• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lefty loonies and liberals, what the hell happened to us?

dust1n

Zindīq
That's just one example, the broader point is that unearned advantages are taken away, while disadvantages are corrected by elevation of the disadvantaged.

Again... there is nothing about unearned advantages that suggests they are "taken away."

Whether person A is called advantaged over person B, or person B disadvantaged in comparison to person A, it doesn't rely on how responds to either one of those wordings. My question is what is different about person A having the advantage as oppose to person B having the disadvantage. I'm not asking how one might or how one should respond to either scenario.

The other issue is that it suggests the privilege is the deviation, while disadvantaged status is normative.

I don't know what "it" refers to, thus I have no idea how "it" suggests anything about privilege.

But it is not a privilege to be free from racial profiling, for example, or racist prosecution. That's a right, not a privilege.

No, it's a privilege. A right is something a government recognizes as a privilege to it's citizens, however it defines it. A privilege could be a right, but a privilege would be an access to a means of accomplishing some goal or acting in some way without the inequitable hindrance of society, whether it's a right or not.

You could have a law that decrees it illegal for segregation in the school system. You have a right. Or the school system could be de facto segregated despite the law, where one segregation gets more resources than another. The population that gets the more resources would be having a privilege, because it's access equips that population more fully for a means of accomplishing some goal or acting in some way without the inequitable hindrance of society.

I wonder why advocates insist on the privilege language when it is so clearly a poor method of communicating these issues.

Except it's clearly not for so many people.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Discovering that a nice guy & competent worker of mine was a psychopathic serial killer really puts a different perspective on things. Fortunately, he's in prison for life now.
I'm not going to lie, that would straight up creep the **** out of me if that happened to me. And after the eeriness of the idea of potentially having lived on as a part of some serial killer's trophy collection, I'd be obliged to write an acid-trip guided prog-death metal song about it.
This is news to me. It must be some novel use of the term "real".
It's used in the same way in that "real" is abused by members of just about any group who live with the false delusion that their group is pure and no "true" one of us could ever even think of doing such a thing. This is frequently used by Christians to dismiss Christian terrorism. In the world of debate, it would fall along the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not going to lie, that would straight up creep the **** out of me if that happened to me. And after the eeriness of the idea of potentially having lived on as a part of some serial killer's trophy collection, I'd be obliged to write an acid-trip guided prog-death metal song about it.
As far as I know, he kept no trophies....it appears that the chopped up people in the cooler in his trunk (when he was arrested) were on their way to being disposed of.
More on him here.....
My Old Computer Guy's Foiled Prison Escape! | ReligiousForums.com
Creepy though he be, it didn't bother me that I knew & associated with him. I find it merely fascinating. He preyed on vulnerable people (homeless men, children, weak women, people lacking social connections).
One of his tricks:
He'd go to Detroit homeless shelters & pretend to look for men to help get back on their feet by providing them with work. He'd interview them, but actually this was to assume their identities & murder them. The cops enjoyed telling me about him cuz in their search for a couple suspected of being victims, I was the nexus for all of them. This sort of comes with the territory when you own a self storage facility.

Last edited: