• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LH Taoism and Good books to start with

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Left Hand Taoism or Buddhism. Also this is really the first time I am really going to look into LHP. Could someone give me a list of good books to start off with? Also also, has anyone heard of Mortin's List?

KHPR

Social Meritocratist
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Left Hand Taoism or Buddhism. Also this is really the first time I am really going to look into LHP. Could someone give me a list of good books to start off with? Also also, has anyone heard of Mortin's List?

There was a group within the ToS called the Vama Marg, which I don't think was invented by the ToS, but was a truly LHP version of Buddhism. If the link provided talks about that my apologies.

Xeper,
Magister Robert Adams
Host, KHPR: The Voice of Darkness

ktf

The Vama Marga literally means "left hand path". This was the term used in the "Hindu" tantras for the forms of initiation that used all elements of life to propel the initiate towards enlightenment. Vama Marga practices involved transgressing cultural taboo and the use of sex magic. The term left hand path supposedly originates with this tradition for at least 2 reasons:
1. The Shakti (female embodiment of the Goddess) would sit to the left of the male practioner in Vama Marga Workings.
2. The energy channels in the body that carry the feminine engeries 9the Dark energies) were thought to be located on the left hand side of the body.
--I would speculate that a third reason could be that the left hand is seen as unclean in the East and hence the use of this left hand would be the breaking of a taboo--

If you are interested in the LHP aspects of Buddhism you should investigate the Vajrayana schools...particularly the Kagyu and Nyingmapa sects. You really have to dig down to get past the surface levels though. I would recommend looking into the practice known as "Phowa". This is a form of meditation/initiation that works towards the ultimate end of the individual consciousness existing beyond phyiscal death.

A good source on Vama Marga would be:
Amazon.com: AGHORA, At the Left Hand of God (Aghora) (v. I) (9780914732211): Robert E. Svoboda: Books

I would also highly recommend:
Amazon.com: Demons of the Flesh: The Complete Guide to Left-Hand Path Sex Magic…

The first book deals with the Vama Marga from the "Hindu" tradition. The second book is a broad overview of LHP ideas and practices in both "Hindu" and Buddhist traditions as well as the Western manifestations.

Good Luck!