• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life on other planets.

royol

What do you think of this theory?
If in the future life is found on another planet, Atheists will point to this as proof that there is no God, ( it's not mentioned in the bible) but God knew about this, but just didn't tell us.

kevmicsmi

royol said:
If in the future life is found on another planet, Atheists will point to this as proof that there is no God, ( it's not mentioned in the bible) but God knew about this, but just didn't tell us.
Cheeseburgers werent mentioned in the Bible either, although I dont think that necessarily proves there is no God:p

nutshell

royol said:

God knew about this because he created everything and he did tell us. It's found in the LDS scripture Moses 1:33: "And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten."

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
royol said:

Toasters are not mentioned in the Bible, but this isn't proof there is no God.

eudaimonia,

Mark

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
I thought it was pretty much already determined that there was life on other planets. Haven't bacterias and such been discovered on one of Jupiter's moons, and similar organisms on other planets in our solar system?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
zombieharlot said:
I thought it was pretty much already determined that there was life on other planets. Haven't bacterias and such been discovered on one of Jupiter's moons, and similar organisms on other planets in our solar system?

Not that I've heard. I know there was some speculation that microorganisms were discovered in Martian rock, but I don't think this was ever confirmed.

If you know of any good articles online that show that microorganisms were discovered on one of Jupiter's moons, please post it! :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

I don't see why there couldn't be life on other planets. It is a vast universe. For all we know there could be countless universes with countless diminsions with countless planets with life on them. We don't know this yet. Our technology is getting better, but we are still in the technological stone age so to speak. Would it effect belief in religion, probably. However, the bible is nothing more than a blip on the knowledge map. There is more knowledge outside of the bible than there is inside. Sorry if I offend anyone, but it is the truth. If the divine created this universe than it created everything including other extra-earth species. For all we know, angels are in another dimension or on another planet. There are more questions than answers. Me personally, if we find life and I imagine we will at some point in the future than great. It would be great to find that out in my life time.

Morgaine

cardero

Citizen Mod
royol said:

It's mentioned in my Bible too.

"Realize the many planets and physical societies support life. Even though the desire for entities to incarnate into one of these physical realms is high, there is no waiting list. Some societies are overpopulated, but the "turnover rate" is fairly lenient. That is why souls are recycled – so everyONE is given a fair chance to incarnate and experience different societies and lifestyles. The chances of growth are much more evident and varied through the challenges of a physical existence."

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: The One True GOD?
Pg. 331

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
morgainesapphire said:
...However, the bible is nothing more than a blip on the knowledge map. There is more knowledge outside of the bible than there is inside...
No offense taken here. For that matter, you could say "There is more knowledge outside of ________ than there is inside." and fill in the blank with whatever reference source you can think of. I don't think any one has claimed that the Bible was complete source of knowledge, so the statement is really a non sequitar.
royol said:
If in the future life is found on another planet
Let's presume that there IS life on other planets.
royol said:
Atheists will point to this as proof that there is no God
Please explain your logic of how your presumption led to this conclusion.
royol said:
( it's not mentioned in the bible) but God knew about this, but just didn't tell us.
Nutshell cited a good reference that proves this statement false.

I have some thoughts on the theory in the OP...I'd just like the thread starter to better articulate his thought process before I share them. Now, that's not too much to ask.:jiggy:

btw..ChrisP...neat pics.

royol

royol said:

I am glad to see some negative feedback on the statement I made, but alas not negative enough.
I was just trying to point out that no matter what is proved or disproved, there will always be someone who will find a reason to believe in a God, if a thousand planets were found to contain intelligent life, it would make no difference what so ever, people would still believe what they had been brought up to believe, in fact it might even reinforce their belief, God would become even more powerful in their minds than he already is.

The LDS bible cannot be sited as proof as it was only written less than two hundred years ago, they knew about the planets when it was written, in fact they knew a lot about psychology as well.

And I agree, just because it is not in the bible does not make it unbelievable, (even though people often quote the bible as proof of something)
and as someone else said on this site, 'Once a person has been captured, they remain captured'.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
royol said:
I was just trying to point out that no matter what is proved or disproved, there will always be someone who will find a reason to believe in a God, if a thousand planets were found to contain intelligent life, it would make no difference what so ever, people would still believe what they had been brought up to believe, in fact it might even reinforce their belief, God would become even more powerful in their minds than he already is.
Perhaps "it would make no difference" because, in fact, it makes no difference. All you've shown here is a capacity for sloppy and irrational argument.

Simon Gnosis

The very existance of life forms on other planets would strengthen my faith in God's existance.

It would not make sense to create a massive multi trillion star universe for only one rock out of countless billions to actually bear life.
It goes against every scientific observation we have made about planets and stars etc.. and it even opposes mathematical probabilty itself to say we are alone.
The chances of Earth being the only planet to have or ever to have harboured life in the universe are literally trillions to one.

It seems a curiously regressive attitude to have, believing we are alone, but its one I find in certain types of believer, to me it seems quite perverse but then thats just my particular viewpoint, and I don't know if this reflects Gnostics generally.

If we ever get any official contact then that will shut the nay sayers up forever..arguement settled

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Simon Gnosis said:
It would not make sense to create a massive multi trillion star universe for only one rock out of countless billions to actually bear life.
The presumption that the Cosmos should "make sense" to you is a common and unfounded delusion.

Simon Gnosis

Jayhawker Soule said:
The presumption that the Cosmos should "make sense" to you is a common and unfounded delusion.

Just because you see the truth in my words there is no need to get uppity.