• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Logo

Pah

Uber all member
That's the name of a new network to debut on cable TV in February. All right pah, what's so special about a new network. "Well", says pah, "it will be an targeted toward the homosexual community".

Set for mostly metro areas (Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco) it will feature gay entertaiment with "authentic representations" of gay life. Given the popularity of Will & Grace, Queer Eye (both Anerican and British) for the Straight Guy, Queer as Folk, and The L Word. I'm sure it will expand till it matches the religious channels.

Do you think so too?

-pah-

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
First it was gay rights and I said "fine, let 'em have gay rights". Then it was gay marriage and I said "fine, let 'em have gay marriage." BUT NOW THEY WANT A GAY NETWORK!??!! That's where I have to draw the line. And here's my reasoning....

(1) A gay network will devalue the traditional networks.

(2) Gays already have the same networks the rest of us do -- they just want something the rest of us don't have, which is a gay network.

(3) No where in the bible does it say that gays should have a network of their own.

(4) A gay network cannot procreate.

These are solid reasons why every right thinking American (and Australian, Swede, etc) will oppose a gay network. Am I wrong? I think not.

Pah

Uber all member
(4) A gay network cannot procreate.

Oh yes it can. Watch for Bravo to "step-up" it's programming if Logo is in any way successful.

But that was really a good post - Frubals for ya!

-pah-

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Oh, dear heavens, Sunstone! My sarcasm filters were off, and for a moment there, I thought 'who is this person pretending to be Sunstone but who obviously isn't?!' (Oh, this cursed flu...)

But then, I must disagree with this...
(3) No where in the bible does it say that gays should have a network of their own.

It does, too! And here I quote from SMUOTS* Bible, from verses 42-12 of Ted's Letters to Bill, "And, dude! There'll be totally kewl networks! Like, with- ya know- programming?! And verily, Megan Mullally will be there."

And it is so!

*Something Made Up On The Spot

Pah

Uber all member
FeathersinHair said:
But then, I must disagree with this...
Quote:
Two down - two to go
-pah-

Lightkeeper

How can anything devalue what is already devalued?:) The blacks have their own network and all of the other networks, so I guess the gays can too. So there.:p I agree with Pah it will procreate beyond our wildest dreams. Traditionally gays have been very creative. Many of our artists, muscians, dancers, actors, authors and poets have been gay. The only difference now is that they are coming out of the closet. We are learning they have a lot to offer and it only makes sense that a creative endeavor like a network will make it big.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
Traditionally gays have been very creative. Many of our artists, muscians, dancers, actors, authors and poets have been gay. The only difference now is that they are coming out of the closet. We are learning they have a lot to offer and it only makes sense that a creative endeavor like a network will make it big.
AH HAH! So there really is a secret gay agenda to creat culture and civilization! Just as I've always thought! I told you we need to keep an eye on these people...and now you know why!:p

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
AH HAH! So there really is a secret gay agenda to creat culture and civilization! Just as I've always thought! I told you we need to keep an eye on these people...and now you know why!:p
Yeah, it appears they are the backbone of society and they don't have osteoporosis.:)

Reactions: Pah

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Speaking somewhat more seriously, Lightkeeper, your point is well taken. I was just sitting here thinking of all that our society today owes to the ancient Greeks -- and the ancient Greeks were notably tolerant of homosexuality. Just to name a three things, we owe them the orgins of the sciences, democracy, and the idea of socially responsible individualism. But I once saw a list made by a Cambridge don that was 200 items long!

When I hear someone say that homosexuality will lead to the downfall of our society, I often enough think of the ancient Greeks and how they were so responsible for the orgins of our society. A people that incorporated homosexuality into their everyday life.

The question is, would a 'gay network' be beneficial or detrimental to the gay community? Would it really give gays a more equal footing in society, or merely promote the common stereotypes?

All I know is that the Men's network, Spike TV, and the black network, BET, only promote stereotypes in our society. They do not empower the groups which they supposedly represent, in fact their programming is quite degrading and, to my mind, insulting to those groups.

Lightkeeper

Mr_Spinkles said:
The question is, would a 'gay network' be beneficial or detrimental to the gay community? Would it really give gays a more equal footing in society, or merely promote the common stereotypes?

All I know is that the Men's network, Spike TV, and the black network, BET, only promote stereotypes in our society. They do not empower the groups which they supposedly represent, in fact their programming is quite degrading and, to my mind, insulting to those groups.
I think the gays will see to it that real life is portrayed. The regular networks are promoting stereotypes now.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Mr_Spinkles said:

I'll admit, I had this worry too when I heard about the proposed gay networks (there are a few that I've heard of - hereTV!, MTV's Logo, and Q Television). There are bound to be the usual stereotypes and inane sitcoms there, but, I hope, also some more 'real' shows too. While 'Queer As Folk' and 'The L Word' don't strike me as that "true to life" (and, upon a quick glance, some might think that 'Queer As Folk' is nothing but men having sex), they do deal with real life issues. I'd like to see more like that, but I guess time will tell which way it all goes.

dolly

Mr_Spinkles said:

And lets not forget Lifetime either. :wink:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I watch very little TV and 90% of what I do watch is either the Weather channel or kid shows (well, I don't watch them, they're on for the kids, really :p ). So I can't say I'd watch much of a gay channel, but I'd be interested in seeing what it has. I did like the L Word.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I lack faith that even very creative people can redeem the nefarious medium of TV. For I think TV by its very nature leads to mediocrity.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
i thought we had bravo?

i dont know. a channel commited to a sexual oreintation is kinda sketchy. maybe the arts, maybe fashion, but not an oreintation. sure its arguable that gay is a lyfestyle, but there are many feminine gays and many masculine gays. im a masculine gay with a passion for the arts.

well we have cartoon network, lifetime for women, USA network...for uh, the US, the Food network...hhehe food.