thoughts (note that the seconds aren't exact; I heard an idea, wrote my reaction, and then guessed how many seconds ago prior the idea had been said, more or less. Secondly, the quotes aren't always exact):

14:55 - "Lots of Greek parallels, especially in the David stories" - no duh, the Plishtim were of Mycenaean Greek origins.

34:40 - "In Yev they swore by [Hashem] and Beth-Anath" - Actually, no. That view stems from the fact that Yadaniah, one of the high ranking military officials there ordered worship supplies both for Hashem and Anat. And we know there were also Aramean soldiers stationed in the colony. Hence the need to stock up on supplies for them.

35:08 - "They [the people of Yev (Elephantine)] asked the people of Jerusalem: Can we have another [temple]? And they said sure." - Oh, really? And where is this purported letter? Because as far as I'm aware, the people of Jerusalem never replied to any of their requests for assistance with rebuilding the temple in Yev.

38:28 - I reject his comparison of Genesis 1 and the Timaeus. Timaeus - and it is highly unclear whether Plato actually agreed with his views - describes a crafting deity, not a creator. Genesis is clear on the creation part - בראשית ברא etc. Furthermore, you don't find the creation of a demiurge nor of lesser maker-deities in Genesis, as you find in the Timaeus.

43:50 - "David, that's legend" - hmmm. I have one certain mention and one possible mention of the House of David on ancient stelae that say otherwise.

43:52 - "The biblical authors don't even cite any sources for those [the "legends" from David and back]" - Books by Natan and Gad are attested in Chronicles. Multiple royal histories are mentioned. Any of this ringing a bell?

49:30 - "Haggai is a collection of oracles from around 515 BCE when they were given permission to rebuild the Temple." - Chaggai is ancient but the rest isn't? Huh? Per his logic, based on what?

1:03:39 - "They were creating a theocracy, which is something Plato invented, ruled not by a king but by a god." - So why make mention of the kings? Why include a law for a king? As Gmirkin stated, Plato thought it would only take a generation for people to forget their true history. Why bother including anything that contradicts this theocratic concept?

1:05:00-18 - "Absolutely horrifying that the only people who took Plato's social engineering seriously and successfully implemented it were the Jews...it's alright as long as they don't have a country...and they didn't have one for 2000 years" - comments from the interviewers, with agreement from Gmirkin - okay, a. Antisemitic. b. While we didn't have a country for nearly 2000 years, we did have one during the Hasmonean period, which was still after this purported date of the "invention" of the Bible, so perhaps you people should learn some history instead of spouting so much psycho-babble.

1:34:00 - "Around 270 BCE...The Jews and the Samaritans were working together on this [the Torah] in Alexandria" - Both the Talmud and Josephus record that the big split between the Jews and the Samaritans happened when Alexander conquered Judea, decades prior. So what's Gmirkin's evidence that the Jews and the Samaritans worked together in Alexandria? Edit: 1:39:35 - "we know this because the Torah has all sorts of mentions of Gerizzim but doesn't really mention Jerusalem." - And yet, Gerizzim is not mentioned ever as a place of worship. And this still doesn't explain Jerusalem's lack of prominence. Moreover, it doesn't explain why a later edit/redaction of the text, post-split between the Jews and the Samaritans, is non-existent. He claims that the split happened within ten years of the Alexandria project - still early enough in the stage to re-edit everything. Why was that not done?

1:37:29 - "You almost have to erase the memory of the history of these people" - Right, here the real conspiracy begins. How do you erase the entire collective national memory of millions of people dispersed all over the Levant and North Africa?

1:38:40 - "The people who wrote the Bible were demoted to translators...they were kind of erased from history" - So now we have a second conspiracy, that a second group of elders took the new text authored in Alexandria and wiped the signatures of the authors? And you have evidence of this? Oh please, do tell.

General questions:

1. Where are the Greek words? Why can we see an evolution of Hebrew within the texts - an evolution attested by archeological findings - but never find Greek lingual influence? Why are there no Greek words in the bible?

2. Rather than going to war with Antiochus, wouldn't it have been more simple to just explain to the man that Judaism, too, stems from Greek thought? And then they could have fought things out in a philosophical debate?

3. At some point he states that it is impossible that the Jews could have influenced the Greeks because they hadn't yet been in contact. This is false. Yoel (4:6) hints at Jews being sold into slavery in Greece. But more than that, Plato and other Greeks traveled to Egypt and Persia and other countries decades after the two exiles (Assyria and Babylon), meaning places where there were prominent Jewish communities.

4. Gmirkin finds parallels between Plato's utopian Republic "colony" and the Jewish sages who supposedly invented the Bible. And yet, question: The Jews at the time were not in control of themselves. Moreover, they were dispersed all over the Greek empire, which at the time was divided between four Greco-Macedonian governments. How were they able to force this new text and these new rules onto almost the whole of the Jewish people and in just a mere century or so (onset of the Hasmonean Wars)? Again, he states that the Jews were trying to form a theocracy. If one generation is what's needed to build a brainwashed colony, why did it take them 2.5-5 generations (depending how you number them) to rebel? The "big vision" remained unacted upon for ages. Why?

