• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Localized Flood

Muffled

Jesus in me
A small flood is just that: small. It would be too insignificant for cultures around the globe to tell of its cataclysmic nature. It would also be far to shallow to raise any structure to mount Ararat and require the saving of various species in that region from doom.

Also, a small raft would leave exposure to the elements an issue, especially in harsh rain.

I believe too much is made of other flood stories. Floods are common. North Carolina had one recently because of 25 inches of rain dropped by a hurricane.

Muffled

Jesus in me
1. That doesn't exactly work with Biblical chronology.

2. It is clear for a number of reasons that the authors of the Bible picked up the myth during the Babylonian captivity and adapted it to their own ends.

I believe one may call something clear but a lack of evidence does not lend to credibility.

I believe Moses received his information from God. He certainly was not an eyewitness. Now if one could find a similar writing by Abraham, Isaac or Jacob or even Joseph I would agree but I have heard nothing of that sort.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe one may call something clear but a lack of evidence does not lend to credibility.

I believe Moses received his information from God. He certainly was not an eyewitness. Now if one could find a similar writing by Abraham, Isaac or Jacob or even Joseph I would agree but I have heard nothing of that sort.

Since I consider ALL of those figures to be mythical, I'm not expecting anything substantial.

Instead, how about looking at the archeology?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe that is not likely the boat did not have a sail or keel s it had to float with the current and wind patterns. My guess is that it landed somewhere in the mountains of what is now Iran. Wind would push it from the west to the east. Currents would push it from north to south.
So you are claiming a worldwide flood.

There would be evidence of such an event and there is none. A local flood would have been very limited in scope.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe the Gilgamesh flood to be a later flood. 2700 BCE. The Biblical flood comes in around 3800 BCE.
A world wide flood would have collapsed the planet's ecosystem even more effectively than the Chicxulub meteorite. The planet would not have recovered in a mere 6,000 years.

This was only yesterday.
There is evidence of continuous human habitation, of coral and tree growth through this period. No matter where scientists look, or what they look at, there is no evidence of anything unusual having taken place.

I don't recall any such geological information in the Bible. Where are you seeing this?

Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God's Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.

Genesis 1:2

God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:10

before he had made the earth with its fields, or the first of the dust of the world. When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
Proverbs 8:26-27

To him that stretched out the earth above the waters:"
Psalms 136:6

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep were burst open, and the sky's windows were opened. The rain was on the earth forty days and forty nights.

Genesis 7:11-12

A floating continent?

Not floating like ship on water. Floating like heavy item lifted by hydraulic pressure. Water is really good material in hydraulic pressure systems. If can lift really heavy stuff, if water can’t escape, like in the case of the original continent that was stretched above water, as the Bible tells.

The last time Earth had a single land mass was >175 million years ago.

Really, and why do you believe that? Because person in white jacket say so and you have no other choice than believe blindly?

The continents took 175 million years to reach their current configurations. Again, settled humans began appearing only ~10,000 years ago.

Sorry, I don’t believe that. If you ask why, the answer is, because there is no intelligent reason to believe so.

What possible scenario could account for the disappearance of enough water to cover the whole Earth?

Water has not disappeared. Earth has been compressed more, which is why oceans have gotten deeper, resulting in water level to go down. After the flood, lot of organic stuff was flushed to cavities below earth. In compression it has turned into oil and at the same time, it has lowered the level of earth. Other place is the glaciers.

Looncall

Guff? If you think what the Bible tells is guff, please explain why?

The bible is a collection of folk tales, religious and tribal propaganda, and a bit of nifty poetry.

In any case, your nonsense is not found in the bible. It has been cooked up by frauds.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Guff? If you think what the Bible tells is guff, please explain why?
The Bible's inconsistent, contradictory, and often just wrong. You must be aware of this.

Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God's Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.

Genesis 1:2
Nice poetry, but what it's actually saying is pretty ambiguous.
God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:10
This contains no geological information at all.
before he had made the earth with its fields, or the first of the dust of the world. When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
Proverbs 8:26-27
Again, no real information here. just religious folklore.
To him that stretched out the earth above the waters:"
Psalms 136:6
Not geology. Ambiguous.

