• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a new faith!

I took the wrong test since I couldn't get the right one to work. You might want to try the wrong religion for the same reason:

You are . .
Hedonism
Hedonism is the philosophy that meaning can be found in happiness. But, the original hedonists weren't exactly talking about rolling in chocolate and having wild parties. They were looking for things that elevated a person to true happiness. While we think of hedonism as indulgence, one of its greatest philosophers, Epicurus, thought that moderation was the key to happiness.

What Philosophy Am I?

All that matters is achieving long term and lasting pleasure and happiness for as long as possible or infinitely and avoiding or eliminating all displeasure and suffering as much as possible.

I sound like a d*ck. Yes. A duck.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I believe in one God, who is completely perfect in every way and is imminent both out and inside of creation. I believe that everyone will be saved and that the religious life fundamentally comes from purifying the heart.

What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?
I already like your religion

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The Wikipedia entry of them sure says they are nice! I haven't checked out UU at all so dunno what it is about.

UUism is basically post-Christian, very theologically diverse and progressive. Much more focused on how you live/make a positive difference in the world than what you believe.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
UUism is basically post-Christian, very theologically diverse and progressive. Much more focused on how you live/make a positive difference in the world than what you believe.

That is interesting. For some reason the test thinks that I want to do good in the world XD

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I can't imagine any religious group ever satisfying me at all, I can scarcely look at people, let alone wanting to be around a whole bunch of them.

One at a time is fine. I tried talking to two people at once, and they got angry because I could only treat them like crap in private and they didn't like being treated like crap in front of another person.

My religion is a selfie, so no group involvement required. But, TBH, nearly any religion can be practiced in this way so if the group dynamic is a problem eliminate it. Of course, you don't need a religion at all if that's what suits you.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I always viewed UU as a sort of revision of Christianity that was willing to tolerate other faiths to suck them in. Anyone that goes to UU long enough becomes a Christian since that's where the bulk of their teachings are. FOMO or something... Anyway, never was really drawn to it even my pagan-y moments because it seemed that it was just Christianity in a new dress.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I always viewed UU as a sort of revision of Christianity that was willing to tolerate other faiths to suck them in. Anyone that goes to UU long enough becomes a Christian since that's where the bulk of their teachings are. FOMO or something... Anyway, never was really drawn to it even my pagan-y moments because it seemed that it was just Christianity in a new dress.

That's not been my experience with UUs. Almost none of the UUs I've personally met identify as Christian. Many of them were raised Christian, but so were most Americans just generally.

My religion is a selfie, so no group involvement required. But, TBH, nearly any religion can be practiced in this way so if the group dynamic is a problem eliminate it. Of course, you don't need a religion at all if that's what suits you.
I think the original poster is looking for a group, I'm definitely not because I can't get along with group dynamics.

JeremK

Full disclosure (and to once again address a lot of the question here), I am looking for a group. I was raised Unitarian Universalist, but the only problem I have with them nowadays is just that I believe in God whereas most of my UU friends do not. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm looking for a place that will be a bit more spiritually affirming for me personally- perhaps, in addition to returning to UUism, for I miss it dearly.

On the one hand, in the eternal sense... no, I'm not gaining much of anything. From my perspective, I could be completely without religion for my entire life and still get to Heaven. But, I long for the friendships that I used to have as a teenager, which I'm now completely without. Being a fundamentalist Catholic was very isolating for me, and I'd like to actually get out and help the world while simultaneously having friends I can talk to without thinking they're insane deep down as I tend to think most Catholics are. I'm a social person, and I like to be social. I have a lot to say to other people about life, and a lot to hear from them, but I've been missing this for quite some time. Traditionalist Catholicism was like Hell: deep self-isolation from my friends and family, deep egoism, intense sadness, and stress over separation from God.

I am a very liberal person, perhaps in response to the rabid conservatism that I held for about a year. But I'm looking for something a bit meatier than UUism in terms of spirituality. I think the only waste of time would probably be investigating each individual truth claim of each religion, which would take forever and not be very productive at all. And, yes, I know that faith is ultimately a suspension of reason. But I have tried to use reason to get where I am now. It was reason that drew me away from traditional Catholicism, and it was learning philosophy that drew me away from the nihilistic atheism I had before I became Catholic. If I didn't believe what I was doing was reasonable, then I wouldn't be doing it! :) Once again, no insults meant to our atheist friends whatsoever, but I personally found the arguments for God quite convincing- though I certainly still doubt at times. Reason does not lead us to one single conclusion, and nor does faith.

Maybe I will find a normal Unitarian Church, or something of the like. I like Bahaism, Sikhi, Hinduism, Taoism, and so many different religions in between, however. Quakers may be a good choice too.

They would've been the Calvinist evolution into Islam but at this point the Unitarian Universalists seem to not make mention of much Christian stuff and many people have taken to using it as a big and easy "whatever" to indicate one is spiritual or religious but not really practicing anything in particular or following any particular set of rules. I guess in that way, a lot of us are Unitarian Universalists without realizing it. Maybe its similar to being a human being.