5. I'm confused as to how Gmirkin explains the huge differences between Judaism and Platonism. Great, you have similarities. How do you explain the differences? Say, they wanted to preserve some old traditions. a. Why? b. They were anyway implementing Plato's social engineering-brainwashing techniques; why not go through with the whole nine yards?

6. Gmirkin believes that all ancient details in the Bible came from ancient traditions. Really, now. We could make lists upon lists of tiny details that match archeological findings that no one would really care to think were significant to these Alexandrian scholars - and yet somehow they thought to include these things? Take for example the Dead Sea. A study by Prof. Amos Frumkin and Rabbi Dr. Yoel Elitzur shows that the eras of the rising and lowering of the water levels in the Dead Sea are parallel to the varying descriptions in the Bible. However, without modern scientific methods at your disposal, you'd have to be centuries old to be aware of this occurrence of the changing water level in the DS. Why would they think to include such stuff that seemingly had no grounding in the geographical reality as they knew it?

On a final note, I was sorely unimpressed with Gmirkin. He came across as a conspiracy theorist. However, in many ways, he is not too different from many other Minimalistic Bible Critics, who oftentimes push theories that are blatantly disconnected from archeological reality.

LAGoff

Thanks. You make great points.
I am woefully ignorant of Plato. I skimmed through his 'Laws' and haven't actually read the Republic (although I have a copy and plan to) or Timaeus.
I plan to comment more when I have read (skimmed) all three. (can you suggest more [from Plato]?)
My motivation to post here was my reawakening to the fact that there are almost no biblical verses or other related evidences / writings of a biblically-based (text-based) sovereign or vassal kingdom/people in that area found before the Septuagint (c. 270 BCE); and that humans are notorious for following sheepishly and very quickly the Story set up by the alpha-male(s); and that I would like to find a story [already!] to put all this into some secular context, even though I am and will untill I die identify most strongly -- in regard to tradition and observance -- with the Orthodox; and finally, that I am not a scholar and don't have the temperament and so am easily persuaded by a good story since I find it painful, tedious, and toilsome to hack through original texts (except the Tanakh)... which brings me to one point you made about Braysheet bara Elokim.... You do know that very influential (and traditional) commentaries follow "Braysheet BRO Elokim... va-yehi or."? This way of seeing it can mean that God 'created' (formed, like He did with ha-Adam in ch. 2) from a pre-existing substance. (i.e. not creation ex-nihilo); although after immersing oneself traditionally in Tanakh for years, one naturally comes to the conclusion that our God is not co-eternal with that which he 'formed'. It seems it takes 'chosen-ness' (from an actual Living God) and immersion in Tora from birth to escape the inexorable (Logical) pull of the other view.

If you don't mind, can you tell me what you think of Tanakh's historicity? and your timeline of the origins and development of what 'really' happened?

And thanks again for taking the time to properly respond to my question.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
(can you suggest more [from Plato]?)
I myself haven't read all of his works, but a couple of the shorter and better works are Meno and Euthyphro.
My motivation to post here was my reawakening to the fact that there are almost no biblical verses or other related evidences / writings of a biblically-based (text-based) sovereign or vassal kingdom/people in that area found before the Septuagint (c. 270 BCE)
I believe this is not true. While we have yet to find evidence for the keeping of various mitzvot, we have evidence of other ones. Kosher animal bones near altars, destroyed bamot corresponding to the times of Chizkiyahu and Yoshiyahu (who notably worked to destroy the bamot and remove idolatry) and so forth. Furthermore, I believe I once read about an archeologist (can remember who, but I'm pretty sure he's well-known) who stated that about 90% of possible archeological findings in Israel have yet to be found. We have a lot of work to do...
Braysheet BRO Elokim... va-yehi or
I don't understand your pronunciation emphasis.
This way of seeing it can mean that God 'created' (formed, like He did with ha-Adam in ch. 2) from a pre-existing substance. (i.e. not creation ex-nihilo);
I have heard of such interpretations, few as they are and illogical as they may seem, much like there were corporealists in the past. Nonetheless, these are minority views. But even so, read Timaeus and compare it to Beresheet. It's really inherently different.
to escape the inexorable (Logical) pull of the other view.
What's logical about infinite matter? Can you grasp infinity? No, you can't. None of us can.
If you don't mind, can you tell me what you think of Tanakh's historicity?
Yes, it's very historical. Anything specific you want to know?
and your timeline of the origins and development of what 'really' happened?
What do you mean?
And thanks again for taking the time to properly respond to my question.
You're welcome.