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep were burst open, and the sky's windows were opened. The rain was on the earth forty days and forty nights.
Genesis 7:11-12
"The fountains of the great deep were burst open" is more poetry than geology. Yours is a personal interpretation.
Six hundred years? Do you really find this plausible?
Not floating like ship on water. Floating like heavy item lifted by hydraulic pressure. Water is really good material in hydraulic pressure systems. If can lift really heavy stuff, if water can’t escape, like in the case of the original continent that was stretched above water, as the Bible tells.
What evidence is there for all this subterranean water? How would this be explained geologically? Where did all the water go when it receded?
Really, and why do you believe that? Because person in white jacket say so and you have no other choice than believe blindly?
No, because the people in the white jackets are following the actual, empirical evidence. They're considering what's physically possible, they're testing it; comparing it to findings from other disciplines.
The religious are starting from an established opinion, looking for confirmatory evidence, testing nothing.
Sorry, I don’t believe that. If you ask why, the answer is, because there is no intelligent reason to believe so.
Why do you doubt this? I don't think you understand the evidence, investigative techniques, consilient evidence or scientific method. blind faith in folklore is not intelligent reason.
Water has not disappeared. Earth has been compressed more, which is why oceans have gotten deeper, resulting in water level to go down. After the flood, lot of organic stuff was flushed to cavities below earth. In compression it has turned into oil and at the same time, it has lowered the level of earth. Other place is the glaciers.
The geomorphology of the Earth at this time is known. The amount of water needed to submerge everything has been calculated.
There is not that much water.

The Bible's inconsistent, contradictory, and often just wrong. You must be aware of this.

Bible is not contradictory or wrong. If you have contradictory interpretation of it, it doesn’t mean it is wrong or contradictory.

Six hundred years? Do you really find this plausible?

Yes.

What evidence is there for all this subterranean water? How would this be explained geologically? Where did all the water go when it receded?

Because the water is not anymore same way subterranean, we obviously can’t see it. We can see only the results of broken continent and vast sediment formations as the result of the collapse of the original continent and escaped water. One sign of this is the Mid-Atlantic ridge. From there water has flown carried sediments towards Grand Canyon and caused large part of its sediment strata.

And as I think I have already said, water receded when it was collected into the great glaciers, which according to modern science were really vast. After it, earth has been compressed more so that it seems water level has decreased.

The amount of water needed to submerge everything has been calculated.

Wrongly, because it is based on wrong assumptions.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Bible is not contradictory or wrong. If you have contradictory interpretation of it, it doesn’t mean it is wrong or contradictory.

I see. So interpreting Genesis literally would be wrong. I think that I can agree with you on that.

Yes.

Because the water is not anymore same way subterranean, we obviously can’t see it. We can see only the results of broken continent and vast sediment formations as the result of the collapse of the original continent and escaped water. One sign of this is the Mid-Atlantic ridge. From there water has flown carried sediments towards Grand Canyon and caused large part of its sediment strata.

Oops, I was too optimistic. We know when the Pangaea began to break up. That began roughly 200 million years ago. It was not due to a worldwide flood that never happened. You really should try to learn why we know that your interpretation is terribly wrong.

And as I think I have already said, water receded when it was collected into the great glaciers, which according to modern science were really vast. After it, earth has been compressed more so that it seems water level has decreased.[/quoite]

Sorry, but the Earth cannot be "compressed" in that way.

Wrongly, because it is based on wrong assumptions.

No, that is wrong. We know how old the tallest mountains are. We can calculate how much water would be needed. What wrong "assumptions" do you think that there were? You put the burden of proof upon yourself when you make such a claim.

I see. So interpreting Genesis literally would be wrong. I think that I can agree with you on that.

Sorry, you understood wrongly. If person doesn’t make own interpretations, but reads the text truthfully as it is written and lets Bible explain, then there are no contradictions. When people add own meanings, then they get lost.

…. We know when the Pangaea began to break up. That began roughly 200 million years ago…

How do you know that?

Sorry, but the Earth cannot be "compressed" in that way.

There is no reason to think earth was compressed so that it could not be compressed more. Also, if the flood happened so that it was the original continent that was broken and sunk, it is easily possible that it didn’t go straight to the bottom, but there remained cavities. When the water came top of the part of continent, it begun to compress the continent. And if there were cavities below it, the water could have compressed the earth lower.

Interesting evidence for water that was captured and compressed in earth, evidence for the great flood:
https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2018/03/15/diamonds-study-deep-water-may-exist-lower-mantle/

No, that is wrong. We know how old the tallest mountains are. We can calculate how much water would be needed. What wrong "assumptions" do you think that there were?

You believe you know. But there is no way to confirm your belief. And yes, we can calculate, but the world is not same today as it was before and right after the flood. Therefore, you fail.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sorry, you understood wrongly. If person doesn’t make own interpretations, but reads the text truthfully as it is written and lets Bible explain, then there are no contradictions. When people add own meanings, then they get lost.

That is clearly wrong. There are countless self contradictions in the Bible. That is why apologists exist. They try to make excuses for the obvious errors in the Bible.

How do you know that?

The scientific evidence tells us when it happened through quite a few ways. Would you like to learn?

There is no reason to think earth was compressed so that it could not be compressed more. Also, if the flood happened so that it was the original continent that was broken and sunk, it is easily possible that it didn’t go straight to the bottom, but there remained cavities. When the water came top of the part of continent, it begun to compress the continent. And if there were cavities below it, the water could have compressed the earth lower.

You really need to take a basic physics course to begin with. And a bit of geology as well. Perhaps some structural engineering would help. What you are proposing is nonsense.

You believe you know. But there is no way to confirm your belief. And yes, we can calculate, but the world is not same today as it was before and right after the flood. Therefore, you fail.

Sorry, but this is massive projection on your part. I can support my beliefs. I can show you how I know. You are the one with mere belief. You believe in a book of myths. Would you like to learn why and how we know that you are wrong?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe when I see. I think best you can do is to show some kind of circular reasoning that is based on some great assumption. And for me that is just not enough.
Nope, that is your flaw. You are not reasoning properly. My knowledge is based upon applying the scientific method. If you wish to lean why we know that you are wrong I will gladly help you. If you wish to remain ignorant there is nothing that I can do except to correct your continual and obvious errors.

And remember, creationists are banned from using the word "assumption" unless they can demonstrate the assumption. It amounts to a breaking of the Ninth Commandment if you can't support your claims.

EDIT: Also without proper training when you see it you will not recognize it. I could give you a single photo that refutes the flood, but since you lack the necessary knowledge it would only look like a pretty picture to you.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Even if that would be true about the text that we have found, it is possible that we just have not found the oldest scriptures. Hebrews can have had the message transferred orally much longer.
The Sumerian Flood story is actually already based on centuries older oral tradition of Ziusudra, before it was written down 24th-22nd centuries BCE.

Floods occurred annually along wither Euphrates and Tigris, which were usually not to severe and that helped with depositing fertile loam (due to erosion of soil, north of mwith irrigating the land, but the legend of Ziusudra was actually based on a real 29th century BCE flood, that was more destructive, and evidences were found in the Sumerian city Shuruppak.

2900 BCE marked the end of Jemdet Nasr period (c 3050 - c 2900 BCE) and the beginning of the Early Dynastic I period (or ED I, c 2900 - c 2750 BCE).

The Early Dynastic period ended with ED IV about 2350 BCE, with the start of Sargon of Akkad, known as Sargon the Great, reign c 2334 - c 2274 BCE. Sargon was founder of Akkadian dynasty and responsible for the Akkadian empire, the first true empire.

The Akkadian period (c 2350 - 2147 BCE) and the 3rd dynasty of Ur (known as the Sumerian Renaissance, c 2047 - 1940 BCE) saw the flourishing of both Akkadian and Sumerian literature. It is around these times that we have literary evidences that oral traditions were transmitted into written literature.

Lots of Sumerian poems were written, including the creation and flood myth Eridu Genesis and the earliest Sumerian poems of Gilgamesh (particularly the tablet known as the Death of Gilgames), which Ziusudra appeared in both.

The thing is the Genesis 10 claimed a number of cities were found in Shinar (Babylonia) and Assyria, by Nimrod, a great grandson of Noah. No such person existed in Mesopotamia.

For instance, Sargon was born in Akkad, a city that Nimrod supposedly built. Sargon was a real historical figure, Nimrod is purely mythological and fictional character.

What you don’t seemed to understand 1213, is that many of Sumerian cities predated Sargon, and some even predated the Sumerian civilization (3050 BCE), like Ur and Uruk, both of which existed 2000 years earlier.

Genesis 10 claimed that Uruk (which some translations of Bible called Erech) didn’t exist until after the flood, but archaeology showed that the earliest settlement of Uruk (referred to as Uruk XVIII) were inhabited as early as c 5000 BCE.

Uruk, like many cities in the Near East, newer settlements on top of earlier settlements.

Throughout the 4th millennium BCE (4000 to 3000 BCE, which are Uruk XVI to III), Uruk was the most important city in Mesopotamia. Temples were built to the goddess Inanna in the Enanna district of Uruk, between 3600 to 3300 BCE. In the Anu district, a stone temple, known as the White Temple, was built on top of the Anu ziggurat.

Furthermore, if there were Noah’s flood around 2350 or 2300 BCE, then there should be evidences of flood stratum and debris in Uruk, Ur, Kish and other cities, dated to the same time. There are not.

Clearly what Genesis say about post-Flood and Sumerian cities are wrong, historically and archaeologically.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Perhaps the dove simply wasn't able to reach the edge of the flood waters in time, therefore necessitating its return.
Doves can travel as much as 150 miles a day, and that just during daylight hours. That’s still a lot of ground.

Man can only walk about 45 miles in 12 hours.

Pigeons are more robust and can faster and further than doves, so they can travel as much as 500 to 700 in that same hours in a single day).