• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life's mission

Scorn

Pulled from another thread
Prima said:
Entirely true, Scorn. Hey! I have another quote for that! I say, why say it yourself when someone else has already said it well?

A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion....this is the place to go now.
But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.

So, do you think it's possible to see the 'ultimate mission'?

I personally think that our 'individual missions' help in achieving the 'ultimate mission' It's like seeing things on two different levels. When we view it as ourselves, our goals are important. But when we have a 'heavenly viewpoint' we see that everyone's goals are important.

Also, do you think we can know what our 'mission' is before we fulfill it, or will we only know once we're done?

I'm not sure if it's possible to see an "ultimate mission" for the individual, assuming there is one. I think our goals are in a continuous state of change. I suppose if we could peer into the future and see what life is going to deal you then perhaps we could understand what the mission is, or at least design that mission.

If there is a larger mission for humanity, then I worry that it suffers from interpretation.

linwood

I suppose if we could peer into the future and see what life is going to deal you then perhaps we could understand what the mission is, or at least design that mission.

I`m not even so sure of the Scorn considering that act of seeing the result would affect the "mission" and most probably change the result regardless of what the altered "mission" was striving for.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scorn said:
Pulled from another thread

I'm not sure if it's possible to see an "ultimate mission" for the individual, assuming there is one. I think our goals are in a continuous state of change. I suppose if we could peer into the future and see what life is going to deal you then perhaps we could understand what the mission is, or at least design that mission.

If there is a larger mission for humanity, then I worry that it suffers from interpretation.
[/font]
Would'nt that defeat the whole exercise ? - that's like reading the last page of a novel half way through!:)

Scorn

linwood said:
I suppose if we could peer into the future and see what life is going to deal you then perhaps we could understand what the mission is, or at least design that mission.

I`m not even so sure of the Scorn considering that act of seeing the result would affect the "mission" and most probably change the result regardless of what the altered "mission" was striving for.
So true. The time travel paradox perhaps? And who's to say, for arguments sake, if you could alter it, that would that not be the intent?

Scorn

michel said:
Would'nt that defeat the whole exercise ? - that's like reading the last page of a novel half way through!:)
Oh yes! Don't get me wrong, I was really just posing the question.:)

cardero

Citizen Mod
michel said:
Not necessarily, remember when we used the idea of the tree and the branches or the winding roads to complete life paths? I am on the understanding that there are dedicated individuals who are very adamant about staying the course that they have planned and there are some individuals who have included a sort of "fail-safe" mechanism to explore and/or complete other PURPOSES for their lives. There are no failures in life, just different experiences.

Scorn

carrdero said:
Not necessarily, remember when we used the idea of the tree and the branches or the winding roads to complete life paths? I am on the understanding that there are dedicated individuals who are very adamant about staying the course that they have planned and there are some individuals who have included a sort of "fail-safe" mechanism to explore and/or complete other PURPOSES for their lives. There are no failures in life, just different experiences.
I agree carrdero, but one needs to take into account the curveballs. If you could see them in advance, it would effect how you might react. But as I suggested before, perhaps that could really be the master plan in effect.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Things like pain, anguish and suffering could be life affirming experiences. One of the things that I like to do with my mistakes is to examine them, reflect on them, learn from them. It doesn't do a being any good to regret, harp, dwell on these things. The curveballs can only get easier to spot as wisdom sets in.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
carrdero said:
Things like pain, anguish and suffering could be life affirming experiences. One of the things that I like to do with my mistakes is to examine them, reflect on them, learn from them. It doesn't do a being any good to regret, harp, dwell on these things. The curveballs can only get easier to spot as wisdom sets in.

I agree with that completely; to me pain, anguish and suffering are the 'proof' that we're 'learning'; if we 'choose' not to learn from them, that's just a waste of 'suffering'. i often find that when I'm explaining past errors and suffering to others, they take it as my 'regretting, harping on, dwelling on...' whereas I am really merely 'recounting' what has happened.

In fact I feel I can be quite justified in feeling achievement having 'got through' some of the things I have got through (although they may sound insignificant and puny to others); as far as I'm concerned, it's all about learning; the quicker I learn 'it' the better!!:)

Lightkeeper

I think there's a possibility that if you think you know what your mission is, it might not be your mission. Knowing would be perpetrating. A leaf in the wind doesn't know where it's going to land, where it will fold back into the earth and enable new life.

Melody

michel said:
My husband goes bonkers when he sees me reading the end of the book first, but to be honest, I enjoy the book sooo much more once I know how it comes out. I *hate* finding out that the character I've been so sympathetic to is actually the bad guy. I'm not sure what that says about me. :rolleyes:

I'd probably enjoy life so much more if I could read the end.