• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life is a series of opportunities to practice unconditional compassion

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In a world as troubled as this one, compassion is a TALL order!

It definitely is NOT for the faint-hearted.

It is easier to love "everyone" in theory than it is to love an actual real-life flawed and imperfect human being in practice.

Any thoughts?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Life is a series of opportunities to practice unconditional compassion. True, until you get it right, then it's more an automatic response. I'm not so sure that having compassion for those around you is the same as loving everyone which, in my view, is highly unrealistic. I don't have to love something to feel compassion for their plight.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The problem is an old one

A2DerRUCQAEiHSS.jpg+large.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Life is a series of opportunities to practice unconditional compassion. True, until you get it right, then it's more an automatic response. I'm not so sure that having compassion for those around you is the same as loving everyone which, in my view, is highly unrealistic. I don't have to love something to feel compassion for their plight.

Thanks for sharing!

A great little book is called "The Lost Art of Compassion" by Lorne Ladner.

Well worth people having a read ...

Cheers!

allfoak

Alchemist
We must love our neighbor as we love ourself.
We seem to have the most trouble with the second part.
Selfishness is not love of self.
If we truly know what it is to love ourselves, we will also love others.
"To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We must love our neighbor as we love ourself.
We seem to have the most trouble with the second part.
Selfishness is not love of self.
If we truly know what it is to love ourselves, we will also love others.
"To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Wise words.

Thanks for sharing!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It is easier to love "everyone" in theory than it is to love an actual real-life flawed and imperfect human being in practice.

Any thoughts?
Well compassion comes in many forms. ;0)

I do like the unconditional part. It would help make the world a better place if more people practice it.

Mark Dohle

Any thoughts?
I guess the "Death to Self" that Christ talked about has something to do what you are brilnging up.
A long hard journey with many sets back. Buddhism as well, speaks about this.