• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Left Path, Right Path, Middle Path?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

images

Anyone willing to explain what makes something a Left path vs a Right path?
Also the Middle path(way) I see as Buddhism. Does this fit somewhere in the Left path, Right path ideology or is the terminology a completely different paradigm of thought.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In my faith right hand path is the approach which appeals to God's will and mercy. The left hand path appeals to God's strict judgement and retibution. The middle path attempts to use both pathes through moderation. No extreme appeals to mercy or judgement.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My question is in whether or not there is truly a discernable difference between merging with the Absolute (rhp), and full Self-actualization (LHP)...

Viker

Häxan
I often consider the dichotomies myself. Still, I think I am on the Left Hand Path yet veering towards a moderate and balanced way. I don't see them as black/white as many do.

These actually deal more with esoteric philosophies and practice. They more specifically address how magic is conducted.

Such as, Wicca considers itself on the Right. Working magic/witchcraft with things like the threefold law, never harming others, etc.

Thelema is either outside this whole dichotomy crux or utilizes a universal approach. But could be considered the "middle way".

Diabolism or black magic (my practice I refer more to as sinister witchcraft) works with anything and responsibly applies darker/deeper approach if needed. It doesn't allow itself to be fettered to conventional moral systems.

It's all a matter of personal perspective. I do not consider this dichotomy about duality as much as about purpose and intention. It's not a clear good vs. evil kind of thing.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
In Buddhism, the Middle Path means avoiding the extremes of devotion to sense pleasure (id functions) and devotion to self-affliction (superego functions.) (Devotion to basically means shutting down your discernment regarding a specific action, whereby Buddhism is about developing discernment (ego functions) regarding each specific action.)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
images

Also the Middle path(way) I see as Buddhism. Does this fit somewhere in the Left path, Right path ideology or is the terminology a completely different paradigm of thought.

I've nothing to say about Left or Right, but in regard to the Middle Path in Buddhism, it is used to refer to two major aspects of the teaching:
  1. As a practice which avoids both extreme asceticism and sensual indulgence. This practice is the "noble eightfold path."
  2. It also refers to how the Teaching approaches the issues of existence and personal identity, by avoiding both eternalism and annihilationism. see - Middle Way - Wikipedia

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
My question is in whether or not there is truly a discernable difference between merging with the Absolute (rhp), and full Self-actualization (LHP)...
images

The fun part is that the right, left and middle is also here if you can spot it:
"philosophy, (from Greek, by way of Latin, philosophia, “love of wisdom”) the rational, abstract, and methodical consideration of reality as a whole or of fundamental dimensions of human existence and experience. ..."
philosophy | Definition, Systems, Fields, Schools, & Biographies

Just replace the or with a combination of the 2. :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
images

Regarding Buddhism: Buddha started out in the area's left-hand path by withdrawing from his princely position in society to study with the wandering shramana. He excelled in the practices more than his teachers but didn't become enlightened until he broke the "rules" of that system by accepting food while he was meditating under the Bodhi tree. So yes, Buddha was a heretic to both the established right-hand path and to the established left-hand path systems of the area.

PearlSeeker

In my faith right hand path is the approach which appeals to God's will and mercy. The left hand path appeals to God's strict judgement and retibution. The middle path attempts to use both pathes through moderation. No extreme appeals to mercy or judgement.
The middle pillar.

PearlSeeker

There is difference but there is no exclusion.

Original Maslow's hierarchy of needs placed self-actualization at the top. But toward the end of his life, Maslow realized his hierarchy was incomplete. He added self-transcendence at the top as the pinnacle.

So self-transcendence isn't a step away from self-actualization. It's just a step above.

Maslow's forgotten pinnacle: Self-transcendence