• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life From Dirt?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, you are due for a Noble price in effect, if you can show that other than just claiming it.
That hardly merits a Nobel Prize on my part. That is merely proper application of the scientific method.
Yeah, no evidence given for your use of worthless or value. And you simply deflect as all believers do, when tasked to clarify.
I am not playing silly word games with you. If you don't understand this it is not my problem.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That hardly merits a Nobel Prize on my part. That is merely proper application of the scientific method.

I am not playing silly word games with you. If you don't understand this it is not my problem.

Evidence please, that is silly. Come on, you believer in the objective. Do it objective as you believe you can do it.

RestlessSoul

But, by the same standard, there are many determined theists for whom anybody who has sought but not found are simply disqualified as having "not looked hard enough". What the statement "Seek and ye shall find" seems often to mean is less "Investigate yourself and you will find the truth" so much as "Keep searching until you reach the same conclusion as I have, until then I will dismiss any searching you do". At least, that is a fairly common thing that comes up in debates from my perspective.

Absolutely. The stubborn refusal to listen, and to understand the perspective of others, is not confined to any one group. Being seen to be right often takes precedence over willingness to learn.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, that is subjective. ;)
Then tell us, why the universe seems to exist (real or virtual)? What thinks that it exists? Don't take it otherwise, but I think you have a brain. Is that not true - subjective?
The stubborn refusal to listen, and to understand the perspective of others, is not confined to any one group. Being seen to be right often takes precedence over willingness to learn.
What to listen? Religious blah-blah? Did that for more than 40 years, studied Bible and Quran. I understand the theist view perfectly.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What do you need evidence for? At times you do not seem to understand when or how it is needed.

You use in effect a subjective system of understanding as everybody else capable of holding a complex worldview. You just subjectively believe yours is in effect objective.
There is a reason it is called methodological naturalism, when it comes to science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Then tell us, why the universe seems to exist (real or virtual)? What thinks that it exists?

Sorry, the rest of my world calls right now. But that is not science, that is philosophy.
And there is a reason it is called methodological naturalism as for science and that is philosophy.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You use in effect a subjective system of understanding as everybody else capable of holding a complex worldview. You just subjectively believe yours is in effect objective.
There is a reason it is called methodological naturalism, when it comes to science.
You are blind to your own errors. As I said, sometimes evidence applies. Sometimes it does not. You are asking philosophical questions, not evidence based questions.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well I make things up according to you but why say that my examples are not real.
Coz they are not.
And you sure can't give examples of
your fantasy "examples".

Instead of trying to put it on me, like I am
lying when I comment on you making things up,
how about elevating the level of discourse- and
your credibility- by not so wantonly mixing in your
made up " facts"?

Audie

Veteran Member
Haven't you heard that most atheists don't think that God does not exist. They don't know and ask for evidence that science can use and investigate to tell them if God does exist or not.
See, you made that up too.
And tossed in an extreme insult to intelligence.
Only a really stupid or totally uneducated person
would think proof of god, orcany physical
evidence exists or is possible.
Smooth move.

RestlessSoul

It is not good enough me or science. We all know that Bible was compiled in the 3rd Century. NT is an addition to an older book.
Sure, if something is not proven, I would not believe it.

I sought for half my life and found what I needed, but it is not any God. I found the truth in Brahman, 'physical energy', the sole constituent of all that exists in the universe.

Okay, you found what you need. At most, you lifted a corner of the veil. With respect, I doubt you have glimpsed more than a fraction of the infinite mysteries of existence. I doubt any of us have.

Audie

Veteran Member
Sorry, when I said represent I probably meant that the images looked like their gods.
Represent in some symbolic way is different and we do not know what Jesus looked like, but an picture of a man to represent Jesus sounds fine to me as long as it is seen for what it is, art, and not for what it represents.

We also have Hindu art from Bali and Catholic are from when I was growing up.

That's true, and I think it over in an ongoing way.
Did you figure out that the " idol" worship of ancoent times is indistinguishable from the Christian
version today?

Audie

Veteran Member
Okay, you found what you need. At most, you lifted a corner of the veil. With respect, I doubt you have glimpsed more than a fraction of the infinite mysteries of existence. I doubt any of us have.
Especially if your quest is for a nonexistent " god ".

Audie

Veteran Member
Not that would satisfy the determined atheist anyway, who has in many cases made up his mind prior to investigation. That there are those believers who can bear witness the verse "Seek, and ye shall find", is of no value to he who will not hear.
Nice to hear that disbelief in that which
has zero evidence is intellectual dishonesty.

Here I thought " seek and you will find" was the deadly
enemy of actual research, objective testing of data.

Turns out people in tobacco research were doing
admirably, seeking evidence that tobacco is harmless.