Does anyone know if there are any qualifiers or disqualifying things to be one? If not, then its like saying nothing at all.

rrobs

I'm a former fundamentalist Christian who deconverted because of issues that relate specifically to Christianity: an eternal Hell, lack of evidence for the resurrection, the trinity not making sense, rigidness and conspiracies, and so on. I believe in one God, who is completely perfect in every way and is imminent both out and inside of creation. I believe that everyone will be saved and that the religious life fundamentally comes from purifying the heart. What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?
Eternal hell? That's what the churches say, but what do the scriptures actually say? First of all, virtually every time the English word "hell" is used it is actually the Hebrew or Greek word for "grave." That's where people go when they die (they didn't cremate back then).

Revelation does talk about a lake of fire. Rev 20:15 specifically says hell will be cast into the lake of fire. Hmmm, I wonder what would happen to something that was thrown into a lake of fire. Oh, I know, it would burn up! Verse 14 even says that this was the second death. It doesn't take long to determine from the scriptures that when one is dead there are no thoughts or consciousness let alone eternal torment. God has no interest in doing that to anyone. Only a petty man made god might do that.

The trinity? Insanity to the max! I don't blame you one bit for being against it. Statistically, 98.6% of Christians buy into that damnable heresy. Why anyone has trouble with one really being one is beyond me. Suffice it to say, the scriptures declare that God is God and Jesus is his son. In what world can a son be his own father? Like I said, it's insanity.

It sounds like you may be the victim of tradition.

Matt 15:6,

And honour not his father or his mother, [he shall be free]. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Tradition makes God's word of no effect.

I think it also worth noting that Paul told Timothy that everyone in Asia (the known world at that time) had turned against him (2 Tim 1:15). Let that sink in. The things Paul taught were hijacked by people who infiltrated the church and began teaching lies. Now, let me ask you this; did the orthodox church ever return to the truth of what Paul taught? If so, who and when?

The sad truth is that, by and large, the orthodox church never got it back. They taught lie upon lie, e.g the trinity, until it became so ingrained in the people that they killed tens of thousands of believers who refused to accept the pagan doctrines of the false church. Any elementary book on church history will confirm what I'm saying.

It is not hard to trace church history and find out that the Roman Catholics became the substitute for truth. And the protestants aren't much different. They all teach Jesus is God and that those who don't believe it will suffer eternal torment by fire.

You are looking for a new religion. Might I suggest that all religions are man made. The truth is in God's word, the scriptures. It is not found in any religion. I might further suggest you begin a study of God's word without any preconceived ideas that the church may have given you. Actually, I'm certain they have filled your mind with tradition and not truth. That's what they do!

If you are still open to the scriptures and nothing but the scriptures, you might have look at these guys: Home | The Living Truth Fellowship
I'm not suggesting that they are right and everybody else is wrong, but they do respect the scriptures way more than the orthodox church which holds tradition as their standard of faith and practice. Spend some time there and you'll get a radically different view on many points of doctrine, one that I think you would find much more closely aligned with the Bible.

Take care...

Eternal hell? That's what the churches say, but what do the scriptures actually say? First of all, virtually every time the English word "hell" is used it is actually the Hebrew or Greek word for "grave." That's where people go when they die (they didn't cremate back then).

Revelation does talk about a lake of fire. Rev 20:15 specifically says hell will be cast into the lake of fire. Hmmm, I wonder what would happen to something that was thrown into a lake of fire. Oh, I know, it would burn up! Verse 14 even says that this was the second death. It doesn't take long to determine from the scriptures that when one is dead there are no thoughts or consciousness let alone eternal torment. God has no interest in doing that to anyone. Only a petty man made god might do that.

The trinity? Insanity to the max! I don't blame you one bit for being against it. Statistically, 98.6% of Christians buy into that damnable heresy. Why anyone has trouble with one really being one is beyond me. Suffice it to say, the scriptures declare that God is God and Jesus is his son. In what world can a son be his own father? Like I said, it's insanity.

It sounds like you may be the victim of tradition.

Matt 15:6,

And honour not his father or his mother, [he shall be free]. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Tradition makes God's word of no effect.

I think it also worth noting that Paul told Timothy that everyone in Asia (the known world at that time) had turned against him (2 Tim 1:15). Let that sink in. The things Paul taught were hijacked by people who infiltrated the church and began teaching lies. Now, let me ask you this; did the orthodox church ever return to the truth of what Paul taught? If so, who and when?

The sad truth is that, by and large, the orthodox church never got it back. They taught lie upon lie, e.g the trinity, until it became so ingrained in the people that they killed tens of thousands of believers who refused to accept the pagan doctrines of the false church. Any elementary book on church history will confirm what I'm saying.

It is not hard to trace church history and find out that the Roman Catholics became the substitute for truth. And the protestants aren't much different. They all teach Jesus is God and that those who don't believe it will suffer eternal torment by fire.

You are looking for a new religion. Might I suggest that all religions are man made. The truth is in God's word, the scriptures. It is not found in any religion. I might further suggest you begin a study of God's word without any preconceived ideas that the church may have given you. Actually, I'm certain they have filled your mind with tradition and not truth. That's what they do!

