• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebanese Band’s Concert Is Canceled After It’s Accused of Blasphemy

Road Less Traveled

I read the posts in this thread. It's okay if you don't have a response but I know how to read, so the problem isn't on my end. You whined about people insulting "purity" and girls being like Madonna and then equated those things with threats of violence. You are the one who wrote the sentence where those three things are listed and said they're "all pretty jacked up".

3 things jacked up and listed. Not my problem if you want to equate them and think that I gave them equal value and weight.

You aren’t sounding well, and I have no desire to have to explain anything anymore.

Road Less Traveled

I did, and I think it's an awfully long, pseudo-sophisticated word salad that beats around the bush instead of getting to the core issue--the threats of violence for the mere expression of freedom of speech.

The cancellation of the concert points to an intellectually and culturally stifled environment where dissent of religious thought is often met with hostility and blind hatred. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. This is not exclusive to any specific religion; at this point it seems to be as much a cultural ailment as it is a manifestation of any religious belief. There are millions of religious people elsewhere who don't threaten violence upon feeling offended.

You don’t think I’m aware of that?

Well, look what it’s done. Deliberately tick people off, and now likely there will be even more laws and bans regarding artists performing. All I mentioned were there would have been better ways to get subliminal messages/messages to youths without getting more freedom of expressions likely banned from the country in the future. The whole thing was counterproductive. Remove the Madonna and go into the concert and rock it for the youths. Not that difficult.

I’m also sorry if you’d like to twist words too so you accuse me of saying or mentioning that threats with violence are okay or less important than offending, or freedom of expression. So you can also sound heroic and righteous.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
3 things jacked up and listed. Not my problem if you want to equate them and think that I gave them equal value and weight.

You aren’t sounding well, and I have no desire to have to explain anything anymore.
Stop trying to turn it around on me and actually own your words. Maybe you should be more clear next time. I can only go on what you write.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Lebanese Band’s Concert Is Canceled After It’s Accused of Blasphemy

‘A Lebanese music festival has canceled a concert by a major indie music band, Mashrou’ Leila, after it was accused of blasphemy and received death threats because a member had shared an image of the singer Madonna as the Virgin Mary.

The controversy has raised questions about religious tolerance and freedom of expression in the relatively moderate, multi-sectarian and Muslim-majority country.

The Byblos International Festival, one of the country’s most popular music events, canceled the Aug. 9 concert by Mashrou’ Leila over fears of “bloodshed” after the image angered the Maronite Christian Church and prompted threats of violence from hard-line Christian critics.’

Read more here: Lebanese Band’s Concert Is Canceled After It’s Accused of Blasphemy

It figures that it's a Muslim majority country... Learned behavior.