• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Logical Consistency

Ceridwen018

Logic is a funny thing--we think we've got it down, and then, BAM! Our entire logical process turns itself inside out upon arriving at a completely illogical conclusion. Our brains near the point of meltdown as, cross-eyed, we try and decipher how our perfectly logical premise could result in such irrational bunk.

"This just doesn't make sense!" We exclaim. After all, in what sort of twisted dimension do two positives equal a negative, two rights a wrong? Should not logic beget logic?

The answer, of course, is yes. Logic should beget logic, and it does. If one were to employ perfect logical consistency 100% of the time, they would never have to worry about appearing in court to answer for the misdemeanor given them by the logic police. How then, do I explain the situation above--for I am sure we have all experienced it. Simply stated, the problem with logical thinkers and those who attempt to be logical thinkers lies in the fact that one's 'logical process' is often highly subjective. I'm sure you've probably never weighed the idea of 'subjective logic', however it is quite true. One's 'logical process' is synonymous with their analysis of their perceptions. Because our methods of percieving things, not to mention our methods for analyzing those perceptions, are unique from person to person, the subjectivity is explained.

Given this stark revelation, how can anyone even dream of making an objective statement? How can we be sure of the objectivity, validity, or truth of anything anymore, if it is obvious that it it is the result of singular and exclusive opinion?

Do not despair! The solution is readily found--our confirmation lies in the conclusion! The conclusion of a process is what confirms the value of said methods. We cannot judge the logicity of our argument by the steps we took to arrive to our end, rather, we must apply the end to reality and see how well it stands, or how quickly it falls. A faulty conclusion is undeniable proof that there was an illogical factor present in our process, which should be isolated and removed accordingly.

I have witnessed many who arrive at illogical conclusions, and instead of rejecting them when they don't make sense in the face of reality, try and mesh them into the logical world. They have great conviction in their conclusion, because they have faith in their process. To them and to many, the process seems logical, however it is imperative that we remember--all is ineffectual if it cannot fit in with observable reality.