If you are still open to the scriptures and nothing but the scriptures, you might have look at these guys: Home | The Living Truth Fellowship
I'm not suggesting that they are right and everybody else is wrong, but they do respect the scriptures way more than the orthodox church which holds tradition as their standard of faith and practice. Spend some time there and you'll get a radically different view on many points of doctrine, one that I think you would find much more closely aligned with the Bible.

Take care...

Are you a Jehovah's Witness?

No. No denomination.

Oh, interesting. They are inti the "no hell" type idea, even though most people in the past seemed to understand the several references to Gehenna as a reference to a place post-ressurection with ongoing suffering rather than a brief and temporary suffering or second and permanent death. Also, the Sheol or Hades was understood as a place of shades and spirits who Jesus preached to, they were imagined as bodily figures who appeared like themselves but were in another sort of realm under the Earth.

There are scenes in the Bible threatening this place and implying things which early commentators interpreted as ongoing suffering. There is talk of angels throwing people in there, people suffering in such a way as their living death state of constant decay and burning is seemingly continuous. Many people would have been thrilled at the idea of a final annhilation instead of ongoing suffering.

The ongoing suffering idea was almost omnipresent over the world and the various religions East and West as a means of social order and conduct control. The idea that "the worst that could happen is you just never come back to life, or die one more time" was not seemingly the one anyone seemed to derive at the time.

The founder of the Jehovah Witnesses and others around the same period interpreted things in a less literal fashion, which was in vogue during the period when groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses, Spiritists, and Church of Latter Day Saints had popped up and each seemed to shy away from the old-fashioned hell interpretation which the ancient "Church Fathers" as well as Second Temple Jews (some) accepted, based on the popular understanding of Isaiah and how the term Gehenna was being used, adopted full force by the Muslims and their cognate term Jahannam.

rrobs

The idea that "the worst that could happen is you just never come back to life, or die one more time" was not seemingly the one anyone seemed to derive at the time.
All good stuff. When was it settled that death is not really death, but may mean eternal torment? That is an important question.

2 Tim 1:15,

This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.
Paul was one of God's main spokesperson in the New Testament. It was to Paul that God revealed much of what the death and resurrection meant, how it changed things in a radical way. And yet we read that even before Paul died, everyone went their own way. So far 10,000+ denominations and counting. Which one got back to Paul's doctrine?

I think I can say that none that agree with the lie of the devil in Gen 3:4 over the truth of God in Gen 2:17. Every time I hear someone in a eulogy talk about dear recently deceased grandma up in heaven those verses come to mind. There is no reason in the scriptures to think the second death will be any different than the first death. No thoughts, consciousness, pain, joy, no more nothing. But they ain't gonna be with Jesus forever like us!

The question of death, resurrection, and judgment is clearly laid out in the New Testament by Paul. The same with all matters of faith and practice.

rrobs

The idea that "the worst that could happen is you just never come back to life, or die one more time" was not seemingly the one anyone seemed to derive at the time.
All good stuff. When was it settled that death is not really death, but may mean eternal torment? That is an important question.

2 Tim 1:15,

This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.
Paul was one of God's main spokesperson in the New Testament. It was to Paul that God revealed much of what the death and resurrection of Jesus meant, how it changed things in a radical way. And yet we read that even before Paul died, everyone went their own way. So far 10,000+ denominations and counting. Which one got back to Paul's doctrine?

I think I can say that none that agree with the lie of the devil in Gen 3:4 over the truth of God in Gen 2:17. Every time I hear someone in a eulogy talk about dear recently deceased grandma up in heaven those verses come to mind. There is no reason in the scriptures to think the second death will be any different than the first death. No thoughts, consciousness, pain, joy, no more nothing. But they ain't gonna be with Jesus forever like us!

The question of death, resurrection, and judgment is clearly laid out in the New Testament by Paul. The same with all matters of faith and practice.

JeremK

I really want to get far away from Christianity. It's one of the few religions I think is truthfully toxic and evil. Sorry for the polemical tone, but being Christian was the most stressful thing I've ever lived through.

sloth

I'm a former fundamentalist Christian who deconverted because of issues that relate specifically to Christianity: an eternal Hell, lack of evidence for the resurrection, the trinity not making sense, rigidness and conspiracies, and so on. I believe in one God, who is completely perfect in every way and is imminent both out and inside of creation. I believe that everyone will be saved and that the religious life fundamentally comes from purifying the heart. What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?

Why would you believe those things, specifically? A god without those particular traits could not exist?

sloth

How would you define "perfect"?

My religion fits your description so far. I have no reason to convert you.. no reward for spreading the truth other than my own satisfaction. So, I really don't care.

Tell me about what you think a deity would be? Tell me any description, or any traits you may feel are fundamental for a god..

I really want to get far away from Christianity. It's one of the few religions I think is truthfully toxic and evil. Sorry for the polemical tone, but being Christian was the most stressful thing I've ever lived through.
Would you be able to describe why and how? I agree though, I have also heard this from a lot